THR Got'er done!

Happy one week.:)

I'm already fearful for you.:unsure:

I'm on your daughter's side.:yes:
 
Wayfarer, What hip did you have surgery on? My guess is the left since your thoughts of driving so soon are my same thoughts. Almost followed my wife to take one of our vehicles to the shop today but I gave in to her objections and it wasn't worth the fight.
Your days of recovery are pretty much a lot like mine. I had the posterior surgery a day after you had the anterior approach and we are experiencing a lot of the same issues. Different type of surgery but same time frame.
I also watched a lot of football playoffs once again without my choking Vikings playing this past weekend. Still there were some good games to watch.
My 3 Blue Healer dogs are outside dogs and I have no stairs so I have it pretty easy not having to maneuver on stairs or around animals at home.
I was prescribed all kinds of meds the first week but after tonight the only thing I will have is my good friend Vicodin and some aspirin for an additional week. No more Oxy after tonight. We will see how that goes.
I also am stiff after extended time laying on a sofa or sleeping. I have no problem getting up and standing (by myself or with assistance) but the first few steps need to be SLOW. Hard to do sometimes when you have to go to the bathroom badly.
After I "walk it off" I get around pretty good on the walker putting easily 70% weight on the surgical leg with long strides. Today I was able to take a few baby steps on bedroom carpet without my hands putting any pressure on the walker. I told my PT about that and she gave me a dirty look. Looking forward to switching to a cane sometime this week to share walker use time. Ordered a cool looking wooden one on Amazon last night. Will be here tomorrow.
Your routine of elevating the legs and icing after activity is what works for me also. I need to walk and move around every few hours to relieve the stiffness, but also moving around or doing the PT exercises also creates some discomfort or mild pain where I need to take something, ice, laydown, and rest.
I have tried to work in my home office the past two mornings, but find it difficult to sit for any period of time. I am sure that will get better with time as told by others.
Let us know how driving goes tomorrow (I think it sounded you weren't going to listen to your daughter)
 
Mojo and blue, it wasn’t a big conversation. My daughter and I agreed that I would drive down to my office and if she felt at all uncomfortable with my driving, then she would drive back home—we took the dogs with us. I’m lucky in that my house and office are in the same city, maybe a ten minute drive—it could be a seven minute commute depending on the one or two stop lights. She asked how I was feeling driving. I said my groin, left side was a little “pointed” with discomfort—I would definitely not be doing a 750 mile day like I can during road trip travels in the summer. But I would probably have the same feeling as a passenger in a car—I think as much when wife and I were driving (her) to the pet store on Saturday. Daughter and I took the truck back home which was a little more comfortable.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form recommending that someone drive before their time. My experiences are my own and only my own.

Blue, I did say to my daughter that had I had my surgery on my right side, I would probably not be driving so soon. My right leg has looked out after me very well since this ordeal has started, basically a year ago last November, but even a little before that: many hints of what was to come. So, I was not worried about controlling a vehicle driving right legged/footed. I really can’t comment on posterior vs anterior and driving. I know when I read stories here I realize this is a recovery, not a race. And any “race” is within ourselves. My PT and I discussed today one of the many common themes one finds here; the over doing it club—one of which I hope I am not a member of. :beg: I did not mention to my PT that I might be driving today; ok, so shoot me.

Yes, we are in the same vein of recovery, just different approaches of surgery. I too am getting off the opiates to a large extent; if I need ‘em, I’m gonna take ‘em, not shy about that, but I wanna be engaged in this process. I don’t want be some slobbering, drooling fool; I’ll reserve that for after a full, complete recovery. :rotfl:

Interesting about your cane. I was just mentioning that I may want to get another one. I bought one a long while ago when I had bouts of gout. Never really used it till now, and it was an off the shelf purchase from CVS. Thinking I may want to get something else.

My transition from walker to cane was basically overnight. Tried it a little on Saturday and then just changed over the next day, Sunday. I still plan to keep the walker close to bed for a while like I did last night.

Sounds like you’re doing great Blue!
 
Last edited:
Keep in mind that one of the main reasons for not driving is the heavy narcotics.
My PA informed me it's the first question they ask before releasing a patient to drive.

Sounds like you're progressing well, Wayfarer, already on the cane. That's great!
Be careful not to over do it. I did that initially with the cane and paid for it the next day.

I hope you have a nice week as you continue to heal. :)
@Wayfarer
 
Wayfarer, you’re recovering quite rapidly!! So glad your PT is helping you out with occupational therapy. Since the guy is coming to your house, he might as well give you tips for navigating your particular logistics.

That’s great that you’re already moving away from the oxy. Most likely, the pain will abate greatly within the next few days. For me, things got a lot more tolerable after about ten days.

Your dogs are absolutely beautiful!! They’re just waiting for you to recover so that they can get back to their walks!

Cheers!!
 
Thank you Otis. Spent a few hours in the office (I work for myself so flex-schedule) today and then shopping for some “essentials”—bread, peanut butter (not such a big eater of the same, just feel like it in this recovery), half n’ half, and spinach (for daughter). Elevated and icing now; my biggest fear is from Layla and mojo, “I told you so!” :scaredycat:

The temporary (red in color) handicap parking placard is a big help. Still some work getting around with the cane. Figure that is my PT, so taking it slow.

I wish it was just walking with the dogs; the Golden is ball obsessed and the Flat Coat is ALL obsessed—frisbee, sticks, floaty, pine cones especially. In a way that is easier to chuck things to them, but corralling them would be the challenge. They’re pretty good about coming when called, the Golden less so.
 
Last edited:
I won't ever say "told you so". I'll only try to caution you if you're doing something worrisome.
You have to find your groove and you will, just take it slow and easy for a while and learn from your mistakes.
You're wise, you'll figure it out. I'm sorry you're in the ODIC, hopefully it's just a drive-thru.
Rest, ice and elevate as you're doing and you'll be golden in no time.
Hope you sleep well tonight!
@Wayfarer
 
Oh yes, the handicap placard is a beautiful thing! Feel the power!! Well, I only get to feel the power until March 1, when I go back to plebeian parking...

Your dogs sound like a big, fun handful! Goldens are my absolute favorite. Big dogs are so soulful! My last dog was a 50-pound beagle/golden mix (looked like a large Snoopy), who had such a sweet temperament that we were able to train him as a hospital therapy dog. Our current dog (a 30-pound goofy mutt) is not tolerant enough to become a therapy dog (we watch him like a hawk around our baby). He is absolutely ball-obsessed, but he doesn’t usually get too excited about sticks or other items. He’s very happy that I had that surgery, though it’s been pouring here in Southern California all week, so no good walks lately.
Congrats on driving so soon! You’re right that a right hip op would have made it harder to drive so soon, but I felt okay driving after about 2 weeks. My problem was that my operative leg (the right) didn’t like that seated position—whether I was driving or on the passenger side. Sitting at a table with my feet down was equally problematic (after 10 or so minutes). Perhaps yours is less swollen than mine was.
You’re really doing well!!
 
Otis, ours is a “Field Golden,” which although not a separate breed, is a variation within the breed as a whole; she’s petite, 45 lbs., longer head, courser hair on her back. She’s a real sweetheart. The Flat Coat is all about working/birding; a lot of skills from that breed being wasted on us—we’re not using her as a gun dog.

Weirdest thing last night. The dogs got settled with me in bed, and as I kind of grimaced vocally to get my operated leg on the bed and under the covers, the Golden came over, put her paw firmly on my leg, and started dry humping. Even in a female dog, a clear sign of dominance (our Flat Coat will do that to the Golden, I will call her off if I see it). I was on an oxy and thought, that didn’t just happen!

So this morning the dogs go out, come back in, jump on the bed...I have a lazy morning, the Golden starts to do the same thing as I’m on the bed! Weird! I mean the dogs must know something is askew in the household with my surgery and recovery, but this dominance thing, very strange for the Golden; she is very skiddish, gentle, and demure.
 
Last edited:
Don't understand the handicap parking deal. The idea is to walk more and do less torture(PT). Parking lots are good surfaces to walk on. I would park at the furthest spot and walk the lot.
 
I mean the dogs must know something is askew in the household with my surgery and recovery, but this dominance thing, very strange for the Golden
Our pets definitely know we are recovering. Our members comment on this all the time. Sounds like your Golden is being very protective.

BTW - just noticed your avatar (Please don't write Frisco) :thumb:. Was born there and spent many years living in the SF Bay Area.
 
If it were summer, I might agree.

The building where I work is on the top of a hill in the high plains.

Lots of snow, ice, and winds up to 50+ mph.

The handicapped placard has been invaluable. Guess it depends on our individual situations and geography.
 
EM, I agree with your sentiments to an extent. However, when I wanna walk as part of my PT, I do just that. But coming from the office after three or more hours, moving around there, and then heading back home with a stop for groceries en route, the last thing that comes to mind is “PT and walking.” I did a fair amount in the store and more than I planned as I couldn’t find the peanut butter. Oh, over there? Duh, I already walked past it, TWICE!

Ok Jaycey, so it’s not a thing about, ok, I’ll take advantage of Wayfarer in his current state, where are the treats??? I mentioned this to my daughter and we’re not quite getting the “protective” part of the action.

Nice about your SF area roots. I was born in the area, grew up in Sacratomato, and got back here in ‘91. Feel very fortunate and lucky. Am reminded of this everytime I travel abroad or otherwise out of town and come home and am like, wow.
 
Last edited:
That’s hilarious that your dog started humping you—talk about adding insult to injury!! I guess she was sussing out the new pecking order. I’m not the type to anthropomorphize my dogs or exaggerate what they understand, but I do think they sense when we are not feeling right. As predators/pack animals, they absolutely know when someone is injured. I would say to hump her back, but that’s probably illegal. Don’t worry: soon you will be King lion again!!

And heck yeah...enjoy that parking permit!! When it’s raining, I’m holding a baby, and carrying heavy groceries, you can bet that I’m gonna use that freaking handicapped pass!! I also think that gratuitous schlepping scares us away from activity, so streamlining these things will enable us to do more ultimately—and on our own terms.
 
Otis, I’m just gonna have to sit back with the dogs and not worry about it. As long as I wake up each morning with my underwear on, then I know the dogs aren’t up to mischief. :dogsniff:

Yeah, I’m gonna keep the placard usage. It was weird shopping with a canvas bag which I alway use. I felt like I didn’t need a cart because that’s not my kind of PT, but better yet walking in a grocery store with your own bag. So I’m loading up the bag, moving around with my cane, then kinda getting them in a tangle. I’m almost laughing, I must look in my 80’s, really struggling.

So, update; not too much to report...rather talk about dogs.

Last couple days have been the same. Tylenol early morning, wait, get out of bed (all the while getting dogs in and out, taking a pee myself—I haven’t had to do it outside or in the Dog House, yet!) Tylenol and my one dose Maloxican midday. Oxy at night with a vape draw.

Drove to the office with dogs by noon and spent about five hours today, maybe three hours yesterday; son picked up another car here and got the dogs back to the house. Got home, icing, news, dogs fed, dogs out, dogs in, TREAT!

Meet with Peter the PT tomorrow. Tonight got off the cane a bit, testing the water. Will I’m sure discuss driving (uh, after the fact) with PT tomorrow. The weather has been p*ss poor; meaning pissing down rain. A Californian (at least NorCal) will/should not complain about rain. Sure, one could always argue, how much MORE rain do we need after the Oroville Dam debacle; point taken.

So, not too much activity outside walking; need to change that with or without weather permitting.
 
I won't ever say "told you so".
I might would
:skep:
yay for healthy fear of retribution:heehee: but not from me...from your own body!

You sound like you are doing splendidly at only ten days out!:ok:
Lots of healing happening and trauma still settling...so do take things slow as it will make things go faster, really!
There is no one size fits all to recovery, so listening to your body is essential for preventing chronic problems.
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:
 
Well, I guess it’s a good time to be on the injured reserve if the weather is poor—at least you’re not missing anything. When I was convalescing, the So Cal fires were raging, so absolutely no one could go outside. Good timing, in a sense. You could stay inside this weekend and watch the Australian Open and the Rams!!

Your dogs sound like so much fun. I love those petite fieldies. We don’t see so many of them in America, but there are a lot of lower-to-the-ground labs and retrievers in Western Europe—often with a longer, heartier coat for the winter. Such beautiful and sweet dogs. I will never forget sitting on the couch with my uncle’s chocolate lab, realizing quite suddenly that she was an amazing companion. That’s it! Hooked on dogs forever!! I was never around dogs as a kid, and the only dog I knew was my sister’s crazy little pug (named Nixon!!). That nutty little ankle biter was less my speed, but I absolutely fell in love with that chocolate lab. We would have labs or retrievers, but my adult stepson is allergic. So we got a non-shedding dog, and I have to say that I don’t miss the vacuuming! If I were to get another dog, I would definitely go with a labradoodle or goldendoodle. They have amazing temperaments (from the retrievers) and don’t usually shed (thanks to the poodles). Best of both worlds, but they do look a bit wacky!!

Have a great day!
 
Last edited:
Well, at two weeks post op now. Been driving and going to the office after the first week. Kinda feel like I am at a slight plateau. I weened myself off the walker the first week and thought I could do the same with the cane this past weekend, but still have the cane near me. Sometimes in the house I may be walking around on my own and forget where I put my cane!

When I say plateau, I'm pretty much doing the same each day. Acetaminophen first thing in the morning, wait a bit, get out of bed a little sore (have that cane as a "crutch"), shave, shower, small bite, tea/coffee. Get into the office for a few hours, then more Acetaminophen along with Maloxican midday for "lunch." An Oxy and vape at night. Pretty much a repeat of the above earlier post; along with the "baby" aspirin and stool softener twice a day. Mostly icing in the evening and just before bed.

I need to get in a routine of regular, scheduled walking. So nice weather today (been raining the past few days), grabbed the two dogs and about a 15-minute walk up to the dead-end at the top of the hill and back without use of the cane. Felt pretty good, a little stiff afterwards. In the office I tend to be kinda stiff after sitting a spell; this is walked off once I get up; hence, still need that cane the first few steps. I'm going to try to do that 15-minute walk a couple/few times a day and try to build up where I do longer walks maybe later this week or next.

Saturday, drove and ventured over to the East Bay to go to Harbor Freight Tools; the closest one to us. Took it slow in and around the parking lot and inside the store. I little "weird" moving around. Coming back across the San Mateo Bridge, stopped in at Home Depot (lightbulbs) and then over to Costco; having a cart in front me was great, cane was in the cart. A little sore after all that, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

Still have a strong sense of a feeling that my thigh and part of the leg have been hit by a 2 X 4. But, nagging hip hurt/pain is gone, I have to still remind myself when I don't think I am progressing as quickly as I like. All the while though, definitely not trying to over do it! There's that fine line of not doing enough and over doing it. I just need a routine; I am not good at routines, so that is challenging and probably one of the shortcomings of being self-employed. I mean finding the office each day is no problem, just the routine of a regular "workout" i.e. walking for me is the thing I want to set. I don't seem to have a problem of icing in the evening/night which I make a concerted effort to do; hope that is helping!

Yes Otis, Rams and Australian Open. Saw the Rams beat the Saints yesterday. Can't but help to want the Rams to go far--although Tom Brady is local to this area. Well, so is the Rams QB, Goff. If I said or wrote that about the Dodgers, I would be kicked out of the Northern part of the State. The Open is a little tough to watch with the time difference. Will attempt to record the quarters, semis, and finals if I can't fit it in live at some ungodly hour. Wife and daughter head to Paris (wife's work) for ten days and they will have to train me on how to record programming on the telie.

Hope all have a great week!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom