TKR Good grief, it's Gort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've been very lazy, I've been reading up on posts, but not putting anything in. :sorry:
Spent most of the weekend overdoing it! Baking, going out to a party, going out for Sunday lunch, walking round the lake, all in all I've managed to overdo pretty much the whole weekend!!! :groan:
Cutting down on pain meds was also a big FAIL! :yikes:
Planning a nice easy week, maybe a mog round Costco on Tuesday (payday) & on friday planning a nice lunch at our local exotic plant nursery, complete with life sized metal statues of African animals (rhinos, giraffes, elephants etc...) & the odd wandering peacock & peahen. All in all a blissful place to have a cuppa & a chat with good friends.
May have a swim, enjoy a long soak in a hot hot BATH!!!! :yes!:
Cracking on with hobo bag, blanket & figuring out my next project. I may make a leather beaded phone cover as I haven't picked up my true hobby in ages, due to positioning & the fact that the beads are minute & the needles are 1inch long & hair thin. I can curl up now on the settee (which was my pre op default position) so am confident that I can handle very small very sharp objects without turning into a human pin cushion!! :shocked:
Hope all my bonesmartie friends had an excellent weekend! I will pop in on your posts or a visit soon :puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello, glad you are ok even if a bit overdone. Cutting back the pain meds is tricky, I had several false starts before I successfully managed to cut each dose but you will get there when your knee is ready.
Sounds like you are doing brilliantly and reclaiming your life.
Leather beaded phone cover sounds interesting, I will look forward to a photo of that. I wouldn't know where to start.
Have fun and be very careful with all those sharp needles,
Sounds like you have a really good week planned, enjoy and try to spend some time relaxing,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Hi Alison,wow yo are doing do much at 6 weeks, it's amazing :happydance: I couldNt even manage dinner out, had to leave early. Keep up your meds too as TF says, cut back slowly, it's such early days.

The craft stuff sounds v good. The care an relax! How long til you go back to work? Sounds like you won't hav time for work with all your gadding about :rotfl:. Fernie
 
Alison you sound like your doing really well and taking big leaps on the weekend! You must be starting to feel like is getting back to normal a bit little baby steps at a time! :happydance:
 
Hi guys, Fernie I think I'm A devotee of Zodiac, have a lifetime membership!!! :rotfl: :heehee:
Toothfairy hope you have a lovely time with your daughter, I'm sure she will relish the opportunity to pamper you! :kittykiss:
landoz I am definitely feeling more 'normal' at six weeks, happy with my rom & I find I now have a 2 hour limit on excursions, anything more & Gort gets all clunky & stiff :groan:
I am slowly cutting back on pain meds, but I'm no martyr!!! :yikes: Will up the dosage as soon as I feel more than a twinge! :shocked:
Off to Costco now with hubby, I tend to consider mogging round shops a part of my rehabilitation, so craft shops, markets & such are now a very enjoyable part of my recovery :whistle: :heehee:
I have been sidetracked a little by ruffle yarn, which crochets up into a beautiful scarf, so I'm currently running up a few for friends. I skein = 1 scarf, so they're very good value too. Bit fiddly but fun & relaxing.
Has anyone found that their diet has changed? I've found that I've gone off meat for some reason, might be the tramadol? I still like the smell & the idea, but just baulk at eating it! I still like chicken......? :shrug: :what:
Got my six week check at the hospital tomorrow, so fingers crossed!!! :bow:
Have a cracking week! :puppysmooze:
 
Jethugger, hope all goes well tomorrow for your six week check. You seem to be doing really well so dont think you need to worry. My OS didnt do much really. Looked at his very neat scar. Didnt do my ROM cleared me for driving and having baths and that was it. I remember going to Asda after the appt with hubby and getting some christmas shopping and so regretted it when i got home. Like you my knee had limits and I definitely overdid it that day. It was so nice this weekend going out with my daughter all day and not have to keep sitting down and getting awful pains in my knee. I shopped all day without the slightest little niggle and its then you realise this op is much worth it. I was getting a little fed up of being dumped on a bench with all the bags whilst they continued shopping! Let us know how you get on. Good Luck.
 
Six weeks is a milestone. I am so glad things seem to be going well. Two hours should be my limit, but I am never wise enough to end it there. Maybe if I got our more often I wouldn't feel the need to do everything and go everywhere in one outing. Now that you mention it, I have not eaten meat either. I did have a hamburger this weekend because we fired up the grill for the first time, but I think that might be the first time. Actually, for the first month, I had hardly any appetite for anything.

Have a good check up.
 
Hi Jethugger,
Good luck with your six week check today. You are doing brilliantly and I am sure you will get a glowing report. Doesn't the time go really quickly!
Sounds like you are building stamina nicely with your trips to Costco etc!
I am planning a slow day today after my trip away. Have a great day,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance:
 
good luck with your OS - as others have said, you'll breeze it and still have energy for Costco - or was that yesterday? you really are doing remarkably for 6 weeks.

robynhood - thanks for reminding me that i need a full 6 months, still having very weary days and just longing for when i'll wake up and bounce out of bed and not feel the ache and tightness and twinging. I'm so pleased to hear you happy and chirpy ! :)

Fernie x
 
Hi folks! OS visit very successful! I have 135 ROM! :happydance: :dancy: :spin: surgeon reckons my rom is better now than with the old hag, so I'm chuffed to bits! Clunking in the knee joint is normal, but I wasn't worried by that & OS said there's a strong possibility that I wouldn't get the feeling back on the right side of my knee, where there's a numb patch, but again, not worried, the painif bone on bone is gone & the surgery pain gets better & less as the weeks progress! :yes!:
Return date 24/5 and I will be staging it at 5 hours a day to start off, then up it after a couple of weeks to full time - I did ask my boss if I could be permanently part time, but got the "over my dead body" response :shocked:
I've been baking cakes, crocheting & walking the lake mainly. I totally overdid it this week, trips out with friends to lunch & tea, a shopping trip, walks & I walked the dogs round the block all on my own!!!!! :snork: :thumb:
I'm even looking at medium heeled court shoes!!!! :whistle: :umm:
Still feel fatigued when I've done any kind of exertion & have a frequent kip after being out.
Just whipped up a banana loaf, so having a thick slice with a fresh pot of tea. You're all welcome to join me!!! :puppysmooze: :rotfl: :snork: :heehee: :beer: :friends:
 
Is it me or are things v quiet on here? That's amazing rom Alison, v well done! Make the most of your 3 weeks off before real life kicks in again, mind you, it doesn't sound like you are doing too bad at all.

have a lovely weekend, Fernie x
 
Amazing!! Congrats to you. I am still hovering around 120--haven't officially gotten it yet--and I am thrilled with that. I can't even imagine what 135 must be like!! Enjoy your last few days of being on "vacation." Your banana loaf smells divine.
 
Holy cow I can't believe how much you are doing at this point. I am 6 months out and still not doing Costco. I went in once to just pick up a couple things but need to go get the big stuff and stock up for my next TKR in June. OH! You are only 47 I see...a baby in my eyes! Well good for you, you are doing so well and thanks for sharing with us!!!
 
When I worked in a store, I wanted part time but they also said no. I finally compremised so that I came at 11--the store was rarely busy until then. Those two hours off, helped the knee a lot.
 
Hi Fernie yes, it is quite quiet, but it's also the run up to a bank holiday plus the weather has suddenly improved! :happydance: :SUNsmile: Reckon it's hard not to be outside soaking up the vitamin D after such a long bleak winter!! Monitoring Toothfairy to see if any news on new grandchild........
Thanks for the encouragement Ready 120 is great rom! Especially so early on! :dancy: All of us are different & I sleep all bunched up so sort of got my rom by default really, no effort put in ( I do seem to get better rom in the bath, may be because it's relaxing?) :shrug:
Brownie51 best of luck for your next TKR in June. Fortunately, I only had the one banjaxed knee, soi didnt have recovery & the other knee having pain with on bone to deal with. I will visit your thread if that's ok? It may be that once you've had no 2 done, you will be in far less pain & whizzing around in no time! :thumb:
skigirl that sounds like an excellent compromise! Don't get me wrong, my boss is the best! She's also very sarcastic has a wicked sense of humour & she is also trying for part time, with no luck either! I work very well within a very small team (theres 4 of us) & I really do enjoy my work. It's just that I used to get up at 6am, walk the dogs, do all the pre work stuff, arrive at 8am - work till 5pm, then home, walk woofers again & then cook tea. I was lucky if I got to relax before 7.30pm! I did that Monday to Friday pre op, so hope that I can cope once I crank up to full time again sometime early to mid June! :yikes:
Banana bread was divine! Will post recipe if anyone interested?
Hugs to all :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Wow jethugger you days before op made me tired just reading it. You were very active but maybe thats why youve recovered so well too. Just before my op I put off going out it was so painful to walk as both knees were in a terrible condition. I am so happy tonbe getting about so much better now but the other TKR is always hanging over my head. I do wish i dint need it. Have a lovely weekend/bank holiday.weather forecast is good. Take Care
 
LOVE Gort the Great and Shiny. Wish I had been so clever when mine was done. I'm quite fond of my no-name-knee. Glad you made it out the other side and are looking forward to a good recovery. HOpe it goes well for you.
 
I am a super active person also---but it might be a bit much after you go back to work. Why not pay some of the school children in your neighborhood to walk the dogs after work, while you relax. I think I paid these two little cuties about $5 a day. When I get the secondary school boy, who does a really good job, I pay him $10---he takes them out for almost an hour.

we have a Corgi and Golden Retreiver mix---just got a Corgi from our vet--he asked us to foster Charlie , but we are falling in love.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom