Revision THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

@golfer67 hoping that the injection helped with the pain and gave you and the new surgeon a way to proceed. Fingers crossed this is the ticket :fingersx: !
 
Hi Frogger

I had to reschedule the x-ray guided injection due to a snow storm that hit this area on the 6th so I have not had the injection yet, it has been rescheduled for this coming Tuesday the 11th I will post the results after the injection.



Golfer67
 
Hello golfer,
It’s so good to read you’re finally getting the attention you deserve and have confidence in your new surgeon and team. Best Wishes for Tuesday, will look forward to your update.
@golfer67
 
Today I had my lidocaine and cortisone injection into my iliopsoas tendon or muscle and WOW it got real very quickly.

The radiologist found a collection of fluid in the spot that my orthopedic doctor wanted him to inject the numbing medicine and he removed about 200 milliliters of fluid from that spot and told me that there was a lot more fluid that he couldn’t get. He then called my orthopedic doctor and they decided to go on with the injection and have me keep a log of my pain levels for the next week or so.

The lidocaine stopped all the pain for about two hours and then the pain came back. It will take a few days for the cortisone to work if it is going to work. They are sending the fluid to be tested for infection and for metal irons like they did the fluid from my hip. The radiologist did not think the fluid looked like an infection but they won’t know for sure until it is tested.

I am absolutely ecstatic that they found this collection of fluid because it proves that something is very wrong and it can’t be fixed until it is discovered and today went a long way toward discovering the problem. I know it seems crazy to be happy that they are finding unusual problems but I just want a diagnosis and a cure and it looks like they are getting closer to a diagnosis.

I don’t know why the MRI’s and the ultra sound and all the other test I have had did not show a collection of fluid when it is obviously there. Maybe the MRI’s simply can’t see fluid due to the metal prosthesis but I definitely had and still have a lot of fluid in places that it is not supposed be along with swelling that can easily be seen.

Stay tuned to this thread I am going to get this fixed soon.



Golfer67
 
:yes!: So good to read that they are now investigating and hopefully soon will find a solution for you. Hoping that the cortisone injection will offer you some comfort in the meantime x
 
Just catching up with your thread. Wow! You really have been through the mill. I am so sorry you have had to struggle so. I can’t address the collection of fluid but the injection of the tendon I can. Hopefully in a couple of days you will start to feel some relief if it truly is tendonitis from the iliopsoas catching on the acetabular rim. I also was having ongoing pain. It took me being very frank about the pain and it’s impact on the quality of my life before my OS diagnosed tendonitis from a slightly protruding prosthesis. Then we got busy doing something about it. As you found out, it takes time and perseverance. Unfortunately, you also deal with frustration and the pain in the meantime.

My OS is a revision specialist and offered that as an option after my injection only lasted 2 weeks. The other option was a tenotomy and he referred me to an arthroscopic specialist in his department. This OS performed partial releases of the IP tendon but for a few reasons, I chose not to hire him on. So I thought I was headed for a revision but my original OS knew I was not thrilled with having another big surgery. He then referred me to another arthroscopic specialist outside his practice who performed a complete release for me. After less than a half hour surgery, I finally got the relief and recovery that had been eluding me since my THR.

So see how the injection goes and keep us posted. If it works, then you know what the problem is. If it doesn’t last, then know you have some options to get your issue resolved. We’re here for you. Healing blessings going forward.
 
My doctor called me this morning after reviewing the information he received from the radiologist. He informed me that the amount of fluid found near my acetabular cup was an unusually large amount of fluid to be found in this area and when I informed him that the lidocaine stopped all the pain for a few hours he told me that he is now certain that my pain and swelling is because of a poorly placed acetabular cup. He said that the back part of the cup is partially exposed and the tendon is raking across it and fraying due to the rough texture on the cup which is designed ruff for bone to grow into it. My doctor told me that my best option is a revision surgery I asked him about a partial or a complete Iliopsoas release but my doctor thinks I might lose too much strength with a complete release and that a partial release may not work. So unless the cortisone injection somehow miraculously stops all the pain and it never comes back and I know that won’t happen because cortisone never works well for me I am going to have a revision surgery. I only let my new doctor order the cortisone shot because he thought he needed to in order to prove his diagnosis. My old doctor gave me so much cortisone and prednisone that I ended up in the ER a while back. It has taken me a long time to get to this point. All the time money and effort spent trying to make a botched hip replacement work with all the doctors that I went to telling me that everything looked good and that I should not have any problems or pain when I knew from the start that something was not right. I am going to pick up the pieces and hope that the revision surgery goes the way most everyone else’s hip replacements go with no complications. I cannot thank the people here on this forum for all the good advice you have given me and I look forward to posting much more as I go through the revision surgery.

Golfer67
 
Sounds odd to say that needing a revision is a good thing, but it's good this OS found something and feels sure about it. I hope it does work out and you have a successful revision and a simple recovery.
 
Golfer67, i am not a medic nor any kind of expert. But prior to my surgery, i read huge amount of research trying to make semse of my options.

i came across published articles that clearly said placement of cup was a high risk, higher than 50% of misplacement. The graphic looked like the standard bell weather curve. So a good proportion was vaguely ok and liveable.

having understood that placement was a huge problem and having dysplasia on my left hip meaning for me it would be higher than average risk for revision, given my guidelines were already a problem, I decided to pay the extra and go for mako robotic surgery. mako robotics gives a 99.9% certainty of cup placement as long as surgeon follows guidelines. Because robotics can only offer guidelines. Your surgeon must still perform the surgery as normal.

the CT scan was used to generate computer diagrams and guided my surgeon exactly where to go and how to place for optimum result.

My surgery was quick. My recovery has been textbook. No complications. No odd pains. I am delighted so far.

the rest is now up to me.
 
Last edited:
Golfer67, i am not a medic nor any kind of expert. But prior to my surgery, i read huge amount of research trying to make semse of my options.

i came across published articles that clearly said placement of cup was a high risk, higher than 50% of misplacement. The graphic looked like the standard bell weather curve. So a good proportion was vaguely ok and liveable.

having understood that placement was a huge problem and having dysplasia on my left hip meaning for me it would be higher than average risk for revision, given my guidelines were already a problem, I decided to pay the extra and go for mako robotic surgery. mako robotics gives a 99.9% certainty of cup placement as long as surgeon follows guidelines. Because robotics can only offer guidelines. Your surgeon must still perform the surgery as normal.

the CT scan was used to generate computer diagrams and guided my surgeon exactly where to go and how to place for optimum result.

My surgery was quick. My recovery has been textbook. No complications. No odd pains. I am delighted so far.

the rest is now up to me.

Thanks for that information I don’t know if the joint institution uses the mako robotic surgery or if that can even be done on a revision. I will have a lot of questions to ask and whether a robot will be used is one of them.



Golfer67
 
Golfer67..
It‘s truly a relief that you have found an answer for the pain, disappointment and the difficult journey you have been on both physically and mentally. I have followed your posts and had been curious as to what the complications could be. Sometimes to many hip surgeons have not actually done enough surgeries to meet the standards for hip replacement in my experience and opinion.It’s a long and hard battle just looking for answers.
A revision will hopefully put you in a better place for mobility in the future.
I have said this for many years…there needs to be a protocol put in place for those of us who have been harmed from THR surgery. And not just given the same answers based from PT, x-rays & all kinds of tests that show ‘Nothing is wrong“….it’s not good enough. Sometimes we need to be our own health advocates and push for answers.
It takes time to recover and time lost that cannot be recovered.
Please keep me posted.
 
@golfer67 Sorry you are facing a revision. But well done for being persistent! Sounds like you have a very positive way forward and a knowledgeable surgeon.

Please keep us updated.
 
Golfer, I’m sorry you have to endure an additional surgery and recovery, but your new surgeon seems determined to fix the issue, resolve your pain, lead you to perfect healing and back to living a full life. You’ve labored with this long enough and can now look toward the brighter future you deserve. Please know we‘ll be with you and cheering you on the entire way. That you can count on! Thanks for sharing your story here. :)
@golfer67
 
Under your circumstances, that sounds like your best option. I did research this quite a bit before my release and my understanding was that the choice of procedure was very dependent on the individual’s circumstances, especially cup orientation. In your case, your revision surgeon, knowing much more about this and you, has decided this is the best course. I would be confident in that.

I am so happy you finally have an answer and a direction towards healing. Usually, no one wants more surgery. I can completely relate to the fact that you’re probably more than ready to do this to be rid of the pain and have this in the rear view mirror. Blessings going forward and we’ll be here with you every step of the way.
 
Okay my cardiologist has cleared me for surgery and my left hip revision surgery is set for 02/11/2022. That is three weeks from now and it can’t get here soon enough. I am to have the acetabular cup removed and replaced in the correct alignment and a new all ceramic hip joint installed to eliminate the possibility of allergic reaction in the future. I don’t know all the details yet but I am meeting with my surgeon on 02/02/2022 to discuss the revision surgery in detail.



Golfer67
 
@golfer67 that is awesome news! I know none of us look forward to more surgeries but if this is going to get you back to normal and living your life I'm truly happy for you. We'll be here anxiously awaiting your surgery and recovery. :friends:
 
Great news on receiving clearance from your cardiologist for your surgery. I hope time flies over the next three weeks and you have an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery with perfect healing this time. We’re in your corner rooting for you all the way. Please keep us posted.
@golfer67
 
Okay then! Well, now you have a game plan and you don't have that long to wait.

Wishing the very best for you, my BoneSmart friend.. thankful you found a good revisionist to help you.

You have many, many of us pulling for you!!
 
How are the surgeons implanting an incorrect acetabular cup to begin with? They have an assortment of sizes at surgery time. Seems this should not really happen as it’s a core part of hip replacement.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom