Lounge Doctor

THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

Eman85

supremo
Country
United States United States
I would look into the Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic if possible. Those that I know that have gone there have gotten satisfaction. I always told my wife we'll play the game locally with health care but if we don't get results that's where we are heading.

OP
OP
golfer67

golfer67

Country
I am looking for someplace to go where they can diagnose my failed hip replacement and found this place reasonably close to me. https://sjri.com/ the name is The Southern Joint Replacement Institute in Nashville Tennessee and they seem to fit the prescription as to what I need. I am hoping someone else here can give a recommendation of good or bad.

golfer67

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@golfer67 The Southern Joint Replacement Institute is on our recommended surgeons list. One of our members highly recommended them. Here is the listing:
Dr. Jefferson C. Morrison
Dr Michael Christie
Primary and revision hip and knee
Southern Joint Replacement Institute
2400 Patterson, Suite 100
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: 615-342-0038
Dr Christie is wonderful. He is in Nashville at Southern Joint replacement part of Cenrenniel Hospital system. (recommended by a member).

OP
OP
golfer67

golfer67

Country
I am still struggling with pain and swelling from my hip replacement on 08/19/2020. I have an appointment with The Southern Joint Replacement Institute (SJRI) in Nashville Tennessee on 12/06/2021. My intention is to simply start over again with a new Doctor and hopefully the new Doctor will be able to find and fix my problem. This ordeal has been as much mentally draining as it has been physically exhausting, it is one thing to have complications from a hip replacement but for my original surgeon to tell me that he does not know what is wrong and simply leave me in pain with bad swelling is just unacceptable and that is why I am starting over again with a new Doctor. SJRI already has all my medical records and after reviewing the records they accepted me as a patient so my hope is that they saw something in the records that lead them to believe that they can help me.

Golfer67

Eman85

supremo
Country
Good deal, fresh start with a clean slate and new Dr. sounds like a good plan.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I am wishing for the very best resolution for you. I think this is a wise choice and will be anxious to hear what you find out.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I’m sorry you continue to struggle. I’m sure it is mentally draining when you’re dealing with pain and no idea how to it will be resolved. Thankfully you found another surgeon and fresh set of eyes to look over your case. Hopefully this brings the relief and the resolution you’re dreaming of. Please keep us posted, we want to follow you to pain free. :)
@golfer67

OP
OP
golfer67

golfer67

Country
I had my first appointment with The Southern Joint Replacement Institute (SJRI) and Doctor Matthew Christie yesterday. It went well; although they told me that all my X-rays looked okay they assured me that the swelling and pain was not normal and that they would find the reason that I am having this problem. Doctor Christie told me all the possible reasons for my problem and that we would start by doing a hip aspiration and a blood test to check for both infection and mental ions. If no infection is found then we will have a bone scan and CT scan. Doctor Christie said that he can see if the bone has grown in around the implants better with a bone scan and CT scan. I am much happier to finally have a medical staff working on my problem that realizes I do have a problem and assures me that they will find the problem. One other observation is that after the needle was placed into my joint to draw the fluid out it reproduced all my pains that I have from time to time. I wonder if that is an indication or proof that the pain and swelling is coming from the joint?

Golfer67

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Glad you found a medical team that will help find and fix your issues @golfer67, keep us appraised of your progress.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
While I’m unable to answer your question, I‘m happy to read that you found a new team and have confidence that they will find the origin of your ongoing pain…which I hope swiftly works toward resolving it. It’s a start, and a great one at that. I wish you only the best and hope you’ll stay in touch, sharing your progress with us. We’d love to see you pain free and finally on your way.
@golfer67

OP
OP
golfer67

golfer67

Country
My test for infection came back negative so I don’t have any infection, however when my new Doctor called me back to go over the results of the infection test he told me he was looking at all my images as we were speaking and that he thinks the only other test we need is another MRI to confirm what he thinks is wrong. He said that I may have a tendon wrapped around the hardware and that if the MRI confirms that we will need to decide what to do about it. I am scheduled for the MRI and consultation with my Doctor on December 27th which is this coming Monday and it can’t get here fast enough.

Golfer67

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Sounds like they are finally on to something that is causing your pain. Well done for being persistent! That MRI should produce a clear image of the problem.

Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello golfer,
Hopefully…finally, your new surgeon will be able to help you get back to pain free. :fingersx: :prayer:
Let us know what you hear on the 27th. Until then, I wish you comfort and a very Merry Christmas.
@golfer67

Eman85

supremo
Country
That's great that a new set of eyes might have found something.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It sounds like this new doc is on to something and will hopefully have you on the mend and pain free as soon as possible! :banana-santa:

OP
OP
golfer67

golfer67

Country
I had my MRI and Doctors appointment on Monday 12/27/2021. My new Doctor looked at the MRI and said that nothing looks alarming but noted that the rim of the acetabular cup is protruding out more than it should be and that is probably causing all the inflammation of the tendons and the groin pain. He then tested my strength in various positions to confirm his assumptions and I was weak and painful in the positions that he thought I would be. He has ordered an x-ray guided injection of pain medicine and on 01/06/2021 to confirm that the pain and swelling is coming from the soft tissue surrounding the acetabular rim and if it is he wants to replace the cup with one that fits so that would mean a revision surgery of the acetabular cup. I asked about doing a tendonotomy with a scope but he thinks to fix the problem properly a revision will be required. So after next Thursday I should finally have an answer to my 17 months of pain and swelling.

Golfer67

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@golfer67 So glad to hear you are finally getting your issues addressed properly. Yes, it isn't fun facing more surgery. But if the procedure resolves your constant pain it's really the way forward.

Do let us know how the injection goes.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I’ll bet you’re feeling some hope in hearing your surgeon suspects he knows what the problem is, but I’m sure you’re not too excited at the prospect of revision surgery. If it comes to that, you know we’ll be here to support and encourage you along the way to pain free…finally! :happydance:
If necessary, you can do this, g67!
@golfer67

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good for you for perseverance and so happy to read that you have found a surgeon who is listening and making educated decisions for your full recovery.

I'm sorry that it may require more surgery but I think you've been preparing yourself for that recommendation anyway. Pain and swelling,, chronic pain and swelling isn't fun and it's time for you to see and feel improvement.

We are pulling for you and appreciate your updates..!

So after next Thursday I should finally have an answer to my 17 months of pain and swelling.
The above sentence from you says it all... @golfer67

frogger

Country
France France
I had my MRI and Doctors appointment on Monday 12/27/2021. My new Doctor looked at the MRI and said that nothing looks alarming but noted that the rim of the acetabular cup is protruding out more than it should be and that is probably causing all the inflammation of the tendons and the groin pain. He then tested my strength in various positions to confirm his assumptions and I was weak and painful in the positions that he thought I would be. He has ordered an x-ray guided injection of pain medicine and on 01/06/2021 to confirm that the pain and swelling is coming from the soft tissue surrounding the acetabular rim and if it is he wants to replace the cup with one that fits so that would mean a revision surgery of the acetabular cup. I asked about doing a tendonotomy with a scope but he thinks to fix the problem properly a revision will be required. So after next Thursday I should finally have an answer to my 17 months of pain and swelling.
Hey @golfer67, I'm sorry to hear your problems have continued but also hopeful you're on the right track. Were you able to do the x-ray on the 6th as planned? Any results yet?

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
lit1066
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom