Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

Should be all good and you'll be ready for spring. Feb. is a good time to do it, it worked great for me and timing was perfect when spring arrived. See if you can get the old cup for a souvenir.
 
@Hip4life
I see that you had the same problem that I have with an overhanging acetabular cup and it was repaired with a Tenotomy procedure. I see my doctor on February 2nd this week and he thinks that I need my acetabular replaced instead of the Tenotomy. What was the deciding factor for having the Tenotomy instead of the revision surgery? I can still insist on the Tenotomy but they found a large amount of fluid around my hip and iliopsoas when they did the ultra sound injection so I am thinking that I need them to go in and find whatever is causing all the fluid buildup. Thank you for any help and advice you can offer me.
 
Last edited:
That is a very valid question. The revision was major surgery with its requisite recovery. The partial was taken off the table at the time. That additional option might have complicated the decision for me. Lol. The complete tenotomy’s advantages were very little time off work, no PT, no restrictions, and less invasive, which reduces the risks. My literature research had suggested that one procedure had no real advantage over another and success was dependent on physical circumstances with the hip. Having no complications and no more FMLA and little sick leave left after my THR, the complete tenotomy appeared to be my best option. It accomplished the goal: pain relief. I knew there would still be a strengthening period to get back to all my physical activities but that was true in any case.

All that said, you have some other issues that your surgeon must take into account. He bases his decisions on his experience and expertise. If you have confidence in him, then trust what he recommends. The decision was totally mine whether I had a release or a revision. My OS made that perfectly clear. However, if my OS had said, “I recommend a revision rather than a tendon release because of a,b, and c” I would have had the revision.

Best wishes for a great appointment this week. Make sure you write down any questions you have and make sure you get answers. This might include all the specifics of why he wants to do a revision, what he expects he might find, and what he will do to correct it. Ask him the outcome he expects. None of this should be a problem. Keep us posted. Blessings.
@golfer67
 
@Hip4life
Thanks for the reply. My Doctor has already indicated that I should have the revision instead of the complete release so at this point it is 99% certain that my surgery will be a revision. I actually prefer that I get a revision because the hip implant that I have now contains cobalt steel and a polyethylene that has a vitamin E compound within it and I don’t trust wear debris from either of those substances to not cause trouble for me in the future. The plan is to use an all ceramic hip implant for the revision. Also even though an iliopsoas complete release might stop the tendon from rubbing on the edge of the acetabular cup the abrasive area would still exist and might cause more irritation in the future. All my questions should be answered this Wednesday and all plans should be made final. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and support.



Golfer67
 
Hello everyone

I had my consultation with my doctor on 2/2 and my revision surgery is now set for 02/11 which is next Friday. I had all my blood work done and it all looked good and even had a CT scan done so that my doctor could tell if I will need a bone graph done around the edge of my acetabular socket. Once my doctor explained just what is wrong with my original acetabular cup placement and just how much damage the cup is doing to my soft tissue and how bad the alignment is I am completely at peace with having the revision. My surgery is going to be early in the morning so it will be over long before noon. One thing that has changed a bit is that the new hip will be a dual-mobility prosthesis that has a ceramic liner then a polyethylene large ball with a ceramic smaller ball on the stem. I wanted an all ceramic prosthesis but I would have to go with a standard hip instead of the dual-mobility and my doctor tells me that because I have a fused lower back and a fused SI joint that I really need the dual-mobility joint to avoid the possibility of having a hip dislocation. My doctor assured me that the type of polyethylene that is in the hip joint that he uses will wear very well without very much or any debris forming. The new hip won’t have any metal in it at all except the cup which is made from titanium and I am not allergic to titanium. My doctor told me that there is no way I can wear out this new hip in my lifetime and I am 68 now so he is probably right. This is going to be a very big surgery and it will take me some time to recover from it. Thanks to everyone here for all the support that you have given me so far and will give me in the future.



Golfer67
 
Oh, this definitely sounds like the solution you’ve been waiting for. I am so happy for you. No one wants more major surgery but it is needed when it brings healing and pain relief. Your surgeon’s explanation has brought much needed peace of mind so you can confidently head into surgery. We’ll be here cheering you on and to support you afterward. Thanks so much for the update. ❤️ Pat.
 
Hi @golfer67
Your surgeon sounds very capable, thorough and thoughtful.
Knowing this revision will be your ticket out of pain and back to healthy and happy has got to make having to deal with another recovery less daunting.
We will be rooting for you.:friends:
 
Golfer, I’m so happy you found this surgeon and that you’re confident in his assurance that he can resolve your ongoing pain…at its root. It’s been a long haul for you and I’m feeling very optimistic that you’re finally on your way to a happy ending. Can’t wait! I’m excited for you.
Only one week to go…I’m glad that you’ll continue to share your journey with us and I look forward to following your thread and offering support as you heal. Wishing you comfort as you await the 11th. Take good care!
@golfer67
 
@golfer67 so happy for you, sounds like this surgeon has a great grasp of what you need. You'll definitely have to keep me posted once you get that dual mobility. I had asked my OS about getting one as I have fusion at L5/S1 and had read it was good for such instances. He said he would look into it but don't think he ever did. Will be curious in case Lefty goes rogue on me!
 
Ahhh well, there you go then. Revision and then happy healing! From what I can tell from your thread, I think you will be a good patient and will make great progress and be so very happy with the results. Good for you and your persistence. We are rooting for you!!
 
@golfer67 ..... all the best with your revision surgery my friend, hope and pray that all goes well and that you will be up and about very soon
 
Stopping by to wish you a successful surgery and a good, pain controlled recovery. Blessings for comfort and we’ll be looking for your update when you’re up to it. :prayer:
 
Wishing you the best for tomorrow, hoping this does the trick for you. :fingersx: We'll be standing by waiting for your update when you're up to it.
 
Best Wishes, golfer.
Tomorrow will be the beginning of your long awaited happy ending. I look forward to following your journey to brighter days….finally! :SUNsmile:
@golfer67
 
I am back from my revision surgery. Everything went well but the surgery took over three hours. My doctor found the acetabular cup was definitely out of place and rubbing the psoas tendons. He removed the old cup and installed a completely new dual mobility hip prosthesis he was able to reuse the stem as it was not loose. My doctor said that he repaired any damaged tendons and made sure that all tendons are only touching on the native bone instead of any part of the prosthesis. I am already doing better than I did with my original surgery but I need to wait and see how things go after all the drugs wear off from the surgery.



Golfer67
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom