Revision THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

I am coming to the end of my first full day of recovery and it has been better than I could have hoped for. I am keeping my pain controlled with the meds and just waiting to get better. I will update you guys as things get better and I get stronger but I am doing much better than I did on my first hip replacement.



Golfer67
 
Woohoo! Happy Dance :happydance:So wonderful to read!
Glad to hear your pain is well managed. Sending best wishes for comfort as you begin healing.
@golfer67
 
:wave:So glad to see your post and to know your surgeon has you on the road to healthy and pain free.

You know the drill:ice:
 
Oh, this is such good news. I’m so happy for you. I can relate. A short time after my tenotomy I wrote in my journal: now I know how people who didn’t have tendon issues felt after their THR. Continued good healing blessings. :egypdance:
 
So happy for you! :yay::wowspring:
 
Update four days postop. I am doing so much better than this time after my first hip surgery. I am already off all meds except two extra strength Tylenols every six hours (no opioids). I am able to get around the house only using my cane and I am sleeping better than I have in two years. If everything keeps improving at this pace I will be over this surgery in no time.

Golfer67
 
So happy to see your post :yes!:
I know You knew something wasn't right...
Now...to heal.
I was so happy when I could sleep with No Pain.

It is truly a blessing!
 
It’s nice to have validation of your intuition, persistence and decisions. This is wonderful! Just wonderful! Continued good speedy healing. :egypdance:
 
Hi @golfer67
I have just read through your thread with horror at what you had to go through, and the poor treatment of the issues with the first THR. You have really had to fight to get it sorted. I am so pleased that the revision seems to have done the trick and recovery has been going well. I’m hoping the good progress has continued.
 
Wow, such good news! It's nice when these stories end with actual definitive action and improvement, rather than endless guesses or shrugs. Way to go!
 
Congratulations! I bet you are feeling so many emotions.. so happy for you.
 
I had my two week postop checkup today and Southern Joint Replacement Institute (SJRI) told me that I am doing very well. They took out my twenty eight stitches and scheduled therapy to start next week and once a week after that. SJRI told me that the original hardware was entirely too large and that the psoas was impinged causing my pain and swelling. It is still too early for me to know if I am cured or not I will have to wait until I get over the extremely large surgery that was required to revise my hip. I do feel like I am doing much better than I did with my first surgery. I go back in a month for a six week follow-up.



Golfer67
 
Another good update, it sounds like you are on your way to a positive recovery.
Your poor Psoas! But it will be much happier now.
 
It’s promising that you feel that you’re doing better than with your first surgery considering that revision is another big surgery. It’s no wonder the tendon was getting so sore. That first good post-op check is always so re-assuring. Try and not overdo especially with the PT. Prayers for better days ahead. Keep us posted.
 
Wonderful news, golfer! The explanation for the ongoing pain you struggled with makes sense, but I’m sure you’re a little apprehensive to breathe easy just yet, which is understandable. Let’s have faith that the revision was what you needed to get back to healthy and pain free.
Cheering from the sidelines always! :yes!: :yay:
@golfer67
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying a steady increase in energy and progress in general. With any luck, PT is taking it easy on you. :) Let us know how your six week follow up goes, we’d love to hear.
Have great weekend!
@golfer67
 
Thanks everyone for your concern and encouragement. Today is my four week mark and I think I am doing okay. I had my second therapy session today and the therapist thinks I am doing well. My surgery was much bigger that the standard hip replacement due to the fact that it is a revision so I know it will take more time to recover from than a normal hip replacement. I still have a lot of pain and tenderness and I know that this is to be expected. I can walk without my cane indoors but always use it when outside or anywhere beside my home. My biggest problem is at night when it is time to sleep the remaining pain keeps me awake so I am not sleeping well. Right after the surgery I slept well for a few nights but that wore off. It is still too early to know if the revision has cured my problems due to the continued pain from the surgery. All things considered I think I am doing well.



Golfer67
 
My biggest problem is at night when it is time to sleep the remaining pain keeps me awake so I am not sleeping well
It seems you’re doing well and that’s great to hear. I’m sorry you’re struggling with sleep. Consider talking to your surgeon, or primary care physician, about what you can take temporarily to help with pain before bedtime so you’re at least able to sleep.
It’s still very early into your recovery…hang in there!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom