Revision THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

Today it has been 14 weeks since my left hip revision surgery. I think I am doing well considering how much trauma my body went through to revise my original failed hip replacement. I am not completely well yet but I seem to be getting better every day. The swelling is not as bad as it was and I can finally raise my operated leg up nearly as well as my non operated leg so I think I am getting closer to a total recovery. I have been going to physical therapy since about two weeks after the surgery and the therapist tells me that I am doing well. I only started to get a lot better about a week ago and before I started to get better I was starting to get worried that the recovery was starting to stall and that maybe something was wrong but now I am confident that I am going to get over this and back to some semblance of normal. My doctor told me way back at my 6 week checkup that I could start playing golf again if I wanted to but the pain and swelling has kept from playing golf as of yet. I have gone out to my golf course and walked the course without playing a few times this week and that went okay. All things considered I am happy with the outcome of my revision surgery.



Golfer67
 
Good update! I bet walking the golf course felt good, especially if it went well. It’s good to have realistic expectations in regards to your recovery.
Your body has been put through a lot.
Keep up that positivity!
 
Nice update, golfer67! Remember that recovery can take a full year, even longer for some, so cut yourself some slack, you have a ways to go and seem to be doing very well. It’s been a long journey and I’m happy to see you moving in the right direction. :yes!:
Have a great weekend!
@golfer67
 
Great to see this update. I feel like 14 weeks still means you are going to still have some incredible recovery steps to have. You're still early on in your recovery progress. Such great news to read. Congrats on getting this far and doing so well.
 
Hang in there! Played 9 this morning after 4/5 surgery and it felt great to play with no pain. Have a way to go, need some more strength and endurance but getting my mojo back and you will too.
 
I only started to get a lot better about a week ago and before I started to get better I was starting to get worried that the recovery was starting to stall and that maybe something was wrong but now I am confident that I am going to get over this and back to some semblance of normal.
We all recover in our own time-- but it is a wonderful feeling to finally turn the corner after struggling to recover!

Glad you were able to get out and walk the golf course. You are very wise not to push yourself beyond what you feel your body is ready to handle.

Your attitude is great and it sounds like you are on your way!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. Enjoy the weekend!
@golfer67
 
@golfer67
How are you doing on the eve of the five month anniversary of your revision? I hope well. Have you been able to get out golfing much?
I hope you’re having a nice Summer!
 
Today it has been 14 weeks since my left hip revision surgery. I think I am doing well considering how much trauma my body went through to revise my original failed hip replacement. I am not completely well yet but I seem to be getting better every day. The swelling is not as bad as it was and I can finally raise my operated leg up nearly as well as my non operated leg so I think I am getting closer to a total recovery. I have been going to physical therapy since about two weeks after the surgery and the therapist tells me that I am doing well. I only started to get a lot better about a week ago and before I started to get better I was starting to get worried that the recovery was starting to stall and that maybe something was wrong but now I am confident that I am going to get over this and back to some semblance of normal. My doctor told me way back at my 6 week checkup that I could start playing golf again if I wanted to but the pain and swelling has kept from playing golf as of yet. I have gone out to my golf course and walked the course without playing a few times this week and that went okay. All things considered I am happy with the outcome of my revision surgery.



Golfer67
Just wanted to say I'm very happy to hear this Golfer!

I've also made some new progress in my recovery, it seems mine really just needed more time. It feels that after the 15th month mark, it turned around quite suddenly for me and my ability to improve at the gym without setbacks is now progressing more smoothly.

Looking forward to seeing you reach a full recovery now.
 
I have been very reluctant to make this post because I so dearly wanted all my lingering hip problems to resolve and go away. I had a revision hip replacement done in February of 2022 (this year) and it appeared that the revision had cured all my symptoms but I have continued to have pain and swelling over the trochanteric area of my hip. I finally went back to my revision surgeon on 12/05/2022 and he thinks I have Iliotibial band syndrome (ITB) that may require an ITB release (Fasciotomy) and a removal of the bursas around my hip. My Doctor has scheduled an MRI on 01/03/2023 and if he does not see something that was missed such as a torn tendon or ligament then he is going to recommend the ITB Release and Bursa removal. My other hip is also showing signs that it may need replaced soon due to pain and labral tears, there is a cyst showing on the x-ray that is an unmistakable sign of torn labral and arthritis. I may decide to have my right hip replaced and my left ITB band fixed with the same operation. My right hip is not nearly as bad as my left hip was before my replacement but if it is going to need replaced in the near future then I don’t want to wait until I am so old that I can’t withstand the surgery. Okay that is my update of my left hip revision done ten months ago.



Golfer67
 
@golfer67, I'm so sorry to hear what a hard time you're going through-- the thought of going through ITB Release and bursa removal as well as another hip replacement only 10 months after a hip revision has to be overwhelming!

Please don't feel reluctant to post anything you're facing. We all care, we all understand, and we want to help any way we can. Hang in best you can and keep us posted. :hugzz:
 
I am so sorry that you seem to be plagued by issues with this hip, golfer. Here is some information from the BoneSmart library that you may, or may not have read. Please stay in touch and let us know how your MRI goes on the 3rd. I wish you comfort and peace as we move through the holidays. I'm telling you for all you've been through with this hip, you deserve a miraculous overnight recovery with your next hip! If only...right?!!
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
@golfer67
 
@golfer67 sorry to hear you're possibly facing another surgery on your left hip so soon after revision. Not sure if I'm missing something but curious about doing surgery for ITB (ilial-tibial band). Have they already had you do physical therapy/exercises or tried cortisone injections? Reason I ask is I've been told I have tight IT bands and trochanteric bursitis/syndrome on OP side as well as non-op side. Was told to do stretches and given an injection in each hip. Wishing you the best.
 
Hello ELF1
Yes I went through 8 months of therapy twice a week then I have kept doing the exercises that they taught me at the therapy place. The problem just stays the same. I have had all the injections that I can on my replaced hip. My hip doctor prescribed Meloxicam for inflammation but my heart doctor advised me to only take it if I am having breakthrough pain because he says it will raise my blood pressure and could cause kidney damage.

Golfer67
 
Wow Golfer, so sorry, sounds like a lot to get through, wishing you the best.
 
Bummer, all around! I am thinking out loud here, wondering if the other hip deteriorating is causing some of the issues with revision hip? Probably not but I do remember my arthritic hip pain sent pain messages all over my body.

Hang in there, we are here rooting for good outcomes on both hips.
 
@golfer67 I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing issues. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
There is another member that had ITB release, albeit before her THR. Perhaps she could give you some insight/encouragement on this specific procedure. I'll tag her for you: @beachgal
Also @DollyS is facing this same procedure for mobility issues. Otherwise, the literature I have read seems favorable about the offending bursa being removed to correct recalcitrant bursitis. Keep us posted as you move forward. Best wishes.
 
Last edited:
I will be having IT band release surgery next week. I am so afraid that it won't work for my issues, but I have no other options as I have exhausted all non-surgical options. I will update you.
 
Hello DollyS

Good Luck with your IT band release next week I think you will find that the surgery is very easy and the recovery is very fast I hope it cures your problems. I am waiting for my surgeon to contact me with the results of the MRI that I had last Friday at a local facility the holdup is the time it takes for the MRI disc to get from the local facility to my surgeon’s office by snail mail I intend to check on that tomorrow. My surgeon had the MRI done to make sure that there is not something like a torn muscle or detached tendon that he has missed. If everything is good then he wants to do the ITB release to fix the swelling and pain that I am still having since my revision surgery. I will be watching your post to see how you do and once again good luck.



Golfer67
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom