Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

Golfer67,
My smart phone was a great sleep aid after I stopped using prescribed tramadol for pain at night. I took my phone to bed with me and still do on some nights.
If your phone allows, there are tons of youtube guided meditations for sleep, and for sleeping with pain. I had resisted that sort of thing as being way too woo-woo, but I found some that worked for me. In one the idea was to focus on various body parts that didn't hurt, like the feeling of an arm sinking into the warm soft bed, the your foot, then your left ear, etc.
There are also free sleep stories apps or ones on youtube. One of my favorites is some guy droning on and on about a train ride in Norway. It's interesting enough to distract from pain or discomfort, but not so much that it makes you want to pack for the trip. I've found some free classic radio apps too.
The whole idea is that your brain can't focus on two things at once, so when it gets involved in stories or whatever, it 'forgets' about the pain.
I hope this helps. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
 
Hello Golfer-I hope your recovery is going well and that this is a good week for you-and I have an extra-special interest as I'm mulling over revision surgery due to a cup overhang issue myself. I too have had several years of frustration with PT, Xrays showing "everything looks great!", etc. So boy, do I feel you!
 
Hey @golfer67
Wondering how you’re progressing, how PT is going and if you had your next follow up appointment yet? I know you’re due to.
I hope you’re doing well and feeling stronger with each passing week. :)
 
It has been 6 weeks since my revision surgery and I think I am doing very well. I only use my cane when I go outside of the house and that is just to warn people that I don’t need to be bumped into. I still have a lot of psoas pain and that bothers me because that is the same pain that I had before the revision surgery. I am also still dealing with some swelling around the hip and incision but I think that is normal. The pain and swelling that I still have seems to be getting a little better every day so all things considered I think I am on track to make a complete recovery. I do go to my doctor on 3/30/2022 for my 6 week checkup and I hope to get more information and good news then. Arroyo65 I know what you are going through and it is very insulting when you know you have a problem but can’t get your doctor to acknowledge the problem. I had to go to an institution that only does joints and they saw the problem immediately so you might try a place like that if there is one in your area. I went to The Southern Joint Replacement Institute in Nashville TN but if you live too far from Nashville I am sure there are similar places near you that you could try.



Golfer67
 
@golfer67
Happy to hear your recovery is going well.:ok:
Slow and steady....and I hope this spring will be especially full of new beginnings.:flwrysmile::happydance:
 
This is sounding good. I hope, as Eman85 says, you will be back on the golf course before too long.
 
Nice update! Great news to read you’re doing well. I wish you the best with your appointment this week. Let us know how it goes when you have time.
@golfer67
 
. I still have a lot of psoas pain and that bothers me because that is the same pain that I had before the revision surgery.
Hopefully this is just “normal psoas pain”. I put this here in case it helps your worries about it. My psoas bothered me a lot with my second THR.
My OS asked me to give it until a full year had passed- by then it was much less but certain movements bothered me.
Somewhere around 15-16 months it resolved itself.
Your psoas took a beating after your first surgery and recovery- it makes sense that it will be a little touchy for quite a while.
I sure hope this is the case!
 
I went for my 6 week checkup on 3/30/2022 last Wednesday. My surgeon told me that everything looks good and that I am on track for a complete recovery. My surgeon also pointed out on x-ray the misaligned cup from the first surgery and showed me the new cup and its proper alignment. He also told me that when he had me open to do the revision that he could visually see the extensive damage to my psoas tendon from the misaligned acetabular cup from my first surgery. He told me that he is certain that he found and corrected my problem. So all I have to do is wait for everything to heal and I should be okay.



Golfer67
 
Very good news! Now the cause of damage has been removed, your poor tendon can heal. And then, no more pain. It has been a long haul, but victory is in sight.
 
Wow…this is an awesome update and such wonderful news! I’m very happy for you @golfer67 its been a long journey and about time things begin looking up.
A brighter future on the way! :SUNsmile:
 
So glad to see this update.
So sorry that the first THR led to these issues, but your determination and positive attitude has served you well!

Onward and Upward:tada:
 
Hey there @golfer67 :wave:
It’s been two months already since your revision.
Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful week.
 
Hi Golfer! I noticed a nice post from you on another member's thread. So happy for you, you are on your way to a complete recovery and boy did you ever earn it!
 
@golfer67 Hi! You're coming up on your 3 month revision anniversary. I was just stopping by to see how your recovery is going. Hopefully, all is well.
 
It has been 6 weeks since my revision surgery and I think I am doing very well. I only use my cane when I go outside of the house and that is just to warn people that I don’t need to be bumped into. I still have a lot of psoas pain and that bothers me because that is the same pain that I had before the revision surgery. I am also still dealing with some swelling around the hip and incision but I think that is normal. The pain and swelling that I still have seems to be getting a little better every day so all things considered I think I am on track to make a complete recovery. I do go to my doctor on 3/30/2022 for my 6 week checkup and I hope to get more information and good news then. Arroyo65 I know what you are going through and it is very insulting when you know you have a problem but can’t get your doctor to acknowledge the problem. I had to go to an institution that only does joints and they saw the problem immediately so you might try a place like that if there is one in your area. I went to The Southern Joint Replacement Institute in Nashville TN but if you live too far from Nashville I am sure there are similar places near you that you could try.



Golfer67
You know don't stress yourself out to much on the psoas pain. I had the exact same concern you have(I am 3 months post op), and had it for a while after surgery. Because you had issues before surgery with it, a lot of the muscles around your hip, hip and back need to strengthen and re-adjust again to help support your psoas. Give it time and really focus on having as normal gait as possible to help alleviate or prolong your recovery. Once I was allowed to start doing stretches at the 12 week mark, that also made a HUGE difference. The only catch with that one, is you want to make sure you are cleared to be able to start doing certain gentle stretches. This early on(even at 3 months with me), you are still super early in recovery, and you don't want to do too much or the wrong stretch and risk damaging the new joint, tear soft tissue or dislocate.
You will get there. I was soooooo stressed over that exact issue in those early stages of walking. You'll get there, just need to give your body time to heal and don't overdo it. If you find you're getting more pain, then it's probably because you're doing too much. Listen to your body. It will build the stamina and body structure gradually.
 
Oh Happy Day…another month out of the way on your recovery journey from revision.
Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope all is still well and you’re feeling stronger and steadier on your feet each month. Have a great rest of the week!
@golfer67
 
This is encouraging news!! Sounds like you have a great surgeon! Thank you for your post! Happy healing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom