BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] Going bionic, part 2

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by chatterz, Oct 2, 2016.

1. baclectic

baclectic Member

United States United States
    Oh, I wanted to mention - I've taught my dog the phrase "go back" or just "back," because when I open the pantry door where his treats are, he charges me (he's close to 100 lb.). As he's running towards me, when I say loudly and firmly "back" he'll run back to the living room and sit - about 15 ft. back. Maybe it'd help with your baby.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. chatterz

chatterz Member

Thanks for this! Honestly, thank you. Most of the time I feel like I should be fully recovered and not having problems at this point. My left hip took far longer than this to heal, mainly because the right hip was in bad shape, so I'm comparing these recoveries and maybe I shouldn't. I did walk funny for many years - people used to ask why I limped way back when I was in my 30's (and in denial of having OA) - so I do need some extra time to figure out this new-fangled walking and retraining my muscles and not worry about it taking a long time to perfect.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. chatterz

chatterz Member

I discussed continuing (or not!) with PT with my favorite PT lady. It's $25 each visit, which isn't bad, but I can do these exercises at home. Including the ice, stim treatments and ultrasound treatments as I have both those machines at home. She told me that she could give me a final list of exercises to work on or they offer a $30/month option where I come in and do my exercises and can have access to the aids helping me. Interesting. I usually quit PT when I've tired of the cost and don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything anymore. I'm leaning toward just ending the PT, especially since yesterday she said I no longer needed my hip muscles massaged. What?! That was the real selling point of PT to me.

All the talk on this board is about hips not needing any PT. It's time I embrace the Bone Smart mantra!

• Like Like x 2
  4. chatterz

chatterz Member

I went for a slooooow walk today. Only went about 2/3 of a mile, but I concentrated on doing it properly. It's so many things to think of at once! Not tilting, taking even steps, swinging my arms, picking up my feet so I don't trip, slightly swinging my hips and watching for uneven pavement. Yikes! I had to stop a few times to reset my gait when my mind wandered and I felt myself tilting/limping. I'm rather sore tonight - muscles around my hips, not the actual hip joints, so I'm thinking I'm probably doing it right.

I have canceled my PT appointments this week. It feels like I cut my lifeline. I really felt comfortable asking all sorts of questions to my PT and I'll miss her cheerful demeanor, but I do think it's a waste of time and money at this point. I would go back in a heartbeat to this place if I needed some PT in the future. I really lucked out in finding a place where the employees seem to like their jobs and each other, and everyone helps everyone else. Heck, they close down the office daily and everyone eats lunch together!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Cas

Cas Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    so glad you are feeling more positive about your healing. Having looked around it seems that everyone has problems realising that one hip op does not mean the other recovery will be the same - so don't beat yourself up over that. As for cutting your lifeline please remember you have one here where there are loads of people who will help and support you and give reassurance when needed. They also have wealth of good advice for you - just tag someone and they will help you through. Keep going you are doing fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. chatterz

chatterz Member

I agree with you! It's been easy to find posts with the answers to most questions (seems I don't have a unique situation!) and the advice is always spot on and helpful! I also am so appreciative of the kindness and encouragement of the members here! I hope someday to give back what I've been given.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. chatterz

chatterz Member

Went for my 12 week check-up - a little late because the surgeon took off the week after Christmas and canceled on me. How dare he have a life?! He said my walking was a little stiff but that I had no limp and wasn't tilting. So, I'll let that "stiff" criticism slide. My range of motion has improved - not to my former flexibility of years gone by, but definitely in the range of normal. The doctor lifted all my restrictions, but I think I'll take it easy and not take chances. I want to enjoy these new working hips for many years.

The elevator in the medical building was out of order and I was amazed at all the griping and moaning from people having to climb the stairs. Well, we were in a medical building, so I think I shouldn't be so harsh on them. I, on the other hand, was almost smug in my ascent (and later in my descent) of said stairs. I must say that I haven't felt confident in conquering any set of stairs in years. Years!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

LOL at the stairs story. That is great!! Glad you are doing well. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator Staff Member

Please don't worry about using that new hip. These implants are tough! But your hip will tell you if you are moving wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. chatterz

chatterz Member

I'm at the 15 week mark now. I am further along in my recovery than I was with the other hip. I received a temporary handicapped placard for my car for 6 months. Last time I wished I just had another two months using it, but this time I feel confident that I don't need it anymore, although I have it until April and I'll probably use it just because I have it. Is that bad? I actually stopped midway down the stairs yesterday when I realized that I was going down like a normal person. It's been over a decade since I was able to do that. I'm walking 2 miles every day. I do a few balance exercises every day as I'm older and my balance is not quite where it should be, and I want to avoid a fall. I haven't gone back to aqua aerobics, but that's mainly because of the weather. And let's not forget the 13 pounds I've gained since my surgery. Yikes! My divorce was finalized in late December, so emotionally, I'm doing better as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Jaycey

Great update @chatterz ! Sounds like you are doing really well. Long may this continue!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. chatterz

chatterz Member

It's been 18 weeks now and this morning I was able to cut my own toenails. I went very slowly and was alert for any funny business from the hip joint. Nothing. Success!

I also was in my doctor's office this week and he measured my height. Now, I've been 5' 6 1/4" since I was in 8th grade. Forever! Well, I'm now 5' 6 1/2". We measured twice. I've grown! If this keeps up, I'll be joining the WNBA. :wink:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. chatterz

chatterz Member

My divorce finalized at the end of December. I wouldn't recommend going through major surgery and a divorce at the same time to anyone! I was sitting around waiting for the divorce and thought it would be a way to pass the time. Mind you, I had been delaying the surgery for a while. I also wasn't sure if I'd have such great insurance to cover the costs of it all once the divorce was final. All in all, I'm glad I did it when I did, although the emotional ups and downs were intensified and almost unbearable at times, dealing with both ordeals at once. Now that I'm single, my body is feeling good too, so that is a plus. I recently went to Nevada and purchased a home there for myself. I think packing up will not be as difficult now that my hips are working. I found a company that loads up and then unloads the U-Haul at the other end, so I won't have to lift heavy things. I really will get a fresh start at life.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. leejaa

leejaa Post-Grad

Sounds like you are on your way now to a new pain free life physically and emotionally. Sounds like a great change to have your own new home to set up without pain. Enjoy your new life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Graduate

Hi @chatterz , I read part of your recovery thread and it's good that you're doing so well. Some of your comments were funny, you are good humored. Kudos to you for picking up and moving to another state, what a great way to start a new beginning and with new hips :). A friend's son moved to a new development near Reno a year ago and loves it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Clipper

Clipper Member

What a fine update @chatterz! You have to feel a lot of pride in what you've accomplished with the hips, becoming single, and moving to NV! This sounds like an exciting time in your life. Thanks for sharing, best of luck, and I hope you'll post an update after you get moved in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. chatterz

chatterz Member

Today marks 6 months since my surgery. I lose my handicapped parking plaque today. I'll miss that! It was wonderful to be able to park up front and close where ever I went. Now, I'll have to just accept that I'm cured and stop pretending to be otherwise.

I still have a tendency to limp a bit. It really is something I have to continue to think about. I have no reason to limp, other than it being a habit. I am pleased with my ability to walk down a set of stairs without holding on anymore. I walk everywhere I can. I take aqua aerobics classes. I am very happy with my two new hips. The area below each incision site is still numb. I assume that will not change. It's a small price to pay for the lack of pain and increased mobility from the surgeries.

My knees have improved with the new hips as well. They were the culprits when I first started this journey years ago. I had knee braces galore and honestly thought I'd need to have them replaced. Instead, my rheumatologist got me headed in the right direction to getting the hips replaced. I used to plan my days around the levels of pain in my hips and knees. Now, I rarely give them a thought. I learned how to tape my knees with kinesiology tape, although, since I've quit PT, I haven't had the need to tape them. Hmmmm.

I really love this website. I have spent hours reading and researching here. The people are amazing in their ability to lessen fears of the unknown and to comfort one another in times of stress. Truly something that is needed in this scary process. After the surgery, most of us don't know what is normal or even what to expect, so I was grateful for the BoneSmart community. Thank you to everyone who contributes here, whether it be just to relate your journey or encourage others on theirs. It is nice knowing one is not alone and that someone else has gone through the same weird thing you're experiencing and knows just what will help. The many tips are invaluable! I continue to send people here to learn and calm their fears. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

chatterz,
    Wonderful to hear how well you are doing :yay:. Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. :thankyou:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Yay! Glad to read you are doing so well!! Thanks for the update. I am just a bit over 10 weeks out now and still recovering and hope to be were you are by the fall. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Jaycey

@chatterz Great update - thank you! Yes, not having to plan your life around pain is truly a gift. Thank goodness we can all take advantage of this wonderful technology.

Please don't be a stranger - you will always be a part of this community!

• Like Like x 3