BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] Going bionic, part 2

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by chatterz, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Cement is only hard on your joints if you are running on it. Walking should not be a problem at all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gertie

gertie Graduate

United States United States
    Hmm... this would be level but I've always found the mall floor surface to be harder on my achy joints than pavement. I sometimes go to a nearby track--level and slightly springy surface.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scott

Scott Senior

I'm not intentionally disagreeing with @Jaycey at all but all treadmills are not built the same. Some have decks that are specifically designed to be easier on leg joints. It's worth at least doing your own tests to see which surface feels better to you to walk on. If weather comes into play the decision often becomes very easy :blackcloud:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. chatterz

chatterz Member

And now I remember why I don't like walking the neighborhood sidewalks. They can have raised edges and uneven broken spots from one section to another from tree roots and whatever else is under there. I caught my foot on one yesterday and went flying. Dang it all to heck! Landed on my new hip and, although I'm glad that I didn't land on my knee like last year, I ended up at the doctor's office this morning to make sure all the aches and pain from it weren't fatal. The x-rays looked fine, but my hip is all kinds of lovely shades of blue, purple and black. I've got new pain meds and was told to start over with the icing and elevation and to stay off my leg as much as I can. Wish I hadn't postponed my Christmas shopping. Bah humbug!

5. Krista

Krista Graduate

How scary, @chatterz! Glad the x-rays are good, and I hope no real damage has been done. Setbacks are awful. I've done my Christmas shopping online this year. With my back fracture this summer, I was unable to get out much before my surgery, and I'm sure not capable of doing it yet. Plus, we got 7 inches of snow yesterday, and it shows no signs of melting.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. chatterz

chatterz Member

@Krista, thanks for the sympathy. I've been whining all day and I think I'm done now. I cannot wrap my mind around 7" of snow! I don't think I've been in actual snow for at least 30 years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Krista

Krista Graduate

Ha ha, @chatterz, I think you are allowed to whine after a fall, for a couple of days, at least! I am so scared of them that I have been ultra careful since I had one in February of 2015, before my THR the following July. Falls can be very dangerous, even deadly for older people, especially those of us who are fragile to begin with. That 7 inches we had is not a big deal. Sometimes we have multiple feet of the white stuff on the ground for months at a time!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

Poor @chatterz - how frightening. We all feel so protective of our new hip/s. I remember, a couple of days after I arrived home after my second, a nightime loo visit when I stubbed my toe on a piece of furniture. It felt like an electric shock all the way up my leg. So glad your x-ray was clear. I'm with @Krista - Father Internet Christmas has always been my friend but never more than this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Well @chatterz we have all had that first fall and mostly survived. You will be sore for the next few days. And you are already seeing the bruising.

The good news is these implants are pretty tough. I too landed directly on my right hip on cement last winter. All that was injured was my ego. Take care and do keep us updated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chatterz

chatterz Member

I had to drag myself out of bed yesterday to go see the lawyers for my divorce to sign the final papers. I debated whether I would use my rolling walker or a cane. I didn't want to appear too weak and pitiful, so I opted for the cane. It worked out well. I'm stiffer than I'd like, but the pain is more a dull ache now. Sitting in the car for 40 minutes in L.A. traffic was the worst part. Couldn't move my leg and that made everything stiffer. Came home and decided to go with some Tylenol instead of the Norco, which was upsetting my stomach. This morning I have a huge headache and picking out what I want to take for it is just too much for me right now. Maybe an early moring nap will have to suffice.

11. Cas

Cas Senior

so sorry about your fall - that's my fear as well at the moment with all the freezing fog and ice here. Hope you are on the mend soon. I agree with internet shopping that's what I've done this year. As for snow could you send me some for Christmas Kirsta? Would love some and so would the dogs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Krista

Krista Graduate

@Cas, I'd love to get rid of some of our snow! Our dog loved it so much. Dogs just frolic and roll and run around like crazy in it!

13. chatterz

chatterz Member

I'm feeling better and the achiness in my hip is subsiding. The surface bruising is turning an ugly yellow-brown, but I think the deep bruising will remain for quite some time. I am to start walking on the treadmill again - it has handles to hold onto! - and only for 10 minutes twice a day, per the doctor. I will return to PT on Monday.

14. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Take that treadmill slow and steady my friend. And yes, hold on tight. No more falls needed.

15. chatterz

chatterz Member

I went to see a local production of "A Christmas Carol" today and, prior to the performance, I wandered the grounds with a friend for 30 minutes - with my cane. I was nervous with kids running by me and adults not paying attention and almost running into me. I was grateful to have the cane to force people to keep their distance from me, but I think I need to get over my anxiety about this, but I'm not sure how.

16. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Just keep practicing. As you get more sure footed you will gain confidence. It's good to take a friend with you if you are anxious. You'll get there!

17. Cas

Cas Senior

I'm worried about people, kids and dogs when out. I feel as though I'm permanently looking over my shoulder but I suppose that's normal. I have a fear of dislocation and then having to start all over again - what a wimp eh. Think Jaycey is right the more we get mobile the more we will trust. I'm, dreading the day I take my new dog out and let him loose because he always wants to play and run into you! Will have to b.ite the bullet one day but not yet methinks ! Have a lovely day and hope your bruises soon start to get better

18. chatterz

chatterz Member

I've had a lot of things going on in my life, mostly unpleasant, so I haven't been on this site in a while. Today marks 12 weeks since my surgery. I'm still going to PT as it continues to be helpful to me. I have struggled with pain when I lift my leg to the front. Also, from a prone position, I have been unable to lift my leg straight up. This has been worrisome to me. I don't remember if I had this problem after my left hip replacement. My PT continues to massage the muscles around my incision each visit along with stim therapy and ice after my strengthening exercises. This past week we evaluated my walk and it was determined that I still walk with a slight tilt, probably more from habit than anything else. I'm finding that when I walk "correctly" I am exhausted fairly quickly, so it's something I will continue to work on. I don't know how much longer I will be seeing the PT, but I can't imagine too much longer. I have 3 more visits scheduled and then I see the ortho surgeon.

19. Cas

Cas Senior

so sorry you've had problems that won't have helped your recovery. 12 weeks is still early in recovery I can't lift my leg either but am sure this will come eventually. As for the exhaustion after walking correctly I have that too but I have to remind myself that for years I've walked wrongly and all the muscles have to retrain themselves! I still get odd pain in groin after walking too much but the length of time is getting better. Keep going am sure it will all be fine. You did it once before and you can do it again. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  20. baclectic

baclectic Member

Having a lazy day. My rant the other night produced a few genuine people who cared enough to respond. How special is that!! Thank you for your kindness - it means a lot.

I'm focusing on resting and not going anywhere. Right now I'm in a recliner icing with a heating pad on my back. I'm not in much pain at the moment. Slight aching and, of course, totally stiff when I stand. After walking a bit it seems to go away, only to return once I sit down.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum