THR goatram is down on the deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surgery went well. Initially there was less pain. Dwight my Dayshift nurse was a strict task master. By Thursday morning he was telling me no more using the pump. Around noon time he was wanting to pull it and he said no when asked for one more.

It was not till later on Thursday night did my pain raise above a 4 on the scale. Been combating it since thou, it tends to bounce around. Overall the pain has been less But some different issues have come up.
1.The Ligament in the groin area is super tight
2.Swelling has been worse even thou I have kept ice on it constantly
3.The dreaded length issue is my Companion now. (OS made a comment that my rt leg was shorter but he fixed it) My rt leg is not wanting to straightened out. Using my walker as support, Lt leg full weight bearing my rt does not have the room to lock.

The visiting nurse is to show up around 12:30/ Shall see how that goes. Then the Traveling PT lady will show sometime soon as well.

Day 6 and on the road again
 
John -

Welcome to the double hippie group ! Glad that surgery went well. For what it's worth, that leg length issue that bothered me after #2 IS becoming a non-issue now after 2 months like they told me it probably would. X-ray showed it about 2mm longer, but the muscles and all must be adjusting as I forget about it most of the time now. Good to hear from you Sir and best wishes on your recovery. Fishing season awaits you.

Kevin
 
Hey John,

Good to hear from you and happy everything is going well. Congratulations!

Dweedle Dumb Dwight Doh!! No fun at all with the morphine.....tututututut

Hope your resting.

Night Night,

xxooxx
 
Happy Saturday John,

How are you doing, hope you are resting up and rebounding quickly!

Have a good weekend,

xxooxx
 
Happy Sunday from down under...

Keep on trucking, that boat of yours is awaiting and the fish are jumping :)
 
Well things are moving along. Getting plenty of sleep and rest in my chair and bed. Couple of Days ago I tried to sleep on the new right side hip. It felt like I was on a metal bed. I turned over and slept on the leftside. Sleep is getting better though.

The Length difference is getting less noticeable. The tendon and muscle soreness is there and talks to me. PT Lady Karen advised heat there and that advice is working. Just got back from walking down to the mailbox to get the mail. The first real walk in a week and half. I am sore and tomorrow I will find out if I did too much. My driveway is 200 feet long and the house sits about 35' above the road.

Overall I am doing fine and waiting for spring to come to the PNW. May warm and calm weather be had by all.
 
Good to read your update John. Sounds like the LLD will be a non-event in a few more weeks.

You'll be reading for fishing in May (okay maybe June)
 
Keven
The season starts May the 9th at LaPush, WA for 4 days of fishing then come home Sunday drop off the Fish, Clean up and head back for the next Wednesday to fish Thursday thru Sunday. Might be rough but doable for the total 8 days of fishing in those two weeks. End of May will be 9 weeks postop. Makes the first two weekends the 7th and 8th week postop. Based on how I did on the first hip I think I will be fine. Others on the boat will be picking up the cleaning portion of the after trip work to include the cleaning of the fish. I will be bagging and sealing it.

Wife is fighting me on this. (as some of you might as well) She is not accepting her loss right out of the gate. She is having a hard time accepting it
 
Congratulations John! Can't wait to get back to some serious fishing this year myself! Better days are coming.

Question...what are you on for pain meds? I could be wrong but I've a feeling that you are not getting enough pain relief.
 
Congratulations John! Can't wait to get back to some serious fishing this year myself! Better days are coming.

Question...what are you on for pain meds? I could be wrong but I've a feeling that you are not getting enough pain relief.

I switched from a little blue Moriphine pill twice a day and one to two 5/325 percucets every four to 6 hours to one to two 7.5/325 percucet. Today the Shined and the outside kept calling me. I gave in and dressed up and putsed around the shop and my boat. every 3.5 hrs the pain would be back. I am two weeks postop today and today was the first time I stood and walked around for about 5 hours total. The right leg was sore; the ligaments and muscles protested loudly. I am now sitting and watching TV and taking it easy for the rest of night.

Spring is coming:yahoo:
 
Just be sure not to push too hard right now. The more you take things easy and keep pain and swelling down in April, the better the chances you'll feel pretty good come fishing time in May.
 
John,

Sounds like you are doing REALLY good for so early...but as Jamie mentions, just be careful you don't overdo it. 5 hours sounds like a really long time to be putsing around...but if it's working for ya...

Be well.

Z
 
Hi John

Those fish will still be there ready to jump on your line when you are ready... Best to be careful now, you have had two major surgeries in a short time....

We will be looking forward to the first fish photos and fish stories that's for sure!
 
Happy Easter John,

I think regardless of where you are at in your recovery you are still going outside to putz around and have fun hahahahaha and I love it! Heyyyy I never got blue morphine pain pills WAZZZUP with that!

Hope you and your wife are having a lovely (restful) holiday weekend!

xxoooxxx
 
Well for a 3 week update.

I must of upset my PT; she found me wacking Dandelion flowers with the Chuck-it Tennis Ball Thrower. She drove up and I was Using my Cain but at the Base of my driveway. Still on my Pain Meds every four hours or so. If I forget about it by the 5th hour I am soaring past the 6th level and heading to the moon.

I am doing the range of motion exercises along with stretching. Most of my pain is in the groin and outer thigh closer to the Knee. Heat is something I use to relieve it as well as some Soft Messages. No Thi Deep Tissue Style but gentle.

I do a lot of moving around and walking The Walker is kicked to the curb, using the cane for outside the house and walking slow and easy. Will have to use the Walker when I go and see my OS. He per the PT women is a stickler for that.

This being the second hip I feel it is the worse of the two so far.
1. Length issue (getting better but still feel it.)
2. Pain is greater now because of the tight ligaments and muscles.
3. Sleep is better so far getting 7 to 8 hours consistent.
4. Need a miracle for me to go fishing in 4 weeks I am thinking. Might still happen.
5 Spring is here and I am still stuck Kinda in the house. I do get around some. My truck's height does make getting in and out better than the wife's Fusion.
Pain meds Percucet 7.5/325 Plus a regular asprin and a extra strength Tylenol every 4 hours or so
 
Thanks for the update. I know you aren't as far along as you maybe think you should be. But.....I think you're doing just great! Having both of these surgeries is quite an assault on your body and recovery takes time. Hang in there. We haven't lost a single fisherman yet!!
 
Hey John,

Thanks for the update I was wondering how you was doing.

Sending lots of good wishes and speedy recovery!

xxooxx
 
John - thanks for the update. If it's any consolation to you, my 2nd hip recovery had several similarities to yours - more pain, took longer to recover, etc., BUT the final outcome was very good and made it all worth it. If you miss the fish this month, there will be others in the sea ! You have the most difficult part behind you now - on the home stretch. Great that you are sleeping so well.

Kevin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom