Guest viewing is limited

THR goatram is down on the deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goatram, if you having pain - even in the middle of the night - ask for pain meds. It sometimes takes awhile to get the "cocktail" right.

Take care!
 
Morning John,

Hope you got some sleep and the pain is better. Jaycey is right about the pain Meds your goal is to get the balance-cocktail of pain pills before you leave hospital. There is no reason for you to feel pain while there. Once you get home it's tougher to get the pain Meds changed going to pharmacy etc more of a headache. Have a fabulous day! xxooxx
 
Congratulations John! But listen to those that have gone before you...rest, ice, elevate AND PAIN MEDS ON SCHEDULE! You really should follow the plan especially when you get home.

Well done matey! Rest now and post when you get home.
 
I have neglected this. 4 days post op. I am relearning patience and relying on others for things that I could do before. Came home Friday afternoon, climbed up 13 steps to get to my bedroom on the 2nd story. I crashed waking every hour and half to go to the bathroom. My wife kept giving me more water to drink. Saturday morning and the PT calls then the visiting nurse. Scheduled times for them to show up learned a few things and had my wife get the idea I should not being having pain and to cut me back on the meds. So for the last two days I have been on the loosing end. Sunday Morning I did get to take my first shower. And today my goal is to transition to using the first floor and my office with the computer.

I have had two nurses say that I should not be feeling much pain and should try to get off of meds. Doc sent me home with 60ea of Percocet and 20 ea Oxycontin. No refills. Is this normal?
 
Hi John -

Good to hear from you but sorry about your pain. I suspect that "normal" is a pretty wide range after THR. My personal thought is that anyone who tells you that you should not be in pain, obviously did not just have their femur cut off and replaced. Kev says take it slow and tell yourself to be 10x more patient about recovery than you think. Glad that you'll have more access to computer - there are several of us here that enjoy hearing from you. Now you know how those fish you reel in feel after a long fight on the line.

Kevin
 
Morning John,

Glad you are home that's always a better feeling sleeping in ones own bed!

Yes on the pain Meds, I had no refills, however once I got close to running low my dr's office would call in refils. They can do it for the hydrocodone. if you prefer Percosets you will have to get someone to pick up the prescription.

Hope you get ahead of the pain quickly, it's really important to follow the prescription as written. Kevin is right about folks who comment about the pain...I also found some nurses were very against pain pills it's so easy for them to cast their comments if they are not going through the pain grrrrrr!!

Good to hear from you and all the best!

Sarah
 
At day 4, I still had significant pain and was taking oxycodone every 4 hours and miserable if I didn't. The pain started dropping off quickly around day 10. I say that, not to set up expectations, but because it was not at all predictable to me the way the course of the pain went. If you need them, take them. Like Sarah said, they actually can't give a refill for Percocet and oxy until you use up the first one. You need to get a fresh script b/c of the Schedule the drug is listed as. I'm sure you can get a new script if needed.
 
The nurse's comment about "you shouldn't be in pain" is way out of line! Grrrrr ...

And, as the others have said, call the MD office for more meds if needed. Give them quite a bit of time because they may need to mail a prescription to the pharmacy for the narcotics. They can't call them in.

Hang in there ...

Dorothy
 
I have to agree that for others tell you that you should not have any pain and therfore dont' t take pain relief meds is ridiculous. I don't think they would say such thing if it was them!!

If you need pain relief and you are running out of the meds do ask for them.

Patience, patience , patience seem to be the the watchword for recovery. It certainly needed to be for me.

It is early days and I am certain you will see improvements in a very short time

Keep us posted.
 
Thanks for the comments. Keven I am sure your wife became a significant part of your rehab. Keeping you straight in the fog.

I am downstairs in my chair rather than the bed. Doing my exercises today is alot easier than it was yesterday. The constant pain in the left has been replaced with surgical pain and the right side constant.


My story and I am sticking to it.
 
Great news about being up & about, exercising, and your pain improving John. You still have several weeks until fishing season so take your time healing up (don't rush it like I did).

Kevin
 
The letter from the OS's office about expected surgery dates and how long I should be out for is in the mail. End of May. Unlike Keven Who has some elevators and people movers around the Airports I would have to deal with Aircraft Entry ladders to the Flight Deck as well as the main cargo deck on a daily basis. ( I am prepping with the 13 ea steps to the second level.

Did any one cut a Precocet in half to take a pill and half or split the two pills apart by an hour or two? With two I have to much drug and get restless. can't sleep with constant movement.

My wife; Piya Started a log of when I have taken pills and did my excersizes. No story telling to her.
 
I'm laughing because my reply won't surprise you and others when it comes to the drug part of this surgery stuff!

Naaaaa I never split or cut back on the pills, I did keep a daily journal logging....here's the sad part I set the alarm on my iPhone so I knew every 4 hours to take 2. Now in my defense that I'm not a drug monkey today want all day and finally took 2 around 5pm I'm sore tonight ran errands this morning pus just did my mile + walk with my dog, it's rainy and cold here too.

I haven't really had pain since my surgery just stiffness. I'm super proactive the pain routine all those years back my car wreck taught me about pain management and I woukd skip the pills and suffer big time, I'd be in tears finally my dr gave me a big adult lecture.

Without sounding like nag sleeping on and off for a week or two is not a bad thing, by doing the sleeping part your body will heal and you will be stronger!

Happy Healing!

Your drug pro......Sarah xxooxx
 
Like the others I can't believe people are telling you that there should be no pain at this point. Definitely never had surgery of this kind in their lifetime! I'm 6 weeks out and still have some pain, quite managable but it's still there. Take those meds and call the Dr if you need more. My OS was able to call in Hydrocodone refills with no issues.

As far as the rest and sleeping, yep, keep it up, you will thank yourself in the end!! I don't know how they expect me to get back to work without a nap in the afternoon? I mean sheesh work will be hell! LOL :biggrin:

Take care,
Buffi
 
Day 7
I slept 6 hours before I woke up to take the pill and a break. Laying back down and trying to go back to sleep was tough
Swelling has gone down. Some bruising to show on the back side of my thigh. Wife left me at home for the day to go to work. Peace is in the house. My daughter's cat that she left me when she moved out has learned I do not like to get woke up for snuggles. Something about claws ripping into bare flesh while one is fast asleep in dream land will get one excited. I am a Dog person. The Cat is tolerated and and loved some. Ssssh the dog will hear me.

I am moving but this computer chair is still way to uncomfortable to sit for any length of time. The easy chair is better while the couch is torture to lay down on for any length of time. PT is going smoothly and is easier than I expected trying not to do to much. Walking in the house with the wider one is tough to get around the kitchen Island and transitions to carpet. Had a young man come by and cleaned off my front steps to the house for me to access my Driveway which is concrete 25' long by 60 wide. My house sits 50' higher than the road and the actual driveway is a 150' hill covered in gravel. Real nasty in the snow. I do not look fwd to any of the white stuff this year. I usually welcome it and spend hours on my Tractor cleaning the two miles of main road for our development.

Enough of my ramblings
 
I'm glad to hear you are settling into recovery. I'll second what the others have said about pain meds. The nurses who tried to make you feel guilty for needing them now are way, way off base. Ignore them and work with your doctor. You DO need pain meds in the early stages of recovery. And as you get more active in the coming weeks, you'll likely need MORE of them for a while!

Prescriptions for narcotics are almost always written with no refills. It just means you have to watch your pill bottle and call the doctor a few days in advance of running out. If your surgeon balks at a refill, contact your GP. This is serious surgery and it requires serious meds for a while.
 
Day 9 (counting the surgery)

PT Lady stopped by this morning and ran me thru my exercises. Said all looks good. She had me walk with the walker to my stairs and asked me to climb. I started to do as the hospital PT showed but she said no walker on the steps turned sideways. I climbed the stairs, She dragged the walker and I felt comfortable doing so. The trip down was uneventful as well. Pain is still there with me keeping it at bay. I am sleeping longer but getting past the first 2 hours is rough I think from the percocet I take at 10 pm. I will try instead the extra strength Tylonol and a half pill. I do get to sleep on my right side and that helps me a bunch. The left side is like I am on a hard painful metal bed.


Tonight I am going out visit with some friends and attend the Snoking Puget Sound Anglers Club meeting. PT Lady said OK but you will be sore in the morning.

That's Life
John
 
Hey John, take a cushion and ask for ice for the butt!!
:hysterical: :hysterical::hysterical:


p.s. my hubby keeps nagging for a F650. - he has a 250
 
I did have a fun night out. Some discomfort and Minor swelling last night but Today I used a can around the house and feeling pretty good. Hope tomorrow will be another good day.

Naps and TV watching are my forte.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom