Revision TKR Go for #4 LTKR?

I checked on Dr. Pollock and he does do revisions and adult reconstructive surgery. So it might be worth meeting with him.

I checked on all three of your surgeons and honestly there were no real red flags with any of them, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you've had so much trouble. The first surgeon was a bit of a generalist (does a lot of different types of orthopedic procedures), but your two revisions were done by surgeons who appeared to have experience with revising problem knees.

If you want to go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, here are some recommendations:

Dr. Matthew P. Abdel
Dr. Daniel Berry
 
@amrn46 Hello. I haven't gone to Dr Vaughan but I thought he was one of the top knee Dr's. Since he was the last Dr you used, did you reach back out to him just to hear what he has to say? Hope things turn around for you.
 
@amrn46 Hello. I haven't gone to Dr Vaughan but I thought he was one of the top knee Dr's. Since he was the last Dr you used, did you reach back out to him just to hear what he has to say? Hope things turn around for you.

Yes he is a great surgeon. I reached back and he feels that the femoral component must be redone due to instability. It is just so frustrating to be told this one year after 3rd Revision.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I checked on Dr. Pollock and he does do revisions and adult reconstructive surgery. So it might be worth meeting with him.

I checked on all three of your surgeons and honestly there were no real red flags with any of them, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you've had so much trouble. The first surgeon was a bit of a generalist (does a lot of different types of orthopedic procedures), but your two revisions were done by surgeons who appeared to have experience with revising problem knees.

If you want to go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, here are some recommendations:

Dr. Matthew P. Abdel
Dr. Daniel Berry

Thanks, I will keep you all posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have no suggestions but want to wish you good luck.
 
I, too, wish you the best of luck.
 
I checked on Dr. Pollock and he does do revisions and adult reconstructive surgery. So it might be worth meeting with him.

I checked on all three of your surgeons and honestly there were no real red flags with any of them, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you've had so much trouble. The first surgeon was a bit of a generalist (does a lot of different types of orthopedic procedures), but your two revisions were done by surgeons who appeared to have experience with revising problem knees.

If you want to go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, here are some recommendations:

Dr. Matthew P. Abdel
Dr. Daniel Berry

@Jamie
Dr David C Pollock did my first and revision #1.
Ann


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, I will keep you all posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I have found that it is hard to get an appointment in the MayoClinic in both Jacksonville and Minnesota. Jamie do you have any go to names there. Dr Vaughn states that I have an imbalance as the femur component is too small. I still have the 5 cm fluid filled pocket to the lateral aspect and oh so much pain. The final results of aspiration is negative. I so need the next one to be done right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Jamie
Dr David C Pollock did my first and revision #1.
Ann


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jamie
I have decided to have replacement 4 . Revision of left Knee to correct balance issues and failed femur component. I decided to stay with Dr Vaughn. I will keep you updated. My surgery is in April.
Thanks
Annie


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi all
So I am home now after knee Revision number 3, TKR number 4.
So as it turned out the components were not loose , and the OS was not sure why the imbalance occurred . He replaced a spacer component to a larger size. I am doing well and this is post op day 6. Thanks to all for the well wishes.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Welcome to recovery again, @amrn46 .

Let's hope that this time is the charm and you don't need to through through this again!
Please will you tell us the date of your latest revision, so we can add that to your signature? Thank you.

You've probably read all these articles before, but here is the recovery reading list, as a refresher.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
My surgery date was March 27, 2018 , and I thank you for the well wishes. I too pray that this is the one that allows me to get my life back.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@amm46 here is hoping the fourth time is the charm. What an ordeal you have had!
 
I pray that this is the final knee surgery with wonderful results!
 
I pray that this is the final knee surgery with wonderful results!

I pray so. I want you all to know that I am so happy that I found this group as there is much to learn from each other. Today is the one week mark , and I am really doing well. I will have staples removed on the 10th. PT is prohibited until then.
Thanks



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I would really take it easy with PT after this many surgeries. I had a spacer replacement and a removal of Adhesions (a Lysis of adhesions). My surgeon stressed that if you exercises a hot, inflamed knee you would cause adhesions to form. so, take it easy and let those soft tissues heal before you begin to gently exercise the leg.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom