Revision TKR Go for #4 LTKR?

I would really take it easy with PT after this many surgeries. I had a spacer replacement and a removal of Adhesions (a Lysis of adhesions). My surgeon stressed that if you exercises a hot, inflamed knee you would cause adhesions to form. so, take it easy and let those soft tissues heal before you begin to gently exercise the leg.

Yes, I am in an immobilizer until the staples are removed on Tuesday. I will start PT on Tuesday, but very slow.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Yes, I am in an immobilizer until the staples are removed on Tuesday. I will start PT on Tuesday, but very slow.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all
I want to report that I am headed into week four after TKR4 . I at 0 with extension and 94 with bending. I have started PT ,but having a lot of pain each day. I am taking Norco three times a day with a substitution of one dose with Tramadol 50. I am icing 4x daily and elevating as well. I think that I am doing reasonably well if I can control the pain.
Thanks to all.
 
It sounds like you're doing well with that good ROM. It's not unusual to need meds at 4 weeks and you're doing the right things by icing and elevating. Just watch out for PT as they sometimes push you to do too much.
After a bad experience with them pushing squats (even modified ones) on me too soon, that's something I always advise people to say no to. You can do them later if so inclined.
 
It sounds like you're doing well with that good ROM. It's not unusual to need meds at 4 weeks and you're doing the right things by icing and elevating. Just watch out for PT as they sometimes push you to do too much.
After a bad experience with them pushing squats (even modified ones) on me too soon, that's something I always advise people to say no to. You can do them later if so inclined.

Thanks for your comments. I am moving slow in PT for sure.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Slow and steady wins the recovery! As you build on your progress, you'll be really happy down the road when your knees respond by getting stronger and abler.
 
Hi all
It’s almost week five , and I am at 0 extending and 106 for flexion. Pain is slowly less intense on some days during the week.
I am beginning to think that there is life for me after 4 knee surgeries.
Thanks for the prayers.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Your ROM is excellent, we’d all like to have those numbers at 5 weeks! With 4 replacements I think you deserve early good ROM! :yahoo:
 
Yes, It is so amazing that 4 tries has led me to a place of some encouragement.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
What great numbers! This time is a charm!
 
Hello all
I have gained flexion at 110 now . I still have moderate pain after PT . I am wondering if twice a week is too much?
Any of your thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks so much!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
In my opinion pain means the knee is being stressed beyond what it wants or needs. I was at 109 when I was released from PT. I gained ROM just from biking (on 0 resistance) and walking on my own. I started walking just 5-10 minutes 2x a day and added 5 minutes every week. It took me a while to figure out that since I want my knee to be able to walk, the best thing I could do for it was walk. It was the best therapy I’ve done.
 
Thanks so much. I was thinking about using the bike at home and to start a walking plan. I am still taking Tramadol at 7 weeks due to this horrible pain after PT. Swelling only gets bad after PT.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I am still taking Tramadol at 7 weeks due to this horrible pain after PT. Swelling only gets bad after PT.
Both those things tell me that you are doing too much at PT. Try cutting it back. Your knee will still continue to improve.

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

You say you're icing your knee four times a day. How long for? You need to do it for at least 45 minutes each time, preferably longer, and elevate at the same time.
Make sure you have some material between your skin and the icing medium, so you don't get frost bite.
 
I am still taking Tramadol at 7 weeks due to this horrible pain after PT. Swelling only gets bad after PT.
Pain and swelling after PT is telling you that your knee is being overworked. You can quit PT and just live your life normally, using your knee in your daily living. That's all many of us ever did.
 
By this time, and with a bend of 110, you may not need PT anymore, especially since it only seems to aggravate the knee. I finished with PT at week 6 and just continued some of the exercises and stretches I learned on my own at my own (my knee's) pace. I continued to gain bend without continuing to go to PT.
 
I bet if you stopped PT and let your knee settle down, then started a walking program where you gradually increased the distance/time as your knee is able, you'd be very happy with the results. But don't start a walking program AND continue PT. Your knee is already telling you the PT is making it unhappy. Doing even more exercise would make it really grumpy!
 
As others have said, that pain after PT is your sign that the knee is being pushed too hard. In the case of TKR, less pain is best. Don’t begin walking or any type of exercise until your knee settles down. Work on getting the swelling down and relieving the pain.
 
Hi all
I am three months out continues good extension and ROM . The pain has not decreased. I still take tramadol for relief. My Dr. Have recommended Dry Needling. Have any of you had experienced with this after TKR?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Annie
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom