TKR Glosnana's Recovery

Hi there. I’m 13 weeks tomorrow. I went back to full time with this week and have got on well. However, each evening back to swelling of knee and a lot of pain. I guess it’s being overworked again as driving also in traffic. I’m walking well but still not able to go downstairs one by one. That’s impressive. Well done and an inspiration
 
@CME - good to hear your update! The surgery seems a lifetime ago somedays, other days like yesterday!
I drove quite a distance yesterday and suffered for it last night but needs must. Happy that your return to work has been gentle.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: CME
@Denny39 I'm replying on my thread so as not to derail the other person's thread I posted on!
I had so much health anxiety with the first op (my 1st surgery ever!) and I have minimal support at home that I'm not in a favourable emotional place to consider another surgery just yet. I also want to go back to the UK - sooner rather than later - and another surgery adds another 6 months to long haul flight scheduling! Too many considerations so 'lefty' has to be on hold for now. Congrats on your 2 good knees though, must be a relief to move forward - literally!
 
I understand. I wish you the best as you move forward at a pace that works for you. The time will come when its all behind you, and that will be a great day!
 
A little concerned! I have very little pain now but my knee is sore especially at and above my kneecap and worse on waking. It still feels stiff at the front but that's manageable and doesn't prevent me from doing ADL. I have definition now (you can see a knee!) so external swelling is down. I still ice and elevate when I can especially during the evening.:what:
 
Hi Glosnana! My RTKR was four days after yours. Congrats on the foot-over-foot downstairs walking! I'm not there yet but I feel it's getting there. I, too, have noticed I have knee definition now. :heehee: I wish you had more support at home but you seem to have done exceptionally well despite that. I still have small achy pain in my knee but really more just weak-feeling. I'm attributing it more to the fact that I stopped taking any pain meds - Tylenol included. I guess my knee is telling me it's time to work on strengthening. Wishing you the best.
 
@TortiTabby Thankyou! I think I may be overdoing it a bit as I have 3 small needy dogs and a needier cat! One of my dogs is trying to recover from an autoimmune disease and is on a cocktail of drugs. She needs lifting on and off her bed on the sofa and she steroid eats constantly. Maybe the constant up and down is aggravating my knee!
 
Poor little doggie... I hope he/she gets well soon. Now that we've been through this knee ordeal maybe we are more empathetic to others in need and can take even better care of others around us in their times of need.:puppysmooze:
 
Totally agree, now when I see someone limping or walking with a stick really feel empathetic. New for me.
 
14 weeks tomorrow. I have never measured my life and abilities by weeks before!!
The burning and soreness have subsided, I hope it's just elements of healing. Another bonus is that the feeling of a vice grip around my knee has lessened a little as well...but I'm certain that the humidity plays a big part in its increase on and off. If my other knee holds out until I return to England it will be interesting to see if there's a difference.
 
Another small victory today! I walked into a supermarket to grab a couple of things and i didn't automatically reach for a trolley/cart. Walked quite a distance before I realised :egypdance:
 
Maybe the constant up and down is aggravating my knee!
That would definitely cause increased pain. Taking care of yourself and your pets is just like taking PT! As your new knee gets stronger your old knee should get better. My old one showed itself after my tkr and then again after I broke my bones and was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. Since this was my new knee foot/ankle my old knee was really put to the test and it didn't like it one bit. After my right leg was able to take over some of the work again, the old knee got better. I hope yours does, too.
 
@sistersinhim You have been through the mill! Thank you for the glimmer of hope regarding my left knee. I can see how a good strong knee is beneficial in holding up the weaker one. I would be blessed to have it hold out another year but I'll deal with it as and when it decides enough is enough!
 
Well 15 wks tomorrow! The tight band feeling has nearly gone but there is some tightness just over the top of my knee. Some achy pains today but we have rain and every arthritic bone is feeling it!
I had a rotator cuff injury to both shoulders over 2 years ago (no surgery)...they were better but I think both are playing up now with the constant up and down with the dog plus carrying bags of heavy shopping this week! Normally I would leave it to my husband or grandson to carry things from the car but neither were available and the temp was 99 degrees. The knee held up though - one good joint!!!!:heehee:
 
Yay for the knee!
 
Is it just me or has anybody else had a major change in their sleep pattern nearly 4 months into recovery. I could understand it in the early weeks but now? Prior to the surgery I could nap in the day and still be ready for bed by 10 and sleep well all night. Now I don't nap and usually get to bed around midnight or later. Very strange..I was never a night owl type!:bored:
 
16 weeks tomorrow and I'm back to icing at every opportunity. I've had a burning and stinging sensation around the scar for the past 3 days and there's soreness to the left and above my kneecap. A little concerned that this is happening?:shrug:
 
13 weeks post and I feel the numb area has got bigger rather than smaller. How could that be? Might have been overdoing so trying to pull back, ice and elevate. Keep telling myself I'm 1/4 of the way through recovery but this set back is unexpected. Has anyone else experienced their numb area enlarging? :beg:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom