TKR Glosnana's Recovery

Actually, sleeping is very good for your healing. When you're asleep your body can concentrate almost all its energy on healing that knee. Sleep whenever and wherever you can. All sleep is good and you're not being lazy, you're working at healing yourself!
I sleep like a new born
 
@Josephine - you mentioned in a post somewhere(!) that the 6th week brings with it its own issues. Anything in particular?
I'm 6 weeks today and getting pains everywhere but my knee - a couple of zingers but nothing fierce! I have arthritis all over I'm sure but today is the first time I've noticed substantial pain elsewhere since the TKR.

Went for my 6 week check in with OS this morning. Xrays were good and I definitely feel less constriction around my knee. My flexion is around 90-95 and. I know it will increase. I'm so disappointed that my OS stated that I need to work hard at my flexion with physio during the next 6 weeks otherwise my flexion won't improve after that. He is a younger surgeon so I thought he'd have a different outlook on aggressive physio.:shrug:
 
There is no “window of opportunity” and I am proof. My ROM has continued to improve 2 years after my surgery. I don’t know why surgeon’s believe what yours does.

You don’t need anything aggressive. Been there, done that, and I will never allow that again.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Josephine, you mentioned in a post somewhere(!) that the 6th week brings with it its own issues. Anything in particular?
Mostly just a peak in pain and swelling.
I'm so disappointed that my OS stated that I need to work hard at my flexion with physio during the next 6 weeks otherwise my flexion won't improve after that.
Well he's wrong! I concur with Jockette. There are many members on this forum who did their recovery with no exercises (or PT) whatsoever and they came through with excellent recoveries. I know because I was one of them. And I did it twice! It's my belief that all this exercising is as outmoded as using leeches!

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
7 weeks post op yesterday and I thought I was back to week 2/3. Lethargy, swelling, some pain and I knew I had overdone things. Driving an hour both Friday and Saturday, my first flight of stairs since surgery, some food shopping both days and the stress of reconnecting with clients after being away! After icing and resting, today is a whole new world. I took my grandson out for lunch, a 7 mins drive away and a gentle walk around Target and the toy aisle! Now safely back in my nest and a reread of the activities schedule for this stage of recovery!
 
Glad I read this thread. Had left tkr on 3/24 and , though my knee is painful, I have 135 rom and 3% extension. Hardly need a cane but the fatigue and feeling cold and sickly... I wasn’t prepRed for. I get wiped from a littl3 bit of activity. Thought there was more wrong with me than just the knee but it seems a lot of others have these experiences.
 
@Hshdobb
Definitely struggling with energy levels after 2 p.m! Afternoon naps are a way of life! I am so glad to have found this site - as you say it's good to know that others share similar experiences. I can't imagine having all these oddities happening and wondering if they were normal without the support of those who know!
 
Driving is definitely impacting my recovery! Just returned home after driving an hour in total and sat for an hour in a diner (leg down) and now barely able to move my knee! I just cannot see a way around it and tomorrow the same except I will be able to elevate my leg between drives. I think I tense up as well as the traffic is so bad (I live near the most congested city - Austin!) and this obviously contributes to the discomfort.
 
Left TKR on April 24th for me. I hear you. I get tired pretty quick. I think the pain steals your energy. I ,also, have bouts of the chills where I feel sickly.
 
I'm fortunate that my pain is now minimal but swelling and warmth are a constant and my knee certainly tells me when enough is enough! I get cold easier and don't feel ' right' but I think that's part of the trauma of surgery. Each day is a little easier and although my non surgical knee reminds me of the bone on bone pain, it's wonderful that it's only one leg now, not both!!
 
Believe me lack of energy comes with the operation. It hangs on awhile also , so don’t get discouraged. I know at 10 weeks with my first knee , I was wiped out trying to play Pickleball. Knee held up but exhausted me. Somewhere between 3 and 4 months I got most of energy back. Some get it back quicker, but point is it’s perfectly normal so don’t fret too much
 
Just returned home after driving an hour in total and sat for an hour in a diner (leg down) and now barely able to move my knee! I just cannot see a way around it and tomorrow the same except I will be able to elevate my leg between drives. I think I tense up as well as the traffic is so bad (I live near the most congested city - Austin!) and this obviously contributes to the discomfort.
Can you prop your leg up at the diner? Even if a chair isn't available, you can prop up a little bit with your foot and leg on your cane. Also, you can take ice packs to help on those long commutes in that awful traffic. I bought a case of the chemical ice packs that you just shake and squeeze to activate them. they work great even though not for long. Amazon has them. Ice packs definitely help.
 
8 weeks yesterday. I'm being patient with my ROM - I don't think there's been much improvement but I can drive, do stairs, sit, sleep without pain so small, but important, progress I think. Energy still not good in the morning but improves around lunchtime!!
My other knee is definitely making a protest but I really need to pacify it for a while longer as I want to do a transatlantic flight in October.
 
8 weeks tomorrow for me. One trick I found when I went to a daylong outdoor concert with friends.. I bought a small dry ice nearby and put in a small cooler on top of two ice gel packs. It keeps them frozen for about 24 hours. Rotated them thru the day. It sure helped.When you mention the flight in October, I went to a broadway play last week and couldn’t stay in the seat for 15 minutes. Fortunately ,we had (normally crummy) balcony seats. I was able to move to an aisle seat so I could stretch my operative leg. Couldn’t have stayed otherwise...and those tix are expensive. I would make sure you get a seat next to aisle where you can move your operative leg.
 
Like the dry ice suggestion - thanks!
I went to the UK for Christmas and the flight prompted my TKR as it became increasingly difficult to walk after being squashed in a seat for 10 hours! I am concerned about my other leg but hope it holds up ...literally! If I do go in October it is with the intention to return to live in the UK permanently and have my left TKR there. That will be an interesting comparison! Either in recovery or waiting for the next surgery, these knees need our full attention!
 
I have heard it takes longer to schedule it in the U.K. But you would know that. Health insurance considerations too....U.K. Ves U. S.
 
So this is where smugness lands you! I haven't had any pain to speak of for a couple of weeks and thought I was on a smoothish path - haha!
After an extremely stressful day yesterday, sat in the vets, and then emergency hospital for my little dog -about 5 hours in total - I have the worst over the kneecap pain and swelling! My dog has been diagnosed with an auto immune disease and is still in as she might need a transfusion.
Thank goodness I have 4 oxycodone left as I needed one today. I'm sure stress is a big contributor to this bump in the road.
 
After an extremely stressful day yesterday, sat in the vets, and then emergency hospital for my little dog -about 5 hours in total - I have the worst over the kneecap pain and swelling! My dog has been diagnosed with an auto immune disease and is still in as she might need a transfusion.
Oh No! I'm so sorry to hear about your fur-baby. I hope the prognosis is good with treatment. I'm always a basket case when one of my pets is unwell.
 
Left TKR on April 24th for me. I hear you. I get tired pretty quick. I think the pain steals your energy. I ,also, have bouts of the chills where I feel sickly.
We are about the same time for surgery, I still have energy drain, and I’m still taking a 2-3 hour nap at least 5 days a week. When my pain levels start to rise, I start to shake like I’m chilled. Keep fighting the good fight
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom