TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

PT today and graduated from home health. Flexion 122! Going to try outpatient PT next week but not sure if I will continue on with it. Can take steps one at a time like a grown up, in and out of tub without help, stand for a shower. Just need to build up stamina and wait patiently for swelling to stop. Cooking a simple dinner tonight!
 
Fantastic!!! You are doing so well. I could not be happier for you! Simple suppers sound delightful! We are having baked potatoes for dinner - how simple is that? :tada:
 
Congratulations! That's a great number for about 5 weeks out, not to mention your every day abilities. Those are even more important than the numbers.
 
I'm very impressed !!! I'm glad you're doing so well. The most flexion I ever got to was 120. Simple dinners are great. I'm glad you're able to eat again. The enteric coated aspirins did a number on my stomach too. I've learned so much more being a patient that I've now added to my nursing practice.
 
Well you probably know with fibro @Glamg1979 your energy stores are somewhat iffy anyway. The surgery does knock the stuffing out of you for a while.
 
One step forward, two steps back. The swelling is so uncomfortable! Have a few good days and then.... Wham, pain and swelling. Very frustrating.
Rant over.
 
Rant away, my friend. Early days yet for you. It gets better! Knowing that doesn't make the journey any more fun, I'm afraid. Our knees seem like tired toddlers some days. But they will grow up to be our staunchest supporters!
 
Do all the ranting you need to do. Just remember you're still moving forward even with the stops and turns along the route.
 
@Glamg1979, you are doing so well. I know it is frustrating. I have had more " moments" than I care to admit. You should be so happy with 120. I don't know if I will ever reach 120. I am looking for function whatever that might be. I was just saying to my husband how sick I am of not being "normal" I have been on the Joint replacement merry go round for 61/2 years!
 
I mean this as encouragement, not to discourage you.... At almost 5 mon, I still have days when my knee swells. Nothing like as big as it did at 6 wks, but enough that I take a break, ice and elevate. Baby steps. As long as at the end of the week you've moved forward, baby steps are fine! Total recovery takes at least one year. Period.
At the end of that year, you want to have improved your previous situation, no matter what that means for YOU. Rant all you need to.... We're all here with you on this crazy journey and we all support you! BIG hug!
 
Thanks @webbie73 and @Thesoutherncook. You weren't discouraging at all. It helps to yank me back into reality and realize I am still very early in the recovery process. :umm:
My flexion and progress were quick to come in the beginning so now it feels as if I have plateaued. Learning patience again!
 
Hey there Glamg1979! checking in with you. And we are still very early in the recovery
process. Each of us is very different but for the most part those stages of recovery
that Josephine lists covers the recovery timeline. The hardest for me to remember
is that with these good days there will come days when this knee just says No.
I have those plateaus also, so lets keep hold of those mantras and that sometimes
elusive patience.
 
Hi @Glamg1979 you are doing great I hear you on the roller coaster I wake up some mornings feeling great and get stuff done do my exercises and think great things are moving along nicely and then wham I wake up the next day and feel just lethargic sore and no energy to do anything. I really dont know what my range of motion is I know its improving and I guess i will get the figures tomorrow when I start outside pt. Will be interesting to see. I did manage a few revolutions on the bike this morning yay felt good but now here I am icing and resting again this afternoon. Sigh at least we are one day closer to complete recovery.
Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday. :flwrysmile:
 
Saw your post over at @Timetolive. I'm so sorry about the DH's job. I'm just amazed at how much the workplace has changed in the past 10 years. My daughter has been through the strangest ( to me) job interview processes, felt as though an offer was coming and been totally blindsided when it didn't. I add my prayers to others that he will find something better. Your daughter will need your support, too. I've been in her shoes. But, there are worse things than being alone. Be a good ear/shoulder for her and give her lots of love. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. She WILL survive. With children to care for, she has no options. :friends:
With all of this going on around you, please take care of yourself. We're all here for YOU!
 
I also saw your post. I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's lost of a job and your daughter's divorce. You have each other to hold on to to get through these tough times. I've been through divorce many years ago and had 3 young daughters to raise. My mom was the one person who I could always count on for help. I also wen through losing a job last year and then having to have my surgery on top of it. It will get better. I will keep you all in my prayers.
 
Hi all, yes I have been in her shoes too. I divorced when my kids were 20 months and 3. As we that have been through it know it is the hardest thing I had ever gone through in my life. Therefore as well as being heartbroken for her she has 100% support from me and her step dad ( we have been together 30 years). So there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel!
We are moving her and the children into a garage apartment we have behind our house. Small quarters but with Nonna and Pops just across the yard. Thanks for the support and kind words. I think it may be harder watching my daughter go through this than when I went through it myself.

Also KNEE related, does anyone find by bedtime it becomes harder to lift their leg and bend it? Can do leg lifts and ride recumbent bike during the day, but come bedtime the leg is lead. 7 weeks Wednesday!
 
By the end of my day I'm barely walking! Lots of swelling and stiffness. I think it just builds up during the day with everything we do including making dinner and cleaning up afterwards. Congrats on the 7 weeks.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom