TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

When does the fatigue end? I got up today and for the first time made my own breakfast. Coffee, sliced fruit and peanut butter. 30 minutes after I ate I fell asleep in the recliner. 3 weeks out today.
 
I'm not sure when the fatigue ends. I'm still try to find out!! Remember we lost blood, have to regrow bone, repair muscles and have some tendon ligament and soft tissue injuries. Three weeks isn't a very long time. It takes us a little longer to recover the older we get. Throw some narcotics or opiates on top of that. O and I forgot not able to get a good nights sleep consistently if at all!
 
@Glamg1979

We both had our TKR's on the same day so I have been following your thread religiously.

Your ROM of 110 is really great, I appear to be completely stuck at 90 and it's very frustrating, partly because I can't comfortably sit at a chair for any longer than 15 minutes. I agree that the fatigue is testing also. I am not a very good day time sleeper but have been doing so a lot over the last few days.
 
Don't compare yourself to @Glamg1979 , her knee is a real show off. I am 7 weeks out today and finally made it to 101 degrees yesterday. I was at 90 until almost six weeks. You are doing perfectly fine.

I am happy for you, Glamg1979! And a bit envious. But we will each get there in our own good time.
 
Hey are you saying my knee is a big ol' show off??? :loll:I will let that slide on behalf of my knee. I cannot believe how well my surgery and recovery has gone either! I attribute my success to my surgeon's technique. He is rated #1 of the states top 10 and is at Mayo Clinic. Very blessed to live 45 minutes from Mayo and my son is a medical rep so he took a poll from some of the OR staff and this Dr's name was the only one mentioned every single time.

To be honest I was really worried about how I would do with this surgery because of my fibromyalgia. I have chronic pain and fatigue and have taken narcotic pain med as needed for the past 6 years. I thought it would take me twice as long to recover than the average person. Realize I have been blessed :prayer:.
 
I'm very glad to hear that you are doing better than you expected to. :yes!::happydance:
 
I also feel better than I expected to feel. I am one week out yesterday and bar my husband landing in hospital I feel good not to much pain. Pain meds working and I agree with everyone else the fatigue is what really gets me after my husband came home last night I fell asleep at 9 woke up at 11.30pm took another pain pill and slept until next pill due at 3.30am. Oh well :sleeep::zzz::sleep:
Doing my own pt pushing myself a little each day will call pt today and find out what's going on.
Take care all of you:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
When does the fatigue end?

I agree with everyone else the fatigue is what really gets me
The fatigue is normal. It happens because most of your body's energy is being directed towards healing your knee and there isn't much energy left for anything else. It will decrease gradually, but it can linger for some time.

This article explains the fatigue: Energy drain for TKRs
 
Had a great day. Started with in home PT, then napped. Late afternoon went to the closing on a piece of property we sold, out to dinner and then onto son's house for the gender reveal of our 5th grandbaby. It's a boy!! Hubby had to drag me away from the celebration because he knew I would pay big time to the "overdid it club" if I partied any longer. Was having such a good time I didn't want to go home but am now glad he was looking out for me and insisted.

Decided to name my knees Thelma and Louise. Thelma is still waiting her turn but Louise is showing her how it's done. :heehee:
 
LOVE!!!! Congratulations on the grandson!!! What a blessing he will be to your family.

Thelma and Louise = a couple of strong women who know how to support each other!! PERFECT!! The farm I work at has a pair of goats named Thelma and Louise - I hope your pair doesn't get into as much mischief as the farm's couple does! :heehee:
 
Congrats on the upcoming grandson. Grandchildren are such a blessing.
 
At seven months I still feel as if the fatigue is there. But seriously, I had fatigue and brain fog to lessening degrees for a good three months. It gradually improved, but I had frequent back orders on Amazon for patience.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Does anyone else feel as if they are sleeping their life away? I have had just a handful of sleepless nights but I have had no trouble sleeping through the night and sometimes through to the afternoon. My husband has been wonderful and leaves me be. I am sleeping 10-12 hr stretches. I am thinking maybe the sleep is contributing to my so far successful recovery. But even with all the sleep the energy drain continues.
 
I bet your body is doing just exactly what it needs to do! While you are resting your body can concentrate on healing. Are you having pleasant dreams? :sleeep:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom