TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Unfortunately @newlybionic I am still paying for Thursdays PT session. Swelling down some but my gait had been affected. I had a normal gait before that session and now am stiff legged and uncomfortable. Ice and rest, have been very tired.
How are you doing?
 
I'm in a bit of a low but overall I'm doing ok. I'm so sorry you're still suffering from the after effects of that PT session. All I can suggest is what every one else has is to elevate it as much as possible and to keep ice on it almost constantly. This surgery really takes much more of a toll on us than I know I had even considered. Did they do any massaging of your knee? I had one decided he had to 'loosen my knee cap' and proceeded to push it side to side. It didn't hurt then but afterwards I really paid for it!
 
@newlybionic thanks, I am resting, icing and elevating. I am sorry you are having a down day, this is a difficult surgery and takes more from us than we thought possible. I am 2.5 weeks out and this has probably been my worst day since I have been home.
Last night my husband got concerned when he felt how warm my knee was, I had to calm him down that it wasn't painful but the warmth was from inflammation and it has been warm all along.
The mind takes over and we start thinking the worst is happening.
 
@Glamg1979 It is strange how our minds immediately think about the worse! You are really doing well even with this set back. It is hard to to just go through so much down time and the ups and downs of recovery. Most other types of surgeries just have a steady progression of healing and this one doesn't seem to fit that model. Do you have to go back to work in a set time or are you retired?
 
I have 2 hours of pt 3 times a week. At the end, they ice and elevate me for 10 minutes, then my husband and I stop at our VFW for a quick lunch. Then it's home for my afternoon nap. It's a nice routine.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
No date to return to work, thank goodness! I quit nursing years ago.

@BusterBeans! I was getting ready to post on your thread to see how you are doing!! Wow 2 hours of PT! How is it going?
 
I thought I'd jump over here to see how you're doing. I'm just keeping in my mind that 62 is early retirement age. I have 11.5 months that I have to survive!! Once again thanks for all your posts. It does help to have someone else understand what we are going through.
 
I won't even be 3 weeks out until Wednesday and find myself tired of constantly being aware of my knee. I am sleeping through the night and realize I am very lucky in that respect, but still have almost zero energy. Am sure my fibromyalgia is a contributing factor.
Knee not exactly painful but feels tight and like there is a band around it.
I hope you have had a restful weekend @newlybionic and ready for work. How many days do you work per week?
 
I have to work at least 32 hours a week. I'm not even sure what my schedule will be. I'll find out tomorrow.

I understand that tight band feeling and I used exactly the same wording describing it to a friend. The band will start to feel smaller and smaller. Right now I just feel like something has a grip on my kneecap. It's a very weird feeling.

The low energy seems to be something we all are dealing with. It's hard to feel this way.
 
Hello Glamg1979 and newlybionic, wanted to check in and read how you were doing.
That energy level is quite difficult to regain. Still struggling with it.
I find myself fearful any time there is new or different pain in or around this knee.
I continue to ice, elevate. and rest. Staying positive is difficult and
I agree with "that right now the knee is in charge", I try to remind myself that this
knee was also in charge before surgery and in a much more unforgiving way, now
my reminder is " its still in charge, but soon, I am trusting that it will relinquish
control back to me". Stay strong with the bigger picture of a pain free knee.
 
Hi Glamg! My pt IS long. I see the single TKRs come and go, and I'm still there. I think my pt is so long because I have to do the exercises for both of my knees, plus the stretches and exercises to recover from the IT band problem I've had (especially the left knee) and balance exercises since I didn't have the good leg to stand on. And my therapist adds things to respond to issues or concerns that I raise. In the beginning the knees were identical twins, but now they've taken on individual personalities.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Update.... PT overworked me last Thursday and the swelling was very uncomfortable and caused me to be stiff legged again. Since Thursday I did nothing but rest and ice, NO exercises!!
PT just left and my flexion was 110!! Last Thursday I was around 96 flexion. So that is another 14 degrees after 4 days of doing nothing!! Thinking this minimal PT idea is the way to go.
 
Hi @Glamg1979 looks like the pt really did a number on you. I am waiting for home pt to call me to start but am going to make myself very clear not to hurt me. Lying here and elevating and icing leg right now. It's definitely more swollen today and stiff. Hang in there i hope you have a good night tonight.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom