TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Don't worry about pain meds just yet. You'll gradually cut back when you need them less and less. I decided to embrace the fog and nap whenever possible. It was worth it for me to not be in pain.
 
@BusterBeans that is absolutely ridiculous :censored:! No excuse for what you are going through. Surgeon should be on call or another surgeon/PA to deal with after hour issues. Secretary should of notified whoever was on call that the dosage wasn't on script and the error needed to be corrected immediately. Cannot believe how callous the nurses and staff have been! Would be a much different story if it was one of them or a family member that was in pain!! I am incredulous you are being treated this way. I would be very vocal about this to your OS, he may not even be aware of how poorly his staff is handling this. Not sure what medication he prescribing but you could call the after hours service and they might be able to call in the Rx. Since the laws changed last year it may be the new medication requires a paper script and therefore Dr or nurse cannot call it in. If you are in misery could you go to an ER or a free standing clinic and they could give you something to get you thru the night.
I am so sorry you are going through this and a big stink needs to be made about it!! :tantrum2:
Sending gentle hugs your way :console2:
 
One week since RTK surgery and doing pretty good. Have been walking around with one crutch for balance but went out to the living room to ask husband a question and suddenly realized that I had walked out of there without any support!! Daughter came over to cook dinner for us today and I am officially spoiled rotten!!
PT earlier today and therapist said I wouldn't need but another few sessions and I would be finished....hooray!! Can't tell you my numbers for flexion and extension because therapist said it isn't all about the numbers and people get to hung up on them. Did I hit the jackpot or what?!!! Told me he would measure at the next visit or maybe next week.
My only complaint is not getting a good nights sleep, but that is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. So far so good.
Don't think I would be doing this well without all the info and support I have gotten from this forum. :thankyou:
 
Wow I'm impressed!! I was using a walker for 3 weeks!! I'm glad everything is going well for you. Your Thera post sounds wonderful. When I decide to have my other one done can you send him/her up north to PA for me? Or maybe I'll just move to Florida!! Sleeping is still a problem for me. If you looked through other threads it comes up over and over again. I've now been up since 630 am and my knee is achy. I don't feel it during the day because I'm thinking about everything else but at night there's nothing.
 
@Glamg1979 , you are doing so well! it is encouraging to read your thread. Monday is my date and my nerves are getting the best of me. Thank you for sharing your experience.
 
Good to see you doing so well! Keep up the good work. And you deserve to be spoiled rotten! This is your time.
 
@Timetolive I hear you, I was a wreck up until the day before my surgery and then there was a sense of peace and calm. The day of surgery the nurses and staff kept me busy and entertained, everyone was so sweet and chatty! The IV versed before they pushed me in to the OR was wonderful! They will probably give versed to you too but if they don't make sure you tell the nurse that you need something to calm you down.
It will be OK, you've got this!! :flwrysmile:
 
Today was one of those "rollercoaster" days of recovery. Tired all day, did nothing but rest, elevate and iced. Also needed pain medication throughout the day. PT yesterday was gentle but had added 2 new exercises and that caused some swelling. So today I did nothing other than iced and got up and down to the bathroom. By this evening the swelling was down. Hard to be patient with this recovery isn't it?
To pass the time and a good distraction I have been 'coloring' using adult coloring books and gel pens. And no when I say adult I do not mean x-rated, but very intricate patterns like Mandela's, decorative tile patterns, etc... I find it to be fun, relaxing, distracting and doesn't burn up too much brain power.
 
@Glamg1979 , I saw some of the adult coloring books and they are really intricate designs! I am glad you are feeling better after resting, elevating, and icing. I hope you have a peaceful night.
 
Wishing you a successful and pain-free surgery. Will check in with you regularly. Takes care.
 
Great sign of progress when you forget your crutch! Don't get overconfident though. ;) Even if you *can* walk without it, be kind to your knee and use it. Still :friends:
A day of icing and coloring sounds good. Those coloring books sound like just the thing for post surgery.
 
Glamg: did get hubby to drive back the next day for the revised paper scrip and finally got the fentanyl patch. It really does help with the pain I was getting from the IT bands and some shooting pain in my left knee. And I don't get the blues and cry anymore at night. I still feel a lot of discomfort so I'm not sleeping well but that goes for all of us.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, good. Glad the pain patch is helping. Sleep is hard, but it will come. I am five and a half weeks out now, and am sleeping pretty well, with the proper meds. :chillpill:
Just hang in there. It all gets better, I promise.
 
@kneeper don't worry even though I "forgot" my crutch I still used it for another day and now have switched to using my cane. Don't want to get overconfident and fall.

@BusterBeans so good to hear you have gotten relief!! Of course you would be blue and crying! That constant pain was the culprit and would do that to anyone.
I hear you about the no sleep. I just nap whenever I can.
 
Almost midnight and I am awake, leg elevated and ice packs on. Have been doing very well with my recovery...so far.
It will be 2 weeks on Wednesday and I have only needed one dose of pain med during the day and a dose of the long acting Oxycontin at night.
Tonight still awake and paying my first dues to the ODIC. Really uncomfortable.
Showered, blow dried hair and styled it whilst on my feet the entire time. Hubby also reminded me that I went all day without my cane :unsure:. Was expecting my therapist today but he rescheduled for Tuesday, I did my PT exercises on my own. So now I have learned that my knee is the boss of me :shrug: and it doesn't take much to tick it off! Today I will be doing nothing, the knee wins. Downloaded a new novel on my Kindle and will be parked in my recliner all day.
 
Oh my goodness! You joined pretty early! Read those mantras again, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down, especially when you're not even a month out! :swoon:
 
Oh I totally know what you mean- The first time I went around without the cane I paid dearly the next day. And then it happened again! I used to get extremely stiff from standing at the sink just long enough to apply my makeup, which is pretty minimal, but standing somewhere locked always gets to me. Consider sitting for those tasks- your shower chair can perform double-duty.

I think after you've rested up fully from this "bad day" you'll notice a slight gain somewhere, like in extension, flexion, or balance; at least that's how recovery progresses for me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom