TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

@Lili thanks for the warm wishes for a good recovery. I hope the same for you.
It is 02:30 and cannot sleep because of discomfort and pain meds not due for over an hour. Everything seems worse at night, especially pain :swoon:
First in home PT later this a.m., not too excited about it either :bored:
 
:snork: PT was good. I must of gotten a therapist that went to the Bonesmart school of rehab. Therapist stressed not to do much for the 1st three weeks of recovery, just a few heel slides, walk around the house when up to bathroom and maybe some ankle rotations and then you ice!! Never push myself if something hurts because that will undo my progress.
Her approach was very much welcome here!!
Dr. ordered home PT 3x/week for 5 weeks. Therefore I agreed to do just 2 per week and therapist was fine with that too.
Have been religiously taking my pain meds around the clock but had to back off some today because I was experiencing involuntary muscle/body jerking. Skipped a few doses and will resume meds tonight. OS was extremely generous with pain control, 10mg Oxycontin every 12 hrs with 10 mg oxycodone every three hours for breakthrough. Hospital staff just kept bringing it day and night so figured it was time for me to back off a little.
Leg is burning something fierce right now! :holysheep:
 
No it was my arms, hips, legs. Quick but annoying body jerk. One time might happen in hands, next time shoulder etc..
Stopped now.
 
I would get zingers in my knee, but I was well off narcotic pain meds. It was the nerves regenerating.
 
I'm very happy you have a good therapist!! I had home PT for 2 weeks 4 days a week!! Then I graduated to outpatient. Everyone just pushed me too much. Keep up the good work!! I read your post last nigh at 2:30. I was up with annoying achiness and stiffness. I hope we both sleep better tonight!
 
My meds were very similar. Instead of the 10 mg for break thru. He ordered 5 mg but I could have up to 3 pills. I never took more than 2 at a time. I also had the involuntary jerking. It is a weird sensation. I'm sure it is the oxi that was doing it. I am glad that is behind me.
 
Glamg: after debating with surgeon's post op nurses for a week about ineffective painkiller (Oxycodone), my surgeon's secretary called tonight to ask me to stop in tomorrow to pick up a scrip for some type of a 3-day pain patch. My pt explained that my IT band is causing most of my pain right now and showed me several stretches for the band and reminded me of exercises to strengthen quads and hamstrings so IT band doesn't take control like this. I also reviewed my med journal with my pharmacist who said I'm apparently one of those few people who doesn't get any relief from Oxy. Hopefully this will be my last night of only 3 hours of sleep. Hooray!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wish you didn't have to wait for the new pain medication because you need it now!! Can't believe it took a week to convince your Dr's office to prescribe you something different to try :hissy:. Having to convince a Dr that you really are hurting and need more/different meds is demoralizing, it shouldn't be that way.
I am sorry you have had to endure this and pray your new medication patch does the trick :chillpill:
 
I am doing OK @newlybionic, rough night but finally fell asleep. Had a great morning and early afternoon but fatigue and discomfort the rest of the day.
My son came over and visited for an hour and couldn't believe how tired I was from it.
Did one set of PT exercises and that was enough!!
Just using one crutch to get around!
Hope you are doing well!!
 
I'm m glad you finally fell asleep. I still get very tired and have a hard time falling asleep. I does seem that my stamina has slowly gotten better but I'm still not back to normal. Just do what you can and rest as much as you can. It does get better. Hopefully you don't see this until tomorrow morning (Wednesday). Lol
 
When we first started the ice packs he would place it on my knee and then press it downward to shape around the knee.
That's so funny (actually, not funny at all) - my husband did the same thing. Repeatedly. And I said "ow - please don't do that" each time. Finally, I told him he had to stop that and he looked so surprised. "I want the ice to be evenly distributed," he said. "And," I told him, "I want your help not to hurt!" :bignono: He finally got the message, but he had been so intent on doing a good job that he had not been able to hear me tell him what he was doing hurt! He did feel foolish afterwards and has been absolutely amazing in all other respects so that I kind of just filed away that screw-up, but you reminded me.

@Glamg1979 - so glad you can sleep on your side now, with the pillow in-between. I also sleep so much better that way. :yes!:
 
Hello Glamg1979. I had my revision on the 28th about the same time you had your
replacement. Its wonderful you have good care and are up on pain meds. My care team
was great. They were always asking about the pain level and never allowed it to become
bad. Home now and just smile and nod with the PTs instructions. I refuse to allow these
exercises to keep the pain levels higher than they need be. And that is thanks to this
forum and the Bonesmart mantras. Keep checking in.
 
Night time is the worst for pain! Almost had a good cry and a pity party last night.
Today is one week since the surgery and I hate how I have to keep taking the narcotics. Cutting back is not an option......yet. Have tried but it was h**l trying to catch up with the pain. @Devka56 I made a not so smart move last night and did my PT stretches and heel slides just before going to bed... duh..my muscles all up and down my leg were screaming at me. So another lesson learned....no PT just before bedtime.
Glad you are doing well and sticking to the BS way of doing things. Can't imagine the horror of going into this surgery w/o this group and the info learned here.
 
Please don't give up on your medications so soon if they help you. I learned that I had to do whatever I could to get rid of the pain in my knee. It does get better.
 
Glamg: will my pain med saga ever end? Or at least end before I no longer need pain meds? Hubby drove me to pick up my scrip at the surgeon's office, then to the pharmacist who said she was sorry but she couldn't fill it because the scrip didn't have the strength written on it. So I left a voice message for the surgeon's secretary who did call but asked what would the strength be written as -- mgs? I said I had no clue because I never had a pain patch before. She asked me if I would prefer her to MAIL IT TO ME or did I want to drive back the next day to pick it up? I said I would drive back and she said thank you and hung up. No apology. So hopefully Thursday evening I will have a pain med that works...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom