TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Glamg! Welcome to recovery. Sounds like you are doing swimmingly! Keep it up and you will be "running around" in no time.
 
Kudos to you! You have the right attitude. I'm just doing a few little stretches and bends, only when I feel like it, and things are coming along nicely. I was told here that the first weeks are for healing and resting only and it's working for me. I hope things continue to go smoothly for you, and if you feel discouraged, just let us know, and we will give you all the reassurance you need ❤️
 
Got home Friday evening at 6pm. Had a rough morning as the Miralax they had given me for the past 2 days started "working"! and boy did it do it's job. Five trips to the bathroom in 3 hours and I was wiped out. Couldn't do my afternoon PT that was scheduled for 1pm but they kindly waited until I felt better so it turned out to be a 4pm session and then I was discharged home. Drive home was miserable because the nursing tech let my leg drop with the foot holder of the wheelchair... Ouch!! She acted surprised and said that had never happened before...yeah right. Had a hard time getting settled in at home and I think my sweet hubby was overwhelmed by his nursing duties. He suffers from PTSD after being carjacked at gunpoint a couple years ago and has a hard time staying focused, poor thing was running every which way while trying to get me comfy. Made me realize how much the incident had changed him!
Not quite as comfortable as the previous 48 hours but with pain meds and ice I was at a tolerable pain level. Left hospital with flexion of 95, but PT guy tricked me and when I was hanging my legs off the side of the bed he took his foot and pushed mine further back until I was at 95 degrees. That hurt!! Leg now very swollen and painful. Means Saturday my PT will be my trips to the bathroom, elevating and icing. Poor knee needs TLC to recover from those insults.
 
Definitely give it some tlc. i don't know what they're thinking pushing like that --especially taking you unawares. :(
 
Left hospital with flexion of 95, but PT guy tricked me and when I was hanging my legs off the side of the bed he took his foot and pushed mine further back until I was at 95 degrees. That hurt!! Leg now very swollen and painful.
That was mean and most unprofessional of your PT. I'd consider it an assault and I think I would have reported it. What was he thinking?

However, it shouldn't have done any permanent harm and you're doing the right thing now, in giving your knee extra TLC, rest, ice and elevation.
 
Glad you're home and getting settled in for a successful recovery! I can empathize with you and your DH. Mine has ADD and it was an absolute hoot to watch him in the kitchen, but I was determined to just keep quiet and watch. I made sure I had juice or something in case his meal preparations took forever - which they did! Lol!
You're on the right road... The BS mantra... Keep it up!
 
@Thesoutherncook it is good to know someone understands dealing with the ADD!! I was feeling rough but was determined not to snap at him, he has been through so much and it bothers him he is 'not the same' anymore. He truly has been a very attentive nurse and is excellent at defrosting the meals I pre-made :snork:.
 
Smart girl! my husband also did an excellent job defrosting the meals i premade lol. When I had my first knee done. We ate a lot of take out and I really did not want to go that route again
 
I found that my DH loved the praise I lavished on him for even the smallest acts. He glowed and tried even harder! So much so that now he proclaims himself the "short order cook" of the house and cooks the eggs whenever we have them for breakfast! He even likes to clean the kitchen after supper admonishing me that I need to rest and he will clean up after me! This from the man who has done nothing in the kitchen more than
grilling for 17 yrs! :rotfl: So, you see, there is MUCH good to come from this! Praise and patience!! :)
 
LOL husbands love the praise! My hubby is not got with anything medical. When I was rushed to the ER I did not have my walker. After being there for 3 hours I had to go to the bathroom. Sweet hubby asked someone who was buzzing by if they could get me a walker.. Of course we never saw her against. He went to the nurses station an told them I needed a walker and got one. He was all proud. He said " now that's how to advocate for my patient"
 
OK now I understand the sleepless part. Not a good night. Not exactly in pain but just uncomfortable. How I wish I could just roll over and sleep on my side!! Maybe got in a total of 3 hrs sleep. Tackling first shower today so hoping it will relax
me enough to nap the day away!!
My skin is so tender around neck and shoulders, feels like it is sunburned. Thinking it may be due to using crutches and a fibromyalgia flare.
Here's to naps!!
 
Nap when you can. Your body needs sleep but its natural rhythms have been upset. Try not to stress about it; sleep will eventually come at night time. Until then, it is what it is. Try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your legs. You might find that to work. I think we do our bodies a disservice by expecting to go back to "normal" too soon after this surgery ( says she who was absolutely clueless until she found this forum!) One day at a time. Baby steps as long as they are going forward. :friends:
 
Welcome to "the other side" @Glamg1979! I had a similar experience with a "leg drop" in hospital, when a PT purposefully let go of my leg as I was trying to get out of the bed. I asked her to support my leg ( right one with new knee) as I got out if bed, and she looked at me and said "You're going to have to learn how to do this yourself" and let my leg drop about 1.5 feet from the floor. I screamed. It took me about 30 minutes to recover from the searing pain. Speaking of PTSD, I think I might have a touch because of that. To this day, with PT, I have major trust issues.
But enough about that. It sounds like your hubby is making a wonderful effort to protect you and care for you. I am very blessed in that area. I have been married for 36 years to my sweetheart and I have decided that he is a saint. I have been a difficult patient and his unwavering kind ess and patience have truly amazed me. He is in the restaurant biz and feeds me all too well!
I hope you are able to rest now that you are home. I honestly don't remember much about my first few days at home. I was deliriously tired and slept in between trips to the powder room and meals and PT (which I'm learning now probably set me back)
Heed the wonderful advice on this site and I wish you a healthy and happy recovery.
 
My husband and I were talking last night that this BTKR has really strengthened our marriage. I always knew he loved me but now he demonstrates it to me so many times every day. We used to go out with our friends constantly and felt somewhat uncomfortable if we weren't busy socially. Since my surgery we're very content to stay home together.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
We've been "retired" for 11 yrs ( of our 16 married! ) and together 24/7. Even at that, I was terrified that he would just expect me to be OVER this in a week. He's been a prince and taken care of me, too. There are many good things that come out of this experience. Including new Bonesmart friends! :loveshwr:
 
@Thesoutherncook I was able to turn on my side by putting a pillow between my legs and napped the day away! Feel so much better now. My husband is semi-retired and plans to go back to his part time job at the beginning of the year. We do get to spend a lot of time together and are each other's best friend.

@MimiMimi thanks for the warm welcome, nice to virtually meet you! Don't
think I will ever forget that searing pain when leg was dropped, just awful. Home PT called to set up appointment for Monday morning and I made sure she knew no rough stuff, just won't stand for it.

@BusterBeans I am glad to hear you are getting good care. This surgery/recovery is not for wimps and with you doing bilateral I am sure your husband has been in awe of you. My hubby is finally finding his flow and his nursing care has improved greatly!! When we first started the ice packs he would place it on my knee and then press it downward to shape around the knee. I'm sure you know that was a bad move and after a few times swatting him off (lovingly of course) he knows to steer clear of my knee and let's me place the ice. We are blessed to have help from our guys ❤
 
HI @Glamg1979 , I just want to wish you a speedy recovery. I think all of us have so much better recoveries because of this forum and all our great friends that share all their experiences and is great being able to help each other! I wish you the best . :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
We should be treated like Queen Bees during our recovery! I have learned a lot though this about how NOT to treat people who are suffering. I'm going to try and get some sleep. I hope you rest easy.
 
Back
Top Bottom