TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Some good suggestions, thanks! I really need some anti fatigue mats in the kitchen!! Unpacked a few boxes today and found my ugly crocs, wearing them seems to help some.
Was a little better today but left knee is getting worse. Funny that I actually had to stop and balance on post op knee to realize it was pain free. Left knee bad but for some reason I cannot differentiate between the two, just feels like both legs hurt until I balance on the R knee and it does not produce any pain.
Has anyone else experienced this when still needing 2nd knee done?
 
Hey! Just catching up tonight. Congrats on the move! Take it one day at the time. You are lucky to be able to leave non essentials at the old house! Are you wearing shoes?? Maybe time to invest in new sneakers with good support and lots of padding?? Enjoy that jaccuzzi! Will be checking on you for #2. You'll be the expert on that one! Love, hugs and prayers!
 
...Was a little better today but left knee is getting worse....Has anyone else experienced this when still needing 2nd knee done?
Yes! When I was between TKR's my RN friend (both knees replaced) alerted me that my first TKR knee would become my "good knee" as my other knee gradually failed. I didn't believe her at the time, but she was absolutely right!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced that same thing, my right knee is now my good one, even though it's still healing, and I'm still learning to trust it. I had to get new shoes, as Helen, @Thesoutherncook, suggested. I got a pair of Brooks crosstrainers, it's made a huge difference. I see that you're having the left one replaced on March 29th. I'll be right behind you on April 20th. Congrats on the move!
 
Now at 16 weeks. Life still continues to revolve around my new knee. My sleep (as usual) is fine. Still experiencing some swelling at the end of the day.
When I wake up some mornings my leg with new knee is achey but works out within minutes of getting up.
ROM good but when I flex leg as far as possible it is still tight and knee cap hurts, is this normal?
So I am always aware of new knee, auxiliary muscles ache at end of day with swelling. Guess this is all to be expected.

Yup @swmrgirl you won't be far behind me with second knee. Funny how I went through it with an uneventful recovery but am dreading the 2nd one just as much!
 
It's still a big surgery, and knowing what's ahead doesn't make it much easier. Although, now I know the things I wouldn't do, like spending time worrying about ROM. Won't it be great to have two functioning knees?

I still have some of the same symptoms you do, but both my PT and OS assure me this is normal, and that it will take about a year for those things to resolve.
 
Good to know our recovery's are about right on track @swmrgirl . Two strong knees will be so great! Granted the healing is painful but there is at least an end to it!! Here's to the 2nd timers club!!
 
I don't think know if I fall into the 2nd timers club but I'll be coming along with you too. I'll find out on the 24th when I can have my surgery done. We will all be going through it together and we will all be fine.
 
Hi @newlybionic! Jacuzzi is very relaxing but scary!! Our previous place had a dinky little tub so I always showered. Forgot how much you use your legs (and knees) to get in and out of a deep tub. Took me and my husband a few minutes to figure out how to get me out. I was afraid I would slip and fall on either the new knee or crappy arthritic knee. We are going to install some grab bars to help. Was kind of disappointing not being able to maneuver like I used too.
 
Isn't it wonderful you have a husband that will help you out of the tub?? The things our spouses do for us! Hahahaha! Knee replacement sure does show us how special they are. I would LOVE to get in a jacuzzi tub right now. I am glad your daughter is there to help you out. She likes to clean??? Send her over! My daughter has been a big help also - she loves to cook. She lives about 5 minutes away. I bet your little grands can be helpful also. I understand how costly it would be for your daughter to work. It is good her ex is still helping out. God bless you for being the mother you are.

Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours.
 
GlamG: my earlier response is still in cyberspace so I'll repeat. I can vouch for the anti-fatigue mats. I bought one for when I was still working and had to do stand-up training and one for at home for in the kitchen. They were worth every penny and mine have lasted for 8 years so far and look great still.

Envy you for the jacuzz! The condos here have a hot tub by the pool and I must look like I'm 90 the way I step so slowly down and hang on so tightly to the railing. My daughter-in-law made me bath salts. She is so sweet but I haven't been brave enough to try to get into a tub for years.

Please write more when you have time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
How has the unpacking been going? Are the grands and your daughter settled in now? I bet you have a very busy household with everyone there. I'm going to my OS Wednesday and I hope to book my surgery as soon as possible. Maybe we might wind up to be knee buddies!
 
Glad I'm not the only one having bathtub issues. A nice warm bath would feel so good on all these sore muscles, but I'm scared to try it yet. Actually got in dry tub while dressed to see how it would feel to try and sit down. Well, I chickened out & decided to stick with showers for now. The thought of making a hard landing and making my leg slip out from under me is not something I want to risk. Also, it would be difficult getting out, even with hubby's help. Maybe I'll try getting up & down off the floor first, one step at s time. Who ever thought these things would be such an issue, right ?
 
Also, it would be difficult getting out, even with hubby's help. Maybe I'll try getting up & down off the floor first, one step at s time. Who ever thought these things would be such an issue, right ?
I get up out of the bath in the same way a I get up off the floor, so it's a good idea to start by practicing getting up off the floor first. I, too am a bit afraid of my foot slipping if I get up sitting forwards, so I turn over onto my tummy. then I push up with my arms and gradually walk my feet forward, until i can stand up. It's not elegant - sometimes I think I must look like an elephant - but it works for me.
 
@Celle that is quite a picture you paint getting out of the tub. But guess what.....that is exactly how I ended up getting out of the tub too!! What happened to my dignity?
@karol723 that was my extreme fear too that the leg would slip or I would fall on it and preform an MUA without anesthesia!
@newlybionic daughter and kids have been moved in for a week now. The kids have brought life into our house but there are times my husband and I are stressed getting used to little ones again. We have "escaped" a time or two to get some quiet!
My daughter is a little more lax in her discipline than I was but we are addressing those issues and they are resolving. Nothing better than a cuddle from a 2 and 4 year old!!

My fibromyalgia has flared and I haven't been this bad in years. The fatigue has been mind numbing and the pain has brought me to tears several times and I didn't even cry once when recovering from the TKR!! I am assuming this flare has been brought on by daughter's divorce, moving and adjusting to a full house again. I see my GP on the 5th and will ask for thyroid levels to be checked because it may be time to up my dosage of my thyroid supplement again. Have had to do this every few years.
If I continue to feel this bad I will most likely postpone my 2nd surgery.
Oh and there is this little issue of anger that my new knee is doing really great but the fibromyalgia has knocked me down so I have absolutely no energy to go back to the activities that I had to give up due to knee pain.
 
I am sorry about the fibro flare. I truly understand the feeling that something else knocks you down when the knee seems to get better. I send you virtual hugs. You are in my thoughts and prayers for a peaceful night my friend.
 
Doesn't it just feel like enough, already! I hope life calms down for you and things get better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry about the flare up. You and the body have been through so much the last few months. Hopefully things will settle down soon.
 
So sorry to hear about your flare up. Hopefully as everyone gets settled some of the stress will decrease. I hope your pain starts to fade away. :friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom