TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Absolutely will have a moving company, but we will pack up our valuables, fragile stuff, personal items etc....
Husband is packing as I type, he is giving me a pass so I can rest my legs. He is such a sweetie ❤ Funny though he doesn't want me "supervising" :heehee:
 
Gee, got a new symptom last night. Sat straight up and yelped because of cramps in my calf. Scared hubby but I couldn't help it.
Would heat be good for this? I was very active the previous week so I am assuming that was the culprit. Will be 10 weeks this Wednesday and last Friday I kept my 2 and 4 year old grand babies and I was constantly up and down and moving. Took all weekend to recover
 
I always had a lot of cramping in my calf. There are several stretches I would do to try to get rid of them. I used to put ice on it. I scared my dogs one night when I yelped in pain. My recliner(aka my bed!) has a motor that lifts just the legs but it didn't seem to go down fast enough for me. :doggie::dogwalk::dogsniff:
 
I've had a problem with charley horses for the last few years. If it is that type pain try some tonic water. I have a glass of tonic water and cranberry juice every day and it works for me. Something to do with the quinine in it. When is the big move?
 
@Glamg1979 you and I are one day apart in our recovery. I was wondering what your range of motion is and your flexion? The last time I was measured I was at approximately 107 and +7. My knee continues to be somewhat swollen and it seems it is impeding my recovery. Good luck in your move but it sounds like a win-win for your family.
 
Hi @Naomi60 , my flexion at 8 weeks was 114 and extension close to 0. Now my flexion first thing in the morning is at 120, but after doing the heel slides the knee almost immediately swells and I can't bend it like that the rest of the day. I find the swelling quite aggravating and am impatient for it to go away.
Flexion 3 days post op was 95 degrees so I feel like I had a head start.
My husband has been great about doing the packing! We are very excited.
 
Hooray for a husband that packs!! :loveshwr: Your ROM is really very good. I only got to 110 and then I've been going backwards!
 
So happy for you to be moving into a single story house and to have the support and company of your daughter and grandchildren! Don't envy your packing. It's about this cool and rainy Florida weather? El Niño should go back where he came from cause my knees hurt worse here than they did in Pennsylvania.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans I know! This damp cold weather is killing me too! Think things are supposed to improve next week. I guess we can blame el Nino but I thought you brought it with you from Pennsylvania! ❤
Looks like our move on date is February 4th!!
 
Hey leave us PA people alone. It was almost 60 here and sunny over the weekend. Today it's in the 20s with snow squalls, high winds and possible lightning tonight! We did have our first dusting of snow.
 
Uh-oh.....sorry about that! You were actually warmer than us today. We are getting a freeze tonight.
 
That was over the weekend. Right now it's 23 and very windy with snow. Wind chills are probably single digits and possibly lower. I could take a freeze better than this. Maybe I should move south!
 
Does anyone know why it hurts when we lie down? I can be fine all day but as soon as I get in bed my leg aches and I have to take Tylenol and once in a while Norco.
 
I can't answer that one but I still can't get comfortable in my bed. I've tried everything I can think of short of standing on my head.:spin: Maybe it might be because your leg is no longer truly elevated or that you're on your side in bed when you aren't all day. I've been trying to figure out this mystery for 6 months now.
 
3am and still no sleep, legs are killing me!! Actually I am comfortable when sitting in my recliner. Hate the thought of having to sleep there but it might happen on nights like this.
OS before even discussing the surgery first made sure I realized that patients with fibromyalgia are usually 30% less satisfied with their total knee. I told him yes I had researched that but in my head I desperately wanted to believe that with the realignment of the anatomy my muscles, ligaments and tendons would stop hurting. Now I understand what he was trying to tell me. Bone on bone pain gone, knee is strong and stable but the fibromyalgia has persisted, meaning my muscle and connective tissues are still causing pain and burning. Thinking the surgery has caused a flare :boohoo:
Now my delusional thinking makes me hope that maybe with 2nd knee done I will no longer have crooked legs and the soft tissue pain will stop. Hopeful or delusional? :bricks: We all need hope, so hope is good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also from PA over here...... :wave:. I have been so thankful this winter hasn't been bad with the weather. Didn't have to worry about slipping and sliding to hurt my new knee. The little bit of snow we've had is a piece of cake. Keeping my fingers crossed it doens't get too bad the rest of the winter.
 
I'm so sorry you are have fibromyalgia pain. I've known people with it and I empathize with you. Hopefully it will lessen as you continue to recover. Have you found any medication that has helped you at all?
 
Now my flexion first thing in the morning is at 120, but after doing the heel slides the knee almost immediately swells and I can't bend it like that the rest of the day. I find the swelling quite aggravating and am impatient for it to go away.
With that flexion, I don't think you need to keep doing the heel slides. They shouldn't hurt, but obviously something you're doing is upsetting your knee.
If you want to keep doing them, there are various alternative ways. One of those might suit your knee better. Have you looked at this article? Heel slides and how to do them

I didn't do heel slides as such, but occasionally I would try to tuck my foot under the chair as I was sitting at the computer. As I healed and the swelling subsided, I was gradually able to pull my foot further and further back.
 
I didn't do heel slides as such, but occasionally I would try to tuck my foot under the chair as I was sitting at the computer. As I healed and the swelling subsided, I was gradually able to pull my foot further and further back.
I did much the same. I sat in an office chair and would roll it gently back and forth while I was working at the computer or grading papers---I would take it to the point of discomfort and no further---this seemed to work and helped a great deal.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom