TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@Kansas Teacher if you try the melatonin let me know how it works. I do take one tylenol pm every night to help me sleep through the night. It also helps with aches and pains as I start to drift off. That's the only thing I still take for pain now, unless I have a headache.
 
It does sound like a blood clot was what happened to your coworker. I'm so sorry to hear that. Even though remote, it always is a possibility with surgery.

Tomorrow: marathon drive to the the OS for my 6-week check-up!

Too bad I didn't see this and know you were headed to KCOI on Tuesday. I was there myself at Dickson-Diveley getting my left shoulder checked out. We could have met in person! Glad your appointment went well, though.
 
I hope the melatonin works for you---nothing worked for me until I gave in and followed my OS's advice---Ambien for ten nights.

I tried melatonin, Benadryl, Tylenol PM, etc---nothing seemed to work.
 
Ahhhh....I was 9:00...too early. I was seeing Dr. Lowery Jones this time for a bum shoulder. Too bad we passed like ships in the night........maybe next time!
 
Well, you may all be surprised to hear this but my husband and I are in Phoenix, AZ. We cleared it with my surgeon at my 6-week check-up and he said to go for it as long as we stop along the way and get out and walk every couple hours. So we left home on Friday and arrived here this afternoon stopping along the way at the Dalton Gang hideout (famous Kansas outlaws) in Mead, KS, Petrified Forest National Park and Meteor Crater in addition to stops for meals, fuel, restrooms, etc. I hooked up my trusty ice machine in the backseat and figured out a way to elevate and ice in the car so actually probably did more icing than I do at home. The change of scenery may help my sleeping too because I slept the best last night -- in a hotel room, mind you -- that I had slept since the surgery. Now that I am at my daughter's house, I can ice and elevate quite a bit since they both work, the 5-year-old goes to daycare and the baby has a nanny. I can just hang out in the guest suite and ice and elevate as much as I need to.

I noticed today that my knee is looking more "lumpy." At first, it alarmed me but then I realized that the reason is that the swelling is going down in some areas more than in others instead of being uniformly swollen as it has been. I see that as a good sign that the swelling is maybe starting to dissipate. I hope all of you are doing well.

Roxie
 
Roxie, that is awesome news! Sounds like you will be just as comfy as at home, and clearly overjoyed to spend time with the grandkids. Enjoy every second!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A change of scenery sounds very nice!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
It is wonderful to get away and spend time with those you love and miss. You'll actually think less about your knee, which can be a good thing. Enjoy!
 
Hope you have fun. Yes, those lumps are the shape of your knee. Who thought you'd ever see it again? My husband tells me how the reduction in swelling is coming along, and it's an interesting report once or twice a week.
 
Looks like we all went to KC, I was there also, but in the Olathe area.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kansas Teacher oh I am so glad you are on a little trip!!! And to spend time with those grandkids!!! I am so spoiled because mine lives about 5 miles away and I get to see him every few days..... I am glad you are doing well and got a chance to get out of town!!! So happy for you!!!
 
I forgot to mention that sleep is continuing to improve -- thank goodness. I think it was more a mental thing with me because I had gotten to the point where I just dreaded going to bed every night because I knew I was going to lie there awake, get frustrated and be exhausted the next morning. I just decided not to worry about it and assume it would all self-correct in time and, in the meantime, I would get enough sleep to survive and heal. Once I changed my thinking, it started to improve. I am still waking up some but can get right back to sleep. I also think the change of scenery by going out of town helped quite a bit.

Roxie
 
Good morning! I just had my third night in a row of better sleep and each night is an improvement from the night before. I am so relieved! ! Knee seems to be fine too and I am icing and elevating a lot at my daughter's home. That, along with my sweet grandsons, seems to be just what the doctor ordered.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for sleep! Hope mine is coming.

Glad the trip is going well. Makes me optimistic for my visit back to Chicago next month.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom