TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

When I bought my house the former owner had been handicapped, so there was a step in shower with a bench and high toilet. Made things much easier for me last year.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're pretty common, Roxie. @KarriB , I have a database for hotels when we travel. (Tapforms on IOS) One of the areas we assess is satisfaction with the toilet for my husband and for me (we have different preferences, his, ahem, are anatomy-based).

My PT has been fantastic. I've been very happy with them, and they appear to be a chain. Here's their main website if anyone is looking for a different PT outfit than they are using. They're called Select Physical Therapy.

I got the riser with handles from Amazon beforehand for the downstairs bathroom. It's the upstairs bathroom that needs something. My husband doesn't like it. (You can tell his knees are still going strong at 78. Lucky guy.)
 
Returning the thread to Roxie's regularly scheduled life. Where were we? Oh, yes! Camping with #1 AZ grandson.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Yes! We haven't told him yet because we don't want him bouncing off the walls so will wait until a day ahead or so. He'll think it's a pretty big deal to have an "overnight" away from Mom and Dad.

That sore area to the lower right of my incision (toward the inside of my knee) is still tender and hurting and a bit discolored. Like I've mentioned before, the OS told me at my 6-week check-up that that was the exact location of a major inner cut. I suspect because of that, that it must be soft tissue healing but does anyone have any idea how long it's going to take. I'm at 8 weeks today and would think it would be improving and hope nothing is wrong. The bulk of my swelling and some slight bruising is right there too. My worry wort self is rearing its ugly head again.

Roxie
 
That spot was soar for me all the way up until week 8. I kept massaging it because it was a bulged out lump.
It is flat now and doesn't hurt anymore.
 
Patience......patience.....eight weeks may seem like a lot to you, but it's not really in terms of this recovery. Most people really don't begin to feel normal until around 6 months and, of course, as you know....some healing can go on for a year or more!
 
I know, I know @Jamie and @wberry ! I just need a slap upside the head now and then, I guess! Mine sounds exactly like you described yours, WB -- a bulged out lump. I don't know whether to massage it or leave it alone because it's sore and I hit week 8 today so it better go away soon! I honestly think my swelling was so generalized up until a week ago or so that I didn't notice this specific swollen area as much but now that the rest of it has receded a bit, I do notice it and it's sore too!

Thank goodness I have the two cutest little grandsons around to distract me!

Roxie
 
I went out shopping with my daughter this morning who can shop like no other. We went to Target and I walked around an hour or so, then to Dick's Sporting Goods where I did the same thing. My knee didn't really hurt but the muscles around it and my quad did so I was glad when we finally came home. It was swollen too of course so I am currently icing.

It's going to take me awhile to completely build up my strength but am glad to at least be able to get out for a bit now plus spending time with my daughter is bonus!

Roxie
 
It's weird how the knee doesn't hurt but around the knee does. Mine doesn't hurt after alol this time, but the leg still gets tired after a while. Glad you got to shop with your daughter.
 
Hi Roxie,

If it makes you feel any better, I am 9 1/2 weeks post-op and the inside of my knee area is still very sensitive to the touch and still interferes with my sleep some nights. I think it sounds like it is normal and unfortunately another reminder of how long this recovery truly is.

I am so glad you are able to enjoy time with your family! Have fun!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Shopping with your daughter sounds great! It can be exhausting, for sure, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

I read your post while sitting on a bench at the mall. I learned quickly that I could make it from the car to the store, but needed a rest before making the walk back to the car.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
that it must be soft tissue healing but does anyone have any idea how long it's going to take.

Patience......patience.....eight weeks may seem like a lot to you, but it's not really in terms of this recovery. Most people really don't begin to feel normal until around 6 months and, of course, as you know....some healing can go on for a year or more!
JAamie is very, very correct---when you ask how long it takes---you have to remember that you are a unique person, and your recovery is unique, too. all of this will dissipate on your knee's schedule.

It took me eight months to get pretty darned close to normal---and you will arrive at your destination of being fully recovered!
 
Thanks all. I truly have decided to quit worrying about it -- today at least! This afternoon, we went over to my daughter and son-in-law's friends house to swim in their pool. They are actually out of town so we had it all to ourself and it felt so great on my knee. I know I'll undoubtedly feel it tomorrow so came home, took my Tylenol and am icing it. They are putting a pool in their own backyard later this year so maybe if I end up having to do my second knee anytime soon, I'll have a pool to come and rehab in eventually. That would be wonderful!

We'll be here with Desiree and family another week then will start heading home via cooler Colorado.

Roxie
 
Remember what Lady Macbeth said to her husband---

"Things without all remedy
Should be without regard: what's done, is done."


In other words, why worry about something that is out of your control?

( I always loved teaching Shakespeare---it has so much universal and timeless meaning...)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom