TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

I am so happy for you regarding your trip! Sounds like you are doing well. I bet the hot dry weather is helping too.
When I was there last month it poured rain the 1st day and beautiful the rest of the time, we missed the usual hot weather. Enjoy the visit!!!:cool:
 
No rain yet but plenty of heat. It has been a great visit so far.

Roxie
Cleveland was pretty much flooded out this morning. Interstates were at a stand-still. The farm at which I have a "part time job" has had me in cutting up downed trees and helping with the drainage in the fields.

When I get home, I am too tired to do much of anything.

We would give anything for some nice, hot, dry weather.
 
Another good night's sleep. My IT band still hurts now and then during the day but isn't hurting at night so must be improving. I still have a sore spot kind of on the lower inside of ny kneecap that actually still looks ever so slightly discolored/bruised. When I asked my OS about it, he said that was the exact area where a major inner cut was made so I assume it is soft tissue healing. That area still has swelling but it's starting to go down in other areas of my knee . I've had lots of time to ice and elevate at my daughter's home!
 
I noticed today that the swelling in my knee has receded enough that, instead of the skin being puffy, it now looks like elephant skin. Sigh. I have to wonder if it will ever shrink back to normal because it was chronically swollen so long pre-surgery. I may just be stuck with elephant skin on my new knee but it sure is better than pain.
 
Elephant skin isn't as obvious tonight so I guess it must be a bit more swollen this evening. I helped prepare dinner for my daughter and husband when they got home from work so was on my feet a little more, I guess. Hoping for another good night's sleep though!

Roxie
 
We found out that the military has a recreation facility in Flagstaff called Ft. Tuthill with cabins, a-frames, etc. to rent. We rented an a-frame for next Tuesday night and are going to take the 5-year-old over for the night. We'll probably take him to the Grand Canyon and see what else we can find to do with him. It will be a break from the summer heat in Phoenix.

Knee was a little sore last night. I had iced quite a bit through the day but had helped prepare dinner last night and walked around holding the baby a bit. He doesn't weigh much but it was more than I was used to. It mainly hurt on that inner side of my knee right where the OS said he made a major inner cut -- kind of a pulling feeling. I sure wish it would hurry up and heal and, yes, I learned my lesson about needing to sit down when I hold the baby! Lots of icing going on today!

Roxie
 
It doesn't take much weight to be too much. Slowly getting my strength back.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It's hard, isn't it, @PolarBear60 ? Do you still find that you have sore areas on your knee? You're a week and a half or so ahead of me so maybe mine will start to subside pretty soon.

Roxie
 
While reading the these threads. I am a bit over 3 almost 4 months and I get pain and soreness. And I swell if I'm on feet.
I was told it's where muscles that never worked have been cut and are mending. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
A tent? Really? You are much braver than me moi!

Glad you're having a great visit with those grand babies!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Roxie, my leg is a little stiff in the morning. I feel some tightness on the outside and around the top. Where my calf muscles and my hamstrings meet at the back of the knee, I have some soreness. I haven't been able to knock that out yet. None of that impedes me in any way; it's just mildly annoying. The real pain for me is where the front thigh muscles join at the top of the knee. When I stand from a seated position, two weeks ago and before, it was excruciating -- around a five on the pain scale. (In all seriousness, I told my husband a few weeks ago we needed to replace our upstairs toilet with a taller one -- he's blowing me off, and I'm mildly annoyed about that.)

I reached a point in PT where we were working on sit to stand. It improved somewhat -- pain reduced to about a 4. I discussed it specifically with my PT on Tuesday, and he gave me something to do -- basically hang off the sink and slowly bend as far as I could leaning backwards, then use my arms to pull myself up. I did three sets of ten.

I noticed today, that the sharp pain in the center of my knee was almost gone but the sharp pain is now on either side of that place. My PT says that's good -- the center muscle is getting stronger, and we're going to work on the the others.

As we keep working through this physical therapy, we discuss the latest concerns and address them. He's also working with me on my right knee to get it into as good a shape as possible in preparation for replacement next year. Sadly, while my left knee is feeling better and better, my right knee is feeling worse (but I expect that). While my left knee has a lot of healing to go, I firmly believe my right knee is my limiting factor now.

I think I have six sessions to go. He's going to give me some exercises I can do after my carpal tunnel release, too.
 
@PolarBear60

I also have pain when I go from a sitting to a standing position, mostly in the center part of my knee, like you reported. Your PT sounds wonderful. I am going to ask my PT tomorrow about the exercises you mentioned. I also notice my right knee, which had not bothered me too much is having more pain since it is being used so much to support the left knee. I have not been using the toilet in my master bedroom because it is low. I am using the hallway toilet because it is taller and I can grab onto the vanity when I get up and it makes a big difference! (I actually broke the toilet paper holder in my master bathroom about a month ago trying to lean on it for support to get back up off my low toilet one day.)
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom