Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@Bilbo you made me laugh out loud - I really needed that - especially the flop like a fish - LOLOL...... I need a cheerleader like you when it is my turn - 1 month to go!!! I have more stuff in my house - I prob should start allowing others to come recover here - :rofsign::rofsign: @Kansas Teacher I hope you have another good night tonight..... patience is going to be the worst of the worst for me because anyone who knows me knows I am the most impatient person around - so maybe this will be good for me...... Have a wonderful night!!
 
Thanks @iivesfam5 ! I look forward to cheering you up when it's your turn! I'm hoping for a good night's sleep too. Tomorrow: marathon drive to the the OS for my 6-week check-up!

Roxie
 
I'm hoooome! It was a good trip and I was actually able to sit in the front seat with my husband all the way to KC and back without hurting. I'm a bit swollen but am elevating and icing now.

My appointment went well. They did three x-rays and they all showed the implant perfectly placed and doing what it needs to be. I asked about the IT band pain and he pulled up my old pre-surgery x-rays and showed me where it was and how it had been pulled over at an odd angle due to my lack of cartilage in the knee. Then he showed me how on the new x-ray, it was right where it was supposed to be. But, he said it had actually been stretched in the abnormal position it was in pre-surgery and would take awhile to settle back down in a normal position. He said it generally does on its own but, if it didn't, he'd send me to PT for it down the road. But we're just going to give it a bit more time because it has seemed somewhat better recently. I also asked him about the sore area that would generally be located where my meniscus would have been. I was surprised when he told me that the cut on the inside is actually right where I was pointing -- off to the side of where the actual incision is at. Who knew? Not me, anyway! So, the fact that the area in question is still a bit discolored and sore is no surprise at all -- it has a lot of healing to do on the inside according to my surgeon. He was very pleased with my flexion and extension and said I had no more need for PT at this time. He does do a 6-month check-up on all of his patients so I will see him again in early November then probably once a year according to what he told me earlier.

I was also saddened -- and reminded of how serious this surgery is -- today. A teacher I taught with who retired a bit before me had a knee replacement done yesterday and was sent home from the hospital today. He was having trouble breathing and, before they could get him help, died. While I was not present, it certainly sounds like a blood clot in his lungs. He has a little girl and I feel very bad for the family. Those of you yet to have surgery, just be very aware of the symptoms of a blood clot and seek help immediately if it does happen. I know it's rare, but it doesn't feel so rare when it happens to someone you know.

Thanks for cheering me on when I went to my appointment today!

Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A bittersweet day then, your good news, but a co-workers passing. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Happy you got some answers about the IT tightness though and your OS is pleased.
 
I'm happy for your good report and the great explanations you got for what's troubling you. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your co-worker. This is why I don't take the surgery lightly.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Glad you got a great report from your doctor, but very sad news about your co-worker.
 
What an emotional day for you. I'm so happy to hear about your great doctor report. Sounds like everything is going exactly as it should.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Life is so fragile.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kansas Teacher - I am very glad to hear you had a good appointment but to hear the news about your co-worker - GULP that is so scary and so sad. I am so sorry....... This is major surgery - no doubt about it...... and unfortunately, it is very serious....... I will say a prayer for him......
 
Sad to hear about your co worker, a blood clot to the lung is scary, his family is in my thoughts.
Glad you had a good report from the OS, and don't go back for 6 months.
 
Back
Top Bottom