TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Yay! Once you do it once and realize you can get back up it's definitely not as scary. I have a foot rest right near the wall I use for my exercise that I lean on to get back up.

Now go drive one of those electronic carts! (Take your cane with you in case the battery dies though like it did on me in the grocery store yesterday! Deserted it in the frozen foods and went ISO another one! )
 
You should see me trying to get up from the floor after I've been doing my pre-op exercises - I look like a dying fly! Well done on this small victory.
 
So last night was a rough night and I am feeling tired and just plain worn down today. I am still having trouble with the IT band pain and I woke up in pain from it after sleeping on my side. Then the ongoing area of pain I have on my medial side of my knee (kind of where my meniscus would be at) is still hurting when I flip over to the other side. So I tossed and turned and slept very little last night in spite of getting up and walking, taking more pain pills, etc. It may have been made worse by the rain that had just moved in.

In the middle of the night, all kinds of unpleasant thoughts enter your mind and I was sure something was very very wrong with my knee. Today I am thinking a bit more rationally. I have been doing more stairs lately and doing them normally. Maybe I just need to baby it for a while. I do see my OS next Tuesday for my 6-week check-up so will have a chance to ask him. It just seems like it should be getting better.

Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In the middle of the night, all kinds of unpleasant thoughts enter your mind and I was sure something is very very wrong with my knee. Today I am thinking a bit more rationally. I have been doing more stairs lately and doing them normally. Maybe I just need to baby it for a while. I do see my OS next Tuesday for my 6-week check-up so will have a chance to ask him. It just seems like it should be getting better.

Roxie

I think it's likely the increased activity. Forward and back. The story of recovery. ;)



Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Has your incision completely healed up? I know you are 5 days ahead of me. Still have a small spot at the top and two smaller spots that have not completely healed. My OS used glue and not staples. I would love to get in the pool. Hope you get some sleep today.
 
Did anyone share the Sarah wrap trick with you? Might help with your sleep, I know it helped me a lot


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Baby it today and over the weekend. Six weeks out means there's still soft tissue swelling and that knee is probably still telling you who's boss? Ice, elevate and rest. Hubby's coming back just in time to wait on you.
 
I think you're right, @kneeper . My husband was gone almost two weeks. When he left I was at 4 weeks and I remember thinking that by the time he got home, I would be leaps ahead. However, now he's home and I'm at 6 weeks and, today at least, still isn't a great day.

Roxie
 
Sorry to hear it's still a bad day. Here in PA it seems we got your weather, 90s, humid and now storms. Told @JennyLynne I'd bring her meatloaf (in my oven now) if we all lived close. Mestloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans with a bit of chocolate for dessert just might help.
 
I remember worrying about the different twangs and niggles going on and wondering if everything was ok with my right knee - at six weeks I was definitely still in the early days. I found things were very different at 8 weeks and at 12 weeks hugely better. However, it took much longer to feel the knee was more like 'normal'.
It just seems to take as long as it takes and patience is hard come by but so needed. I do hope you can ice, rest, heal - and be cosseted by your husband. Wish @KarriB was nearer!
 
I think that progress often comes in little leaps, but you so badly want to feel better each day. Sorry it's a tough one. Hope the company of your husband makes up for it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Have you scrolled back in your timeline to see how things were two weeks ago? You might be surprised.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Jean is absolutely right - if you read your own thread from the beginning you realise just how far you have come. With my RTKR three years ago I found that after about 4 weeks things wouldn't change much on a daily basis but then all of a sudden I'd realise I could do something I couldn't do the day before.
 
I call this "A Soul searching recovery". Not only is it physical, but very much mental. It is also very long:sad:. This recovery really gets in are heads. I think when sweetie gets home that will help. I know you've been doing things and have had company to keep you busy, but when you stop and think about it you really have had quite a bit of alone time. Right now that can be hard. When he gets there get a great big hug and maybe have few tears. Sometimes I think tears are good for the soul. Hope it gets better.:)
 
@Bilbo couldn't agree more. It's been a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual journey for me. The ups and downs are bound to happen. Hoping it's a better day, @Kansas Teacher !
 
Today was a better day. I think a lot of it is simple exhaustion because I still don't have the sleep issue figured out yet. It has been so nice having my husband home. We went out to a wedding followed by a reception tonight. I still find myself getting exhausted easily and was really tired when I got home but it was nice to be out and focused on something else too. If I can just start sleeping, I think I'll feel a lot better.

Roxie
 
Tiredness and a degree of exhaustion is par course. I had to work to build my stamina back also. Hang in there, your will get it back,


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a few good days and then feel exhausted for a day. But with my first TKR I was exhausted most of the time. From the surgery my hemoglobin had lowered to borderline ok and I didn't recover from it. About two months post op I decided to take iron tablets and two weeks later I felt much better. A month later I took them for another week and was good from then on. This time my hemoglobin didn't drop so far down.
 
Back
Top Bottom