TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Glad it was better @Josephine has a cool link that explains the energy drain at different recovery times. I'll see if I can copy and paste.
 
Ok, I'm trying this quote thing for the energy link. It's an interesting comparison.


Here's an article for you on the Energy drain for TKRs Energy drain after any major surgery is part of recovery. Don't fight it - just rest. This too shall pass!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Campervan , you know I was wondering about taking iron. I was sent home with a copy of all my bloodwork from the hospital and noticed that it was -- like yours -- borderline low after surgery. I have never had a problem with it before. I was actually thinking about taking some iron tabs for a week or two and seeing if it helps. Your post is an inspiration to me to try it.

Thanks for the article, @KarriB !

Roxie
 
I hope you have a better day today @Kansas Teacher I can't imagine being alone for a couple weeks. But at least he is home now. Life is filled with ups and downs along the way - keep your chin up - lots of good advice above mine. I don't have any real advice just smiles and hugs....... I know I will need them too - right now my knees are knocking and I get scared and wonder do I really want to do this????? Then I go somewhere and say oh yes, yes I do..... so I'll be your cheerleader for another month :console2: :dancy:
 
@Kansas Teacher were you given an iron supplement in the hosptial? I was and told to take it for 2 (maybe 3) weeks after my surgery.
 
I was not @KarriB . No one said anything about it but they sent me home with a copy of all the blood tests that had been done and it showed pre and post surgery lab values. It was ever so slightly below normal when I left and had definitely dropped. I'm not sure if that's enough to cause problems or not but I've never been low before at any time so it might be low compared to what I'm used to. I figure it can't hurt to take a multivitamin with iron for a couple weeks.

It's a rainy day here today but Russ and I went and looked at a house some friends of ours are building in a nearby community. It's built by the same builders who did our house 3 years. We are excited for our friends. Then we stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up a few things. Needless to say, I'm exhausted now and am icing and elevating my knee. I think a nap may be in order too.

Roxie
 
I'm glad your husband's home. Having someone take care of you is comforting, even if it's just bringing you what you need.
I had never taken vitamins, but since my TKR I take a daily multivitamin. The iron pill was on top of a multi and I believe it was part of the constipation problems I had. The nurses said it was probably a combination of pills, so as soon as I could go off them I did.
But while I was in the hospital rehab for the infection my labs came up dangerously low in potassium, probably due to the huge amounts of saline they ran through me. So a nurse brings in 2 potasium pills. Real horse pills, about an inch long (in my eyes) and although I swallow pills regularly because I have Hashimotos disease and need synthroid daily, I could not get these pills down. So I called the hospital cafeteria and ordered 3 bananas for dinner, because I can eat bananas with no problem. Next labs showed I had HIGH potasium levels! So just be careful!
 
@KarriB I have Hashimotos disease too!! Isn't that interesting - I had never heard of it before I got it and now hearing you have it too..... I talk all kinds of vitamins - but am starting to think about stopping before my surgery.
 
@iivesfam5 I think you'd be ok if you continue to take one daily multivitamin. Now I take the gummy ones because last year I was swallowing sooooo many pills, they were one less pill to swallow.
The Hashimotos is genetic in my family. All the women in my immediate family have it.
 
I'm not sure if that's enough to cause problems or not
No, it isn't enough to cause the fatigues problems and you don't lose near enough blood during a TKR to warrant taking iron but it won't do you any harm if you do. Your fatigue is solely due to the energy drain which Karri left you (well done Karri!) and is unrelenting in it's progress during our recovery. I suggest you just accommodate it instead of trying to fight it and you'll feel much better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @KarriB and @Josephine . I did read the article on energy drain and know that is the problem. I guess my impatience is resurfacing again and I'm just feeling a bit frustrated at my inability to do more.

On a good note, I slept a bit better last night. Still not as soundly as I'd like but I stayed in bed all night and my leg didn't hurt terribly. IT band ached a bit but not as much as it had been. While I should be knocking on wood while I say this, it seems like things might be settling down a bit. Swelling and tightness is still there, of course, but that's not unexpected. My flexion and extension are good and I think have probably even improved a bit more since I was released from PT. I have no problem at all going up and down stairs normally and often find myself forgetting to use the handrail, which probably isn't smart! I still have a sore spot on the inside of my knee that I am going to assume is an area in the process of healing. I have my 6-week check-up tomorrow so will ask about it.

All in all, things seem to be going fairly well and improving at 6 weeks. It's been a far longer 6 weeks than I expected it to be but I am starting to see daylight!

Roxie
 
Sounds like it's all moving in the right direction! Way to go on the stairs!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I sincerely hope I won't regret it but I went out and walked my standard 1/3 mile around our development. At the end of the walk, I felt good so went around a second time. I was a little tired at the end of the 2/3 mile walk but felt pretty good. I am icing and elevating now and feeling thankful because, before surgery, I couldn't get halfway around one time without being in excruciating pain. Now I feel tightness, but not really pain.

Roxie
 
My OS says walking is the best thing I can do. Sounds like you've approached it wisely.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hi Roxie,

Sorry to hear you have been more tired, but I guess it's another reminder that it's all normal in this recovery process. It's so hard to be patient and wait for our body's to heal on their schedule. The energy drain that was posted, is so true. Why do I continue to forget or expect that it should not apply to me?

I think you have been doing remarkable!!!! I'm glad that the walk felt good for you!
 
We need that reminder so often, @MidwestTKR . At least I do! Had a pretty busy afternoon too. After elevating and icing after my morning activities, my husband and I took some things over to our new camping trailer that we wanted to store inside. Then we had to make a stop at the McConnell AFB clinic to change our primary care physician. I am home again now doing what I do best these days -- elevating and icing!

Roxie
 
:flwrysmile:What a wild recovery from a TKR. There is so many ups and downs. I have cried:bawl:laughed :rotfl: been without sleep:mcoffee: worried :sos: thought I was losing my mind :yikes: Iced:ice:elevated :elevate: been happy :happydance:and sad:sad: Even flopped on the floor like a fish :bigfish: (that is not made up). I am so happy you are feeling better. We all need to acknowledge are down times. That is a great part of what we are here for. Just think we are ONLY 6 weeks out. Is that not sad LOL.
 
Seems like 6 months, doesn't it, @Bilbo ? Someday we will look back on this and smile at how ridiculous we acted and felt through it but not today yet.

I think I've experienced every single one of those emotions too except I can't say I've flopped on the floor like a fish!

Roxie
 
I guess my impatience is resurfacing again and I'm just feeling a bit frustrated at my inability to do more.
And wow! You're only 6½ weeks out - you should be running marathons by now!:heehee:
I went out and walked my standard 1/3 mile around our development. At the end of the walk, I felt good so went around a second time. I was a little tired at the end of the 2/3 mile walk but felt pretty good.
My dear good girl - that was not a good idea! I strongly suggest that if you do such a thing, you leave at 1-2 days before you do it again. Take it easily. Remember the tortoise and the hare and who won that race? :wink:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom