TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

The bad coffee was my fault - I was at home so could have made a pot of the good stuff but instead chose the lazy option.... There are a number of places to get great coffee in London these days - coffee is having a bit of a moment here! Let me know if you do plan to come over and need any local knowledge. I live out in the suburbs but work in the centre of the city.

I've really been working on my quads and my PT has said they've really improved so I'm pleased about that. I'm doing straight leg lifts using 2.5lb weights and it appears to be working.
 
Its really worth the effort of pre-op exercise - it should be encouraged much more. Its such a help to have strong quads. It will stand you in good steed @Raffs
@Kansas Teacher - using a cane can be good to fend off people who aren't looking where they are walking or to give any naughty children trying to trip you up a quick nudge!
 
My cane comes in handy when trying to reach things! I'm often asking my students if anyone has seen my cane because I don't need it usually, except for steps or reaching thing.
 
Good for you @Raffs . Sounds like you'll be ready to go. Our exchange student and his family live out in S. Croyden, Surrey.

@Hopper , great thinking. I hadn't thought of the cane's usefulness in those terms!

Roxie
 
My knee was a little sore today -- maybe a little too much walking yesterday -- so I have listened to it today and iced, elevated and rested quite a bit. I am at the point in my recovery where I do feel like soft tissue healing is a big part of the discomfort I experience from time to time so don't want to aggravate it when it feels like it needs a rest. I readily admit that it sure is hard for me to do that!

Roxie
 
Did anyone else have some pain on the side at 5 weeks and did it resolve?
It's very normal to have soft tissue pain off and on for many months after surgery. So don't be alarmed at this. Not only is the surgery traumatic for your knee, the soft tissue has to realign itself following all the years of trying to compensate for your bad knee. This "compensation factor" is one reason why we try to encourage people not to wait too long before getting their knee replaced if they are bone on bone. You indicated that you waited at least a year like this for surgery, so it is possible that you'll have some pain for a while yet. Just do what you're doing and it will resolve....when it hurts, stop and rest and allow things to settle, then go again.
 
Thank you @Jamie . That is pretty much exactly what my PT and OS told me. I have already decided that I will not wait so long to do the second one when the time comes. All of this "realigning" is almost more painful than the knee is at this point in time.

I went over to my neighbors to see her new deck and sat and visited for awhile. I sat in her glider rocker and worked on my flexion while we talked! Now I am icing for the evening. Contemplating whether I am up to a trip to our new Costco store tomorrow.

Roxie
 
Roxie, get the electric cart when you go in and enjoy touring the new store.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
First time driving around in Sam's Club today. Don't go too far into the store walking....you'll have an equal distance to get out! ;-)
 
Last year at my 5 month mark I went to IKEA for the first time ever with my niece. It is the same way, except I couldn't tell how far I had gone and how far to get out! That store is a maze! I was in a panic, weepy and hyperventilating by the time I saw the doors. Did I mention I have claustrophia? Haha!
Take the cart...
 
Funny you mention the glider... I was in a meeting today, and I was using the rolling chair to move forward and back to stretch, and I'm pretty sure I got past 90 for the first time, without even trying.

You said you have some essential oils, right? I've been using a blend of lavender, cedarwood and chamomile on my wrists and back of my neck at night. While I don't know if it really does anything, I've definitely found myself more relaxed at bedtime.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OK, @PolarBear60 , @tigz , @KarriB , the cart is a great idea but, here's the thing. I'm kind of scared to try it because I've never been on one! How do I ride on it without creating all kinds of havoc inside Costco? I don't even know how to start it or steer it! I can see myself running into some giant display of something and knocking it all down.

Roxie
 
@JennyLynne , I also have some Wild Orange oil, which is supposed to help you stay asleep at night. I can't say it's kept me awake but something has helped me get back to sleep more quickly the past few nights. Maybe……


Roxie
 
@JennyLynne , I also have some Wild Orange oil, which is supposed to help you stay asleep at night. I can't say it's kept me awake but something has helped me get back to sleep more quickly the past few nights. Maybe……


Roxie
Next to the length of my recovery, the sleep issues were the next most frustrating aspect of my recovery. I tried Benadryl, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, etc---it finally ended when I gave in and heeded my OS's advice and picked up the prescription for Ambien. I only took it for ten nights, but it re-established my sleep pattern.

After that, I did not look back---no more sleep issues.
 
If there's a speed knob, turn it way down until you get used to it. Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with it before you go whizzing off, and you'll be fine.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Jean is right! The carts are actually easy to operate. They have limiters so even at "warp" speed, you can't go very fast. There is no brake, you just squeeze the power lever and that's it. How hard you squeeze determines how fast you go and you can turn the overall speed way down too. You'll be tooling around in no time. Just don't forget to unplug the power cord before you take off....otherwise it can be a bit embarrassing when you drag around the grab a plush vending machine! :snork:

 
I've never ridden one either, but I have a recurring dream about the IKEA trip.
 
Back
Top Bottom