Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Yay for sleep! Nice to wake up and feel rested for a change!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It has been a low-key day today. I've only taken one of my 3 short walks for the day but it's 95 degrees outside and I'm having trouble getting myself motivated. I am hopeful it will cool down if I wait just a bit. We shall see.

I talked to a good friend a state away for awhile this afternoon and that was nice. I even made a run to Walgreens for some Tylenol and had no trouble going in and out without my cane, even though I had to stand in line at the counter.

Roxie
 
I even made a run to Walgreens for some Tylenol and had no trouble going in and out without my cane, even though I had to stand in line at the counter.
Roxie,
Isn't that awesome to be able to stand in line at the store and not be in horrible pain? That's the one thing I've noticed since my surgery. I used to dread going to the store or anywhere were I knew I'd have to stand in one place for any length of time. Now it's no big deal! What a relief!
 
@Gigi32 , you are right. When I pulled up to Walgreens, it occurred to me that I had forgotten to put my cane in the car and had second thoughts about going in. But I've been taking my 3 one-third mile walks daily without a cane so decided to just go for it. I'm glad I did!

Roxie
 
I realized last night that knee pain is not keeping me awake anymore because it's improved so much. But, my dang IT band ached like crazy in the night so I got up and moved to the recliner again and went back to sleep. Sure hope it settles down soon.

Roxie
 
Did you have IT band issues before the surgery?

Good to hear that you're not in much pain and are sleeping a bit better. You really seem to be making great progress!
 
@Raffs , I did have some IT band issues before surgery. The OS said that my knee had collapsed down onto my tibia bone due to the disappearance of my cartilage which had, in turn, pulled by IT band over to where it was rubbing on my knee and causing pain. He feels like it will settle down once some time has passed. I know there are several people on here who have struggled with that and it does seem to take awhile. Like everything else in my life though, I want it fixed now!

Roxie
 
Ouch! Collapsed knee sounds very painful. How long were you living with it like that?
 
About a year, @Raffs , and yes it was painful. Basically, it was just from my cartilage that had completely deteriorated on the medial side of my knee (as well as behind my patella). When the cartilage went, that side of my knee bone dropped down to where it was resting on -- and a bit in front of -- my tibia. I needed the surgery pretty bad. Thanks @Pumpkln , I have read that article a few times and am doing many of the things it suggests.

Even before the surgery, it always flared up worse if I was inactive and doing a lot of sitting due to knee pain. It seemed to stay stretched out better if I was active which, of course, was hard with my knee. Since the surgery, I've also been doing a lot of sitting (elevating, icing, resting, etc.) which I don't think has helped anything at all. Even though it might seem to make more sense to rest it, I think I respond better to activity. So, today I decided to try my Tai Chi workout again in a very modified fashion. My PT had given me permission to try it when I saw him for the last time last week. It always does a good job of stretching out my hip, hamstrings and IT band. I backed away from anything that required a lot of bending such as the deeper tai chi squats but I feel better at the moment having done it. I'm now icing my knee so it doesn't make it swell although it felt pretty good afterwards. We shall see how I respond to it. If it helps, I may incorporate it on a very limited basis -- maybe twice a week or so -- until I get more fully recovered.

Roxie
 
I never had the Tai Chi thing, sounds kind of like Yoga. I noted that other member went back to yoga also.
I could try to do my Katah's from martial arts, but the kicks and lunges might not be to good from my knee.
So I just try to walk. I walked three times today and just let that knee triple clunk along. After a while it becomes mostly background ache. I wish I could walk enough to make this go away. Getting ready to go change to go to my PT appt with my original therapist.
 
I wish you could walk it away too, @wberry . I hate that you are having to deal with this. The Tai Chi workout I do is actually called "Classical Stretch." If you google it, you can see what it is. It's more of a combination of strength and stretching that incorporates a lot of tai chi moves. I give it a lot of credit for maintaining my quad strength prior to my TKR in spite of the knee pain. Of course I did modify it by minimizing movements that involved my knee. A couple years ago, I went to a Classical Stretch workout with the founder in Colorado and there were a couple women there who had TKR's and were doing the full workout with no problems.

Roxie
 
I got out of the house a couple times today which felt nice -- a trip to Starbucks for coffee. My husband is the coffee maker at our house and makes the most delightful coffee every morning -- he grinds the beans fresh every morning that he buys from a specialty store here in Wichita. It's delicious. But I never get the grind, or the amount or something right because it doesn't taste like his. So I went to Starbucks even though his is better. I'll be glad when he's home later this week!

Then tonight, I went to my 5-year-old grandson's T-ball game. I had forgotten how t-ball is a lot like "herding cats" with 4 and 5 year olds. It was hysterical to watch them but he had a great time and I enjoyed watching. And I did fine walking on the field without my cane which was even better.

Roxie
 
Wow! Good for you! You're having a great recovery!
 
It's 7.15am here in London and I'm having a not-so-great coffee - wish it was a Starbuck's or - even better - a freshly ground brew. Sounds delicious.

Do you think the Tai Chi you did before surgery has helped with your recovery? My PT told me that the pre-op exercises I've been doing to strengthen my quads etc will help me. Three weeks today til surgery! :rolleyes:
 
Do you use a video for your tai chi, work out of a book, or have you memorized the routine from classes you've taken? (Or something else)


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Raffs , if I were sitting in London, I would put up with a bad cup of coffee. We are hoping to get there this fall to visit a former exchange student we had who lives near London. I do think the tai chi helped a lot. My quads were very strong even after surgery and I remember the OS and PT coming in and asking me if I could do straight leg lifts, etc. I didn't know they were supposed to be hard and did them right away and easily. But I would say that anything you can do to strengthen your quads would be helpful and it doesn't necessarily have to be this.

@PolarBear60 , I have a number of Classical Stretch DVD's that I use. I have also taken classes in the past to make sure I'm using proper form. The DVD's work with you a lot on proper form too.

Roxie
 
I think it is amazing that you are able to walk without your cane, without a limp already. I still can't do that and I am 7 weeks, post-op. I realized I was limping when not using a cane inside, so I decided it was best for me to continue to use the cane. I can tell I am no way ready to walk outside without a cane. I think you are doing so well!!! Good for you!
 
I'm on and off with the cane. I tend to carry it with me just in case.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Back
Top Bottom