TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Way to go @Kansas Teacher ! All your walking has really paid off! You'll be driving off to see your kids and grandkids before long!
 
Yep, I have my 6-week check-up with my OS in a couple weeks so have to hang around for that but then ….. watch out world!

Roxie
 
After sleeping well the night before, I was disappointed that I woke up again at 4 last night -- not really in pain, but uncomfortable -- and just couldn't get back to sleep. I'm tired of these big bags under my eyes from lack of sleep!

Roxie
 
Often, not getting back into a proper sleep cycle is one of the most persistent problems - I'm sorry to say.

It took me about 5 months before my sleeping habits were back to normal.
 
Try to make up the sleep with daytime naps.
 
5 months could be longer than most - I've never been a good sleeper. Some people do get back into sleeping normally much faster than I did.
 
9-year-old granddaughter is spending the night tonight while my husband is out of town She is "taking care of me!" We ran to a local pizza place and picked up take-out and now she is drawing me a picture -- she's actually quite a talented little artist for her age.

My PT noticed yesterday that, at one end of my incision, it's raising up just a little bit. He gave me a silicone strip to use on it and said it will help flatten it back down. I am supposed to use it at night when I sleep covered by a sleeve he gave me which should help hold it on.

Roxie
 
Night time is the only time I don't use my sleeve. It's like a part of me now.

My scar was extra sensitive last night, and behind the knee. Still I slept ok considering.
 
No just the sleeve to help with swelling. She hasn't told me to not wear it do I assume there is still significant enough swelling in the knee still to warrant it. Unless she's just comparing it to my other bony knee and the new one is just gonna be fatter anyway. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
@tigz , I don't know that my sleeve has enough compression in it to control swelling. It definitely fits well enough to hold the silicone strip on but I doubt it would control swelling much.

Roxie
 
My sleeve is tight enough I have a pattern on my knee for a while when I take it off. :-)
 
I believe so, but I haven't done any measurement comparisons.
 
I slept a bit better last night. I'm really not having much pain at all anymore except on the lateral and medial sides. The lateral side is, I think, related to my tight IT band because when I rub it and stretch it, it helps. The medial side is around where my meniscus was and where they did the initial arthroscopy a year prior to the TKR. I am guessing there was maybe more trauma to that area and I have ligaments, tendons stretching out there too as my cartilage was completely gone. Tylenol and an occasional ibuprofen seem to take care of it. So, all in all, I feel that I'm doing much better. I still have a long way to go though to be where I want to be! Did anyone else have some pain on the side at 5 weeks and did it resolve?

Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A couple short walks, a few heel slides and a few trips up and down my stairs (it's so exciting to go up and down in a normal way now!) is about all I've accomplished today. I'd like to do one more walk today but it's in the 90's with very high humidity and isn't very pleasant outside!

I guess my granddaughter wore me out but it sure was great to have her here.

I've done a lot of icing and elevating in an effort to take advantage of my lazy day!

Roxie
 
I slept a bit better last night. I started on my side using a pillow. Sometime in the night -- early morning I think -- the one little area that tends to ache on the medial side of my knee started to bother and my IT band started to hurt so I got up, walked around a bit and went to my recliner where I went right back to sleep and slept until morning. I can deal with that.

Other than that, not much on the agenda for today.

Roxie
 
Back
Top Bottom