Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

@wberry , I only take Tylenol and Ibuprofen now but my poor stomach is a mess. It didn't do great on the percocet and I hoped that when I stopped that, it would improve. But it still bothers. I've started taking a Prevacid until I can stop Tylenol and Ibuprofen on a regular basis and it seems to be helping somewhat.

Are you drinking a full glass of water with the meds, and not laying down for a minimum of 30 minutes? I've found that helps me.

I'm starting slowly...taking afternoon Tylenol only, and the Lortab in the morning and evening, and if really needed during the night. Percocet was definitely better for pain, but it made me sick to my stomach.
 
No, I'm not, @tigz . That's good advice though so I am going to try that in the future. All I have is percocet and a huge bottle left. I was down to where I was only taking it in the evening and then, when I woke up, I would have a headache that lasted all day. That wasn't pleasant either.
 
Are you drinking a full glass of water with the meds, and not laying down for a minimum of 30 minutes? I've found that helps me.
Great advice, dehydration can cause headaches.
Hope you find something soon that works for you.
 
With the narcotics I was drinking a glass of water every time I got up and moved around...I hate that dry mouth they cause! Oh and the third part...don't take the Tylenol on a empty stomach!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am taking OTC Tylenol, @KarriB . You all just reminded me that I need to drink more water and be careful to take it with food. I'm really not having problems controlling pain at all -- but I still need something and was getting tired of it messing my stomach up. Guess I need to get back to basics -- more water and take with food.
Such a slow learner, I am.

Roxie
 
Small victory a few minutes ago. I needed to get something downstairs so I headed downstairs and, when I got about halfway down, realized I was doing it normally! I had been able to walk up the stairs one foot per step but not down but, at least for today, I was able to do down too.

Roxie
 
Wow! That's fabulous! Someday I hope to do that! Good for you!
 
Wow!!!! That is amazing!!!! Huge huge huge step forward!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I actually went to sleep and slept well last night until about 4 this morning when I was up. I tried to get back to sleep but finally gave up so here I am. Hubby made it to Phoenix in time for the 5-year-old's hockey game and texted pictures to me. He also lost his first tooth last night which made me even sadder -- he's growing up way too fast. The baby will probably take a couple days to warm up to him.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Roxie
 
Glad you got some good sleep! I actually took a percoset and still couldn't fall asleep. Guess I might as well ditch the pills altogether now.

Aw, first tooth! Did the tooth fairy visit? I hear the going rate has increased a lot lately. It's quite lucrative!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad your husband made it safely in time for both the hockey game and the first tooth loss! AND that he remembered to help you participate via pictures.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
That sleep seems to be elusive for a lot of us. I hope it improves soon. Oh yes, @JennyLynne , the tooth fairy definitely visited but I haven't heard yet how much loot he left. I was surprised the tooth came out so soon because he just called me yesterday to say he had a "wiggly tooth" then not much later, I got the picture of him with the tooth gone.

I hope my husband caught up a bit on his rest last night. All my tossing and turning and lack of sleep has to be keeping him awake too.

Roxie
 
What amount of Tylenol and Advil are you taking, and how frequently? Day #2 for me, trying to gauge the timing. My OS suggested 2 extra strength Tylenol and 3 Advil, but we didn't talk timing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's what I'm taking, @JennyLynne . I space it out about 4 X throughout the day with the final one right before I go to bed. I don't take it in the night unless I'm really in a lot of pain when I wake up.

How's it working for you?

Roxie
 
So far so good! I've been up more that usual today, more stairs, plus PT, so we will see how I'm doing later. May indulge at bedtime.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I also think maybe the Tylenol is giving me diarrhea -- can it do that?
Stomach upset is not normally associated with Tylenol.

I only take Tylenol and Ibuprofen now but my poor stomach is a mess.
But...stomach problems definitely can be an issue with NSAIDs like ibuprofen! It's an anti-inflammant and usually is not all that great for relieving pain following surgery. So, I suggest that you just stick with the Tylenol and stop any NSAIDs. It is not advisable to take them if they upset your stomach. If you're using Tylenol for pain relief, you can take up to 4000mg in 24 hours (be sure to count any acetaminophen in other products like cold and sinus medications). A good schedule to try is 1000mg every 6 hours. You do need to take the full 1000mg at each dose for it to work properly for this type of pain.

I do notice that I seem to have a sore spot on my knee kind of on the front lower inside area. Is it normal to have that and/or other sore spots just pop up now and then?
Perfectly normal. There can be little pockets of swelling that cause that skin or soft tissue tenderness. Odd aches and pains can pop up and then go away with no rhyme or reason. It's just part of the fun of recovery!
 
Thanks @Jamie . Actually my stomach is loads better today. Like I mentioned once before, I honestly think it might have been my husband's cooking (which I'm totally ashamed to say because he was so sweet about it and tried so hard). But I am mostly a chicken, fish and veggie eater and we had a LOT of red meat -- i.e., steaks on the grill -- when he was in charge. Since he's out of town for a few days, I'm cooking for myself now and making simple meals that I like. It's amazing how much better my stomach is in two days since I took over cooking for myself! However, I think I will try your Tylenol suggestion although it does seem like the ibuprofen helps with the swelling just a bit.

I actually found out that the little irritated spot on my knee was frost burn! I don't know how it happened since I never ice without a cloth between the ice pack and my skin -- never. But this one area is the area where I had my arthroscopy a year ago and I'm wondering if it was extra sensitive to start with and that made it more susceptible. The doctor said that I need to cut back the length of time I'm icing and put a couple extra layers between that area and the ice pack. Geez. It's always something!

Roxie
 
Back
Top Bottom