TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

Well, I had another "better" night's sleep -- that makes two in a row. It makes such a difference in your day when you actually had some sleep the night before. The Saran Wrap trick seems to have helped. The incision looks great but the area around it is really going through a sensitive period. Last night, I was on my front porch watching my husband (well, supervising, really) plant a couple butterfly bushes and a fairly light breeze was blowing. Just the gentle breeze blowing across my knee was causing twinges of pain. I am rubbing it with various textures and am hopeful this stage will not last too long!

I am still having some IT band pain -- partly I think because I'm sitting more than I usually do when I ice, rest, etc. Even before surgery, I had kept moving most of the day even though it was painful. The other thing I notice is that my shin and ankle are a bit achy. They were before the surgery too and then, I felt it was because I was limping all the time and my gait was all wrong. Now I'm hoping that all that limping didn't cause a stress fracture in my ankle or something. I asked the OS about it at my last appointment and he felt that it was just going to take time for my whole leg to lengthen tendons and readjust itself to the knee joint. I guess if it still bothers when I see him in June, I'll ask again. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Simple solutions?

It is overcast again and we have had more rain overnight but it does look like it's finally supposed to dry out at least for a few days starting tomorrow. We really need some sun and dry air to help with all the areas of flooding we've had.

Have a pain-free day!

Roxie
 
I've had some tightness in my ankle from before the surgery, too. I keep meaning to ask the PT folks about it. It isn't as bad as it was before surgery, but it's still there. I keep stretching and hoping it will relax.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60 , maybe I'm just needing to give it more time. The OS did tell me it was going to take some time to settle everything down in my leg after the surgery and I guess it makes sense. After walking wrong on it for a long time, tendons and ligaments probably shorten and lengthen abnormally and they've got to get back to normal. Hopefully that's all it is.

Roxie
 
I think your OS is probably right - our whole body is impacted by these issues. When I broke my foot 5 yrs ago, I spent 2 yrs on and off in a walking boot, then crutches for 6 weeks after surgery. My hips and back were harder to rehab than the foot, for all of the compensating work they had endured over the years!
 
@JennyLynne , that's exactly why I have decided that if/when my other knee needs replaced, I am not going to wait as long. I let it go way too far this time and now I'm dealing with all the other stuff!
 
I think you're right. I'm monitoring the ankle now, and it has been better since the surgery.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Good news, @PolarBear60 . Mine is better some days, not so good others. I wonder if I'm just up on my feet a bit too much on the days it aches. Looking forward to the day this is all behind us!
 
My ankle hurts sometimes I was thinking it from the way I prop my legs up. My heel makes my foot go a little forward . Not sure , Hope it gets better.
 
I have wondered that same thing, @Bilbo . Who knows. We are all medical mysteries, I guess. It will be a relief when it's all behind us.

Roxie
 
My right ankle just plain doesn't know what it is supposed to do. I broke it in the '80's and had zero PT resulting in limited flex which probably contributed to the knee issue. When I am on the stationary bike it tries to stay stiff rather than flexing a little through the circle. PT did a little work on the ankle itself and I try to have the right mirror the left ankle when on the bike. Some days it is really tired after PT, same as my knee and that is a good thing.
 
Yes, I think I'll ask him about that on Tuesday, @KarriB . My OS said today that I could be done as long as I did the exercises at home but I do think I'll talk to my PT about it.
 
That's great you may be done PT next week if you and the therapist feel comfortable about that. I have a long ways to go methinks. But that's ok. Will relieve hubby from his chauffeur duties next week. It's not that far (15 minutes), but little trips every day since Wednesday make me feel more comfortable about driving myself.
 
I got more therapy after my initial, but it was only twice a week.

Now I am on my own I do it three times a week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry , from what I've seen, it looks like you've been making good progress doing therapy yourself. You are doing great!

I actually only had my PT twice a week to start with -- they never offered anything more. I've had a good therapist though so that has helped.

Roxie
 
Thanks! You seem to be moving right along. And I know you'll do well


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The shin and ankle pain can come from gait readjustments. But they can also be the result of gravity transferring swelling on down your leg. It's very common, so I wouldn't worry about it right now. If it bothers you, take something for the pain. Even Tylenol (take a full 1000mg dose up to 4 times a day) will probably work. It also could signal that your body would like a rest with your leg iced and elevated.
 
if/when my other knee needs replaced, I am not going to wait as long. I let it go way too far this time and now I'm dealing with all the other stuff

I'd absolutely agree with this. My right knee when done 3 years ago was much worse than my left which I had done 10 days ago. My right recovery was slow, with aches and pains in every part from buttocks/hip to foot and this went on for a few months. I had physio massages and this helped immensely. My left I don't seem to have all that, was walking with no crutches three days post op.
 
I broke my two day record and slept badly again last night. Then today, I kind of have a queasy stomach. Our grandson spent the night and, while my husband did most everything, maybe I did a bit too much. I feel like I'm missing out on so much……. I also think maybe the Tylenol is giving me diarrhea -- can it do that?

On Monday, my husband is going to head for Phoenix to see our two grandsons who live there. We had planned to both be there at this time but my knee surgery got in the way. He was going to go a week ago but decided to delay it a bit to stay with me another week. I appreciated it but will sure miss seeing the boys.

@Campervan , that's good to know. Guess I need to be patient although I'm not feeling in a mood to be patient today.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom