Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

We've had a good run... He's 3 and never ever tried to climb out. Oh well, has to be done sometime!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne , Yes, I always felt it was best to leave them in the crib until they tried to climb out …….. or, until Mom had knee surgery and couldn't lift them out anymore! He's probably big enough that he'll think he's a big boy once he moves to the toddler bed!

I went for my annual eye exam this morning so I am sitting here with sun glasses on since they always dilate my eyes as part of the exam. Yuck, I hate that part! But, it's a good opportunity to elevate and ice. My knee is kind of sore tonight after being in a sitting position for an extended period at the retirement party last night. I'm probably going to need to baby it a bit today since I have PT tomorrow although, hopefully, hydrotherapy!

I also stopped and picked up some Prevacid for my stomach. All the pain medication had done a number on my stomach and I was at the point where even Tylenol was bothering it. And, while I wouldn't say this to anyone else because he tried so hard, I don't think my husband's cooking helped a lot. I prepare and eat mostly chicken and fish and lots of veggies when I cook but my sweet hubby fixed a lot of steaks, french fries, etc. over the past few weeks. I never complained once and truly appreciated every single meal and I am very grateful that he didn't resort to fast food.

He left this morning about 9:15 for Phoenix to see our daughter and her family there. He'll be gone 10 days or so and is picking up a camper trailer we purchased which we plan to use a lot now that we are both retired and I will have a good knee once this one is healed up! He'll also have a chance to spoil our sweet grandsons while he's there. I will miss him a lot but have several things planned this week so all will be good.

I hope all of my fellow Bonesmarties have a great day.

Roxie
 
I hear you about the food... Pepperoni pizza, anyone?? Yesterday I asked him to bring me a little snack in bed, and left me with a huge hunk of cheese and a box of crackers. And of course, I had no willpower!

A camper will be great fun! What a great way to celebrate retirement and good knees! do you FaceTime with your grandkids? We do that a lot since we don't live near family.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We do FaceTime some, @JennyLynne . We used to do it more but then the 5-year-old thought it was hysterically funny to just reach over and turn it off in the middle of a conversation. Then, of course, he would want to call back over and over. And the 10-month old still tries to eat everything, computer included! We still do it but, hopefully, they will both be in a stage where we can do it more easily soon!

That's hysterically funny about the hunk of cheese and crackers and sounds exactly like something my husband would do!

Roxie
 
Hubby is on day 2 of his trek to Phoenix to visit daughter and family. The 5-year-old grandson is hoping he'll be there in time for his little league hockey game tonight at 5. Because he doesn't want to disappoint our grandson, he got up at 4 this morning in Denver and took off. He called a bit ago and was in Grand Junction -- close to the Utah line -- so he's moving along. I do worry about him driving by himself though. Denver to Phoenix is a long day under the best of circumstances.

I have PT in a bit so that will probably be my excitement for the day. I notice that I have a couple sore-to-the-touch spots on my kneecap away from the incision a bit. Wondering what that is. Even my skin is kind of sore in those spots so maybe nerves?

Roxie
 
Your husband drove to AZ? Wow, that is some drive! But I bet he crosses through some beautiful areas!

Nerve regeneration can create the oddest feelings! Sometimes it feels like an electric bolt goes through my knee, but mostly like tingly feelings. Every day, I have some "What was that??" moments!
 
We have a camper trailer. Used it also on weekends at the lake. Need to replace it with a newer model with slide outs. Glad you are planning to have a fun retirement.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
He did, @JennyLynne . He is also picking up our new camping trailer while he's there so it was necessary for him to drive. You're right though -- it's a long long trip. There's some nice places to stop along the way but he won't be taking the time to do that!

I think what I'm experiencing is that lightning bolt feeling that just comes out of nowhere. But it's generally kind of achy in that spot too. And, when I ice my knee, ice kind of sets that one area off too. This whole healing process is so long and has so many twists and turns and I'm only 4 1/2 weeks into it!

@wberry, which lake do you camp at? Our closest decent choice around Wichita would be El Dorado Lake but, since we're retired, we hope to do some longer distance camping trips with it too if I can EVER get this knee to heal up!

Roxie
 
Because I am down in Geary county we use Milford, biggest lake in the state. The camp sites are very nice.
There are several sites around the lake in the state camp ground areas. Out preference ins Furnum Creek area.
A lot of folks triple pull and bring their boat behind the camper. There is great fishing, boating, and swimming in Milford. The lake is huge.
 
Don't want to get off thread, but you will enjoy that walking areas , all the camp grounds are near the water.
It take 1.5 hours to get here from Wichita if you go 50 to 77 route.
 
Remeber, the TKR was so you could either get back to doing what you lost or be able to do more. If you are getting camping fever, that's a good thing. The walks on your knee will be good for you.
 
@wberry , you are that little voice in the back of my head who keeps reminding me of things I need to hear. Thank you.

I will be so glad when I can stop taking something regularly for pain. I only take Tylenol and Ibuprofen now but my poor stomach is a mess. It didn't do great on the percocet and I hoped that when I stopped that, it would improve. But it still bothers. I've started taking a Prevacid until I can stop Tylenol and Ibuprofen on a regular basis and it seems to be helping somewhat.
 
I decided to try to switch to Tylenol and ibuprofen today too. I have been taking 1/2 percoset pill for the last few days, every 5-6 hours. Hope I can comfortably move off it for good, at least during the daytime.
 
Good luck @JennyLynne . I hope you don't experience too much pain making the medication switch.

I finally had my warm water therapy at PT this morning and it was everything I'd hoped it would be! They have a treadmill built right into the pool so he had me walk on the treadmill for awhile then turn around and walk backwards a bit, do stretches, etc. I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to try it!

While I was in there doing my exercises, I had a chance to visit with my PT, Tom, about why some PT's are so aggressive. He said that some that were trained years ago and haven't kept up with current research tended to be more that way -- at least in the Wichita area from his observation. He said that early on in his career, he was probably more aggressive than he is now but that through additional training and his own personal observations, he found that patients who didn't receive aggressive PT recovered as fast as those who did receive aggressive PT and that, in some cases, it even slowed the process down. He said he just flat out does not believe in hurting patients and that he has no set flexion or extension he requires a patient to be at when PT ends. He said that sometimes he follows up with them 9 months down the road or so and, barring anything unusual, they are almost always developing good ROM by then. He did also say that part of the problem is OS's. Many of them request aggressive PT for their patients because they believe it is best but he really just feels like they generally don't understand. I am so thankful for my PT and would refer him to anyone.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Roxie
 
I so wish I had that resource here. Wichita is to far away to go for PT :-(
Only thing I can do is go use the pool and swim.
 
It would be a bit of a drive for you, @wberry ! I honestly didn't know Wichita had this until I started checking out physical therapists in the area. I guess some doctors like to have them use it immediately after surgery with a waterproof bandage over the wound. My OS preferred that I wait though so I didn't get the benefit early on. I can certainly see the advantage though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds really nice! I go to a very "basic" place for PT, nothing fancy like that! But they are kind and gentle and encouraging, so I won't complain! I am looking forward to seeing them again, when I start outpatient PT in a couple weeks.

As for switching meds, my pain has been pretty much same as any other day (not much), tho I have a wicked headache today. Coincidence perhaps?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm guessing not a coincidence, @JennyLynne ! I had the same headache -- hurt terrible across my forehead and behind my eyes -- for a couple days when I stopped Percocet entirely. I'm really glad to hear that your pain is controlled though without it.

And hey, I think a kind, gentle and encouraging place should trump whether they have a warm water aqua therapy pool. Of course, it's nice when they are kind, gentle and encouraging AND have a warm water aqua therapy pool!

Roxie
 
Back
Top Bottom