Guest viewing is limited

TKR Getting my Life back on May 1

My therapy place has a pool. I've only ever seen one person in it. I'd love to try it out. I need a swim suit!

Both of my kids belong to a local health club that has had a pool. I wonder what sort of discount they give to a little old lady with a healing new knee?
 
Might be worth asking, @tigz ! Well, we had our compulsory downpour this evening complete with hail. Don't all of you just want to move to Kansas?
 
I'm just now catching up with your thread! You've been doing so well....I'm impressed! Not sure if you've earned your "Patience" badge just yet, but I can tell you're working on it. Hang in there.....you really are still early in this process.

One thing you might try for swelling is a type of lymphatic massage. It's our lymph system that gets rid of the fluid associated with swelling. However, the lymph system is very slow at this process and this is why we advise you to elevate your leg....to let gravity do some of the work in transmitting the fluid to your core so it can be expelled from the body via the kidneys. You can assist this process even more by doing a massage with both hands from below your knee upwards to the upper thigh. Move your hands in circular motions working upwards. It helps to use some lotion or oil. But be sure not to put anything on your wound area if it's not totally healed. I'm assuming that you are healed if you've been cleared for water therapy tomorrow. You can use as much pressure with your hands as feels comfortable. Do this massage for about 15 minutes several times a day and it should help not only with the swelling but also some of your pain.
 
I will give that a try, @Jamie . Do you do it right over the wound or along each side of it? I am pretty much healed although the PT is going to put a waterproof bandage on it as extra insurance tomorrow. I still have a few steri-strips stuck to it that haven't come off entirely although the PT said to go ahead and take them off so I probably will today.

Yes, still working on the patience part. I had a good long talk with a friend last night who had a tar a year ago. She encouraged me and preached the "P" word too so it is starting to sink in.

Sunshine and blue skies this morning but more rain expected later in the day.

Roxie
 
Do you do it right over the wound or along each side of it?
Both....assuming that the wound is healed. You cover the whole top and sides of the leg as you move from lower leg to thigh.
 
Hi @Kansas Teacher - just dropping in to give you the following information:) - This is a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Ok, where are you going for the warm water pool treadmill?

I could use that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Might be worth asking, @tigz ! Well, we had our compulsory downpour this evening complete with hail. Don't all of you just want to move to Kansas?
Nah we did manage to have some gully washers this afternoon.

I'm going to have to ask the therapist about the pool tomorrow. Am thinking it's probably a great way to work on that ROM!
 
Hey keep that storm down your way, I don't want it here along i70.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've enjoyed reading your thread - good reporting of progress and problems! I will be a month behind you on June 2nd! Very relatable as I am also a teacher and impatient (with myself)! The iceman sounds like something I need to look into
 
@wberry , I wondered where in Kansas you were at. Now that you mention I-70 that gives me a better idea! The warm water treadmill is at the pt office near Webb and K96 in Wichita. I'm looking forward to it!

@Spirit65 , if you can come up with an ice machine, I really do recommend it. It makes everything so much simpler. I will look forward to reading about your progress too.

Our daughter in law went out of town with the grandkids for a few days to visit s one out of town family so our son was home alone. He came over tonight and we grilled steaks on the deck and had a nice visit. He has such a busy work schedule that it was really nice to have a chance to visit with him.

I ventured out today and went to my hairdresser. It's about a two hour process and, by the time we were done, I was yawning and wanting a nap! But I drove home and my sweet husband had dinner on the table for us and our son so I was revived.

I pulled off the few steri-strips that were still clinging for dear life on my incision. It appears to be healing very well. Tonight, I am going to try wrapping it in Saran Wrap to see if it makes it less sensitive so I can sleep. We shall see but I sure hope it works. I hope all of you get a better night's sleep than I have been getting!

Roxie
 
Blue skies and sunshine always helps:flwrysmile:. Hope you rest good tonight :sleep:. I went on a outing today, and over did it a little. Got home and sleep like a baby. LOL, Hope I don't stay up all nite. Water work sounds fun :swim:.
 
thanks for posting your progress,,I am a week ahead of you but come to the terms l might recover a tad slower then others but l accept that,,by me following your post and others it give me a hint of what's to come,,thanks again
 
@sabbath , one of the big things I have learned from bonesmart is that everyone's recovery appears to be different. It's not possible -- or even advisable -- to compare it with anyone else. And, truth be told, you sound like a more patient person than me and I honestly think that is an advantage because it's less likely that frustration will set in!

I will be leaving in a half hour or so for my water pt this morning -- I'm kind of excited about it! Other than that, we are going to the landscaping place this afternoon to have our landscaper help us pick out a couple new plants to replace the ones that we lost over winter. We want to get them planted before it turns hot -- and dry -- which it will soon enough.

We had another half inch of rain overnight and it's overcast this morning but looks like it might clear up. Fingers crossed!

Roxie
 
Well, so much for my water therapy. I got there with the bag of extra clothes in hand and Tom, my PT, commented that he liked the bag. We chatted and he had me ride the bike, did some massage, measured rom (no change since Tuesday -- boo), did a few exercises and then it was over. Apparently, he got busy and forgot and I didn't remind him because I thought he wanted to do the other stuff first. When he said we were done, I mentioned it and he said, "Oh no. I forgot we were doing that today!" So, now we are doing it next Tuesday and next week is supposed to be my last week of PT. Ah well, life goes on and I can wait a few more days for that lovely warm water!

Roxie
 
Aw, that's too bad! I am so curious to hear about it.
So you are done with PT next week? I will be done with home PT either tomorrow or next week, but then I will start outpatient PT for about 8 weeks. I won't start right away, but in a couple weeks... but continue for quite some time. I am really looking forward to it - I went there last summer for 12 weeks, and it's a great team and I felt so much better for it. My quads have suffered from all the knee trouble, and they helped be rebuild strength gently and slowly but effectively.
 
They set me up for 8 weeks of outpatient PT at two times per week. I love that they're taking things slowly and the mantra is, "If it hurts, don't do it." At least, it seems mostly easy at the time, but I come home and ice, elevate, and rest for a couple hours afterward, so I think they have it gauged about right. I have a student therapist from Tennessee, and she's doing very well.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@JennyLynne , this is outpatient PT that I will be finishing up. I never did have inpatient therapy -- just went straight to outpatient. I think I could have another two weeks if I ask for them though and I'm thinking about doing it. I'm anxious to be done but I also like having another pair of eyes keeping an eye on things. We'll see how I feel about it next week!
 
I'd contact your OS office tomorrow and see if they'd write a script for another month of PT. You don't have to use all of it but at least you'd be covered. And the PT could fine tune any other issues you have if need be.
 
Back
Top Bottom