Gearing Up for Round Two

@Barbaraj what awesome news! So happy that you got moved up and a month too! You've got this!

Thanks, @Elf1 Still reeling a bit as I scramble to get ready (pre-op appointment today, and need to hustle out and get a blood draw and an EKG before next Wednesday). But still feeling a bit more in control than I did last time when it was all so new and frightening. Had a pedicure this afternoon, hot pink polish although no fingernail polish allowed so got my gel manicure taken off--my nails feel so naked! Next chore to handle is getting some high fiber food stocked--I did well with prunes (love them, hate the gaggingly sweet juice) and raw almonds. I still have Miralax from last time so I'll dig that out of the medicine cabinet along with that disgusting nasal ointment I need to start using twice a day beginning Friday morning. I found it quite unpleasant last time, it always made me feel like I had a runny nose but, of course, I didn't and couldn't blow my noise--argh! So many petty details to juggle but at least I'm not freaking out. The relentless march towards surgery continues!

Another task to be gotten out of the way today, a dental cleaning which I moved up given the restriction on all dental procedures for 90 days after this second surgery. And you're right, @Ptarmigan, my focus is a bit clearer at the moment, and at least I'm giving lip service to making a few lists to get myself minimally organized. And it's nice that although I'm not excited about surgery, I am remarkably calm for the most part. My sleep is still good--around 7 hours a night with no scary wake-up calls where irrational fears swirl around in my head and prevent decent sleep. The nurse yesterday at my pre-op appointment confirmed that, all things being equal but no guarantees, my surgery and recovery from this second hip replacement will probably mirror the first so I am hopeful that will be the case. Surgery went well last time and recovery, although slow and tedious, was pretty straightforward. Another day closer--cue ominous warning bells!

I’m sure when I am on “final approach”, my heart will jump into my throat every time I remember just how imminent “the big day” is, but I can’t help grinning for you. I can hardly wait until you stop saying “trudge” and “crawl” - and I have visualized an updated holiday picture of bright-and-shiny @Barbaraj to Halloween instead of Christmas this year!

Ha, ha, @Ptarmigan, I think I've still got a lot of trudging and crawling ahead. But, I do know that eventually that I'll be standing upright and striding confidently next year. In fact, a friend emailed me today and reminded me that two months after surgery I hosted a dinner party so I must have been doing pretty good at that point. My fingers and toes are crossed that I'll do great again. I am lucky that I'm active still, and my overall health is good. Started that revolting nasal ointment today...nose has felt like it's running all morning--ugh.

@Barbaraj I imagine your weekend is overbooked already. Still, I had always planned to bring Seattle Shakespeare’s production of Romeo and Juliet to your attention ( Shakespeare in the Park) as a potential July diversion. It opened last night, is an all-female production, which plays better than you might guess and gives girls their turn at all that wonderful swordplay. DD is Benvolio :). It’s a bring-your-own-comfy-cushion event, and no one will care if you stand/walk/pace towards the back.

@Barbaraj you sound like you have it under control so will wish you a great weekend!
:friends:

Barbaraj, good luck next week! I will be joining you as a "double hippie" on 9/9 once I get through my 7/15 surgery. Here's to reclaiming our lives back!

:flwrysmile:Read your post since you got the cancellation news. :yes!:Good for you. I think you need to take a deep breath tho and slow down. :yes: After reading all your posts it's like your so excited you can't believe it's for real, but it is. My husband said I was wound up like an 8 day clock and I needed to let some things go. He would fill in the blanks for me. He was right, I let myself unwind and just go with it. I hope you can get the basics ready and let the rest go. You are going to wear yourself out...:running:I got tired just reading all the things you plan on doing in the next few days.
You remind me of my sister, she's like the ever ready battery. She never runs down....:dancy: Well you will be joining the rest of us recovery hippies soon.....

Hi @Barbaraj
Just wanted to let you know I shall be sending healing vibes your way for Monday.
Lessons learned from righty will serve you well.
Have a restful weekend.

Thanks, everyone, I am thankful for an earlier date even if not thrilled with the whole prospect of surgery. I am in much less pain than so many others, and I feel a bit guilty about taking the earlier date when I could easily have waited until August. But it was legitimately offered to me, I'm taking it and off we go! I am a wee bit of an energizer bunny, @Cecropia, or at least one of those "twitchy" folks who does best when kept busy. Still, compared to some I am a complete slug, by personality really, and thankful for days where not much is scheduled. Had my blood draw this morning and then swung by the grocery store on the way home, picking up ingredients for homemade minestrone soup, recipe makes a big vat. Since soup was such an easy thing for my husband to prepare (open can, heat and serve) I am hoping that having homemade soup, where I can choose what to put into it, will be just as easy and tastier for me. I'll also show him how to make bread next Tuesday. I have that easy recipe (4 ingredients) where you can keep the dough in the fridge for a week or two, and then form and bake loaves as needed.

And thanks, @Ptarmigan, for the recommendation of Shakespeare in the park. You were channeling my ex-sister in law who also told me about this opportunity. I appreciate the suggestion! Need to get outside this afternoon and do some hard core weeding. Since I won't be doing that for many weeks, getting a head start is probably a good idea. Next year when I will--god willing--be fit as a fiddle I will be able to stay on top of the weeding with short daily forays into the garden instead of these marathon sessions periodically which make my back ache. Argh! But onwards...

Last edited:
Hello! I just came inside from guess what? Doing a bit of yard work.. :heehee: Of course I am still limited at what I can do at 18 days post op but I was able to do several things to help me feel like I'm contributing. I actually pulled a few weeds and watered/fertilized my garden plants. It felt so good and I'm hoping you will be posting something similar soon, too!! Well anyways.. I wanted to pop in and say hi and hope you are enjoying your weekend.. it's a gorgeous one, here.. :flwrysmile:

Edited to say: P.S. pace yourself out in that yard!!

ooh. just four days!
I love Italian Wedding Soup so what a great idea to make and freeze ahead along with some homemade bread!
I do have a hubby friendly bread book
As foccacia is mostky made by bread machine I do believe he can do that

@Barbaraj you are seriously working way too hard! Take some time and just relax a little before the surgery. You and the hubby will adapt and overcome whatever you need to after surgery. Have a peaceful and restful weekend!
:thumb:

Good luck next week! You've got this all under control. Have read your calm wisdom all over this board and appreciate your knowledge. Now you get to put your experience into practice again! My OS said my non op hip has 'a lot more mileage on it' but I know how fast OA can go downhill. Hopefully I won't be doing a double for a long time but, if and when, you give me strength! Sending good karma for #2. :angel:

Good luck next week @Barbaraj
Excited for you to walk upright with your matching set of new hips!
You are a pro, you’ve got this.
Rest up, you will be glad you did.

See you on the recovery side very soon. ❤️

A very pleasant Sunday morning here in my neck of the world, a day stretching out with exercise this morning followed by trivia tonight. Husband is already gone, out there jocking out with my brother. I've been able to make coffee, scan the morning newspaper, and throw in a load of laundry as my contributions thus far. Again promising myself I'll get out there and do some weeding as it didn't happen yesterday. I ended up at the fabric store buying some plasticized material (the kind you see on outdoor picnic tables) to make a cover for our firepit--the old one was in tatters). I am definitely not a good seamstress so it's kind of wonky looking, but it fits more or less and will get the job done--plus way less expensive then buying a new cover from a big box store!

I am amused by all the comments above, urging me to slow down and rest up before Wednesday's surgery. This seems just crazy to me as I realize that post-surgery, after a day or two once I emerge from the fog, I will start getting restless and crabby that I won't be able to race around. Doctor's orders last time, which I'm sure will be repeated this time, will be "take it easy--no exercise for 6 weeks other than a bit of walking". Forced inactivity is hard for most folks, I suspect, and while I promised myself last time to be patient and try to get into a more Zen-like state, I often failed miserably and felt cranky and mutinous as a result. So, I feel as if I'm stockpiling activity in advance of surgery at the moment and, really, I'm not doing all that much! Plus, this time around it's sitting that really aggravates my hip pain, not buzzing around. But, still, appreciative of your concerns and postings on my thread!

Soooo hating this nasty nasal ointment twice a day. It's not bad at night as I'm on my way to sleep, but I put it in a couple hours ago and it just feels like my nose is running constantly and yet I can't really blow my nose as I'm assuming this stuff is in there doing something positive. Ugh, anyone use this stuff and have ways of coping other than whining about it as I'm doing? I realize it's just for a few more days but so irritating!

What wonderful news @Barbaraj that you have an earlier slot! I was like you working like a dervish before the enforced rest :heehee:
What is the nasal stuff for ?

Your day is nearly here! It’s great you were given an earlier slot as the waiting is the hard part. Have you thought of any “quiet” activities you can do during those first few weeks as you recover? Maybe a couple good books, a puzzle book, jigsaw puzzle, crochet, knitting, sewing, etc? Even inviting a friend over to visit is an option or if they are not nearby, a chat on the phone works to pass the time. I had a couple books lined up but I found I couldn’t concentrate very well the first ten days or so after surgery so I spend endless hours in my IPad and in BS. By then I could easily get to my sewing machine and started sewing with breaks to take a short walk periodically. I did also read the books but the sewing really helped me through. Like you, I have a hard time just sitting without doing something. Even if I have the tv on, I have to be working on something with my hands. I’m sure you’ve already given this much thought since you’ve already been there, done this before. Sending good wishes your way and will look for you in the recovery side shortly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom