Guest viewing is limited

Gearing Up for Round Two

Hi, there, @Fiona444, the nasal ointment was something I got last time, too. It is because I am a carrier of staph, not the really bad kind (MRSA) but the garden variety sort. I've never had a staph infection in my life and was mortified when they told me I was a carrier last go-round. But I guess a good chunk of the population are carriers, or so they assured me, so before surgery I have to use this stuff twice a day in the five days leading up to surgery. I am a compliant patient and really just whining about it.

@GrannyC, thanks for stopping by and for thoughtful comments. Yes, I know I will struggle with boredom the first week or so as I am an active person and the forced inactivity is hard. I tried reading but concentrating was difficult last time and I watched an inordinate amount of bad daytime TV which had the advantage of making the time pass even as I was embarrassed at the dreck I was consuming! I had my cell phone in bed with me, and was able to text or email friends and family which helped to pass the time but, in the end, it's just something I know I'll have to power through! At least when I ditched the walker, fairly early on, I was able to stand up and walk erect which felt great. Of course, walking exhausted me but being able to do so without my little old lady hover over the walker was a terrific mood booster!

Today is Monday, so just today and tomorrow to go. I am expecting a call from the anesthesia nurse at some point, along with a call from the hospital about when to report on Wednesday. I am really hoping for an early morning report and the first surgery of the day. I am not nervous because I have no idea what to expect like I was last time, all nerves are focused this time on the fact that I DO know what is going to happen on Wednesday! The anxiety isn't for the unknown but really the certain knowledge of major surgery followed by a several month slower than I'd like recovery. I am as ready as I'll ever be, but will try to find things to do to keep myself occupied and distracted. The spoons in my hanging spoon rack should maybe get polished...
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj i wondered if it was something like that. At least they chack thse days and it can be dealt with.i really struggled with the last couple of days before my op so i hope yours go beautifully smoothly and look forward to seeing you on the other side :ice:
 
o my. The spoons need to be polished?
Come to my house. The whole house needs polishing!
O I forgot! you don't have time for that with your hot date coming up :loll:​
 
Ha, ha, @mainegirl1! I must say that polishing silver, like ironing (weirdly enough) is a very satisfying task for me--instant results with very little effort! Having said that, silver doesn't get polished all that often and I try to buy machine wash and dry clothes mostly! Still, gotta figure out something to do over the next few days to help keep me distracted. The advice about trying to slow down and relax, as many have suggested, just isn't a great idea for me--the busier I can be, the less time to obsess and be anxious. Oh, maybe I should wipe down my kitchen cabinets...
 
Last edited:
Hello @Barbaraj :wave: If you'd like, I could help to keep you busy, my house is on week three post op! :rotfl:
I understand your wanting to stay busy, I decided that we needed to clean our attic 2 days before surgery..and Im so glad we did that, I was really sore the day after and I think that helped march me into surgery..
Wishing you the very best tomorrow.. you got this!! :roseshwr:
 
Best wishes for a smooth operation and a speedy recovery without pain.
 
Good morning, all! I can tell it's the day before surgery, as I woke up early this morning (4:30 AM!) and then couldn't get back to sleep again and overwhelming sense of impending doom. Okay, maybe a bit of an overstatement but definitely that anxious "something is gonna happen" feeling. Tried to just lie there and relax but very limited success, so hauled myself out of bed at 6:00 AM finally. Maybe I am just in training, it appears, for my surgery check-in tomorrow morning. Got the call yesterday afternoon and--gulp--I am supposed to be there at 5:30 AM. I wanted early but this is REALLY early! I suspect this means I'll be the first surgery of the day, so will be finished in time for some coffee before noon and then lunch.

Stomach is slightly queasy at the moment, I'm sure it's tension related, but I'm ready to go for the most part. I'd originally planned to make one more outing to the gym today, the last one in a long while, but totally forgot that we were dropping my car off today for servicing. Once my husband dropped me home he headed out so I'm running solo until midafternoon. Will do laundry, I guess, and change out bed and bath linens. Did a final bit of weeding yesterday so caught up for now. I am sure it will be a huge weed garden when I'm ready to tackle it again. Trying to stay positive and busy despite the usual aching.
 
Wishing you all the best @Barbaraj as you head off for your second round of surgery tomorrow. While waiting, you have been so helpful to others on both sides of the forum. Now at last the "time for round two" has actually arrived and it's your turn! I'll be looking out for you over on the other side! :) :-) (:
 
Thanks, @linette333 I know it's "my turn" but sure wished I wasn't even in this game. But, no use whining about that--it is what it is, and I'm trying to think positive. I will absolutely be kvetching and moaning again on the post-op side--see you there!
 
@Barbaraj All the best tomorrow! By lunchtime you will be a member of the doubt hippie club! See you on the other side soon!
 
Thanks, @Jaycey, I guess it's a somewhat dubious honor to be admitted to the double hippy club, but I suppose I need to embrace it now that I am almost there. Will set up my thread on the post-op side at some point today as I know I will have lots to groan and moan about once I'm home and bored with the long slow recovery trudge.
 
@Barbaraj Your turn came a little early, in the end you will be happier to have it over and in recovery. I was surprised after my spinal (on recommendation) from so many people here on bonesmart, I was not nauseous after and enjoyed a nice supper. My first ever surgery. Now I have to hope the other hip stays well, so far good, but don't really want to go through it again. Will if that day comes. Will be waiting to hear your recovery posting when you are feeling up to it tomorrow. Or the next day. After following your posts you'll probably be packing for home tomorrow afternoon. :heehee: Seriously, I hope you feel that good and I think you will.
 
Wishing you the very, very best of luck with your procedure and hospital stay @Barbaraj! it must be kind of strange knowing more of what to expect... I’ll be looking forward to your reports when you’re up to sharing.
 
Miss Barbaraj!

Once, when I was facing an unwelcome relocation, I complained to my father about the time-consuming, tiresome mountain of work I was facing, and under upsetting circumstances, too! He nodded knowingly, patted me on the knee kindly, and said, “Well then, you’ll just have to hold your nose and do it.”

No doubt, tomorrow is a hold-your-nose kind of day. But I see you squaring up to one challenge, chore, errand, engagement, and goal after another, and I am certain that you are more than equal to the task. :) What’s more, you seem to manage all of this with grace and humor and enough good cheer to spread to the rest of us who are lucky enough to share your company.

All the best to you tomorrow! You deserve it.
 
Awww...thanks, @Cecropia, @Rbc and @Ptarmigan! I appreciate all the good wishes and hopeful prognostications for an easy surgery experience tomorrow. You are right, @Ptarmigan, it is definitely a hold-your-nose experience but, like swimming in cold water, you just have to jump right in! Have done a few chores this morning to distract myself, and now that hubby is home, we'll be heading off to the grocery store shortly for provisions. He keeps asking me what I will want to eat, and I am at a bit of a loss, as I have no idea what I'll feel like eating. I'll check the hospital's handout on high fiber foods, as I'm sure I'll need to be chomping regularly on those but my vague recollection is that the first day or so my appetite just wasn't there--I pretty much ate whatever was put in front of me! Thinking seriously about what I'd like for tonight's dinner, however--something delicious, accompanied by my final "last supper" glass of wine!
 
I drove my husband nuts when he tried to plan snd execute a dinner when I had five months of chemo
What I thought would be nice in the AM was totally unappealing at 5 PM

Unfortunately post TKR I ate everything in sight within two hours of waking up from general anesthesia.....
 
Well... here you go girl good luck safe trip to the other side! Here you go!:happyfeet:
 
Best wishes tomorrow! See you on the flip side :wink:
 
Hi there! I have been following your posts and thinking of you and Round 2..... thanks so much for your support to me over the past six months and Good Karma coming your way across the Pond xx
 
Best wishes and don’t worry if you have trouble sleeping tonight because you will be so primed for the healing sleep that you need tomorrow and in subsequent days.
Love that you are planning your “last supper”. Have a safe second journey to the other side.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom