Gearing Up for Round Two

A slow start to my Sunday morning, but a bit stiff and achy from sitting too long in my once upon a time comfy chair which now predictably brings on an intense aching in my left hip and thigh after about 10 - 15 minutes. It really is an incentive to whip through the paper! Will try to do PT exercises shortly, and then may hoof it off to the gym for a short workout in late morning and then out to do some weeding this afternoon.

I was at a party yesterday afternoon, and sat by a woman, clearly younger than me, who revealed she was going for a hip replacement at the end of July. I was happy to fill her in on my experiences (of course adding that "it was so much FUN I'm going back for another!") and we chatted for a good while and she peppered me with questions about my experiences. Unlike me, only one of her hips is arthritic while the other one, according to her surgeon, "looks like a hip a 30 year old would be proud to claim". I think she said that she'd had a serious fall onto the hip a few years prior, the one that's now going to be replaced, which perhaps triggered her arthritis which is now severe and bone-on-bone. So, I'm guessing that once she has the replacement surgery and recovers, she might never need to have a second surgery like me with both hips severely arthritic and no fall to blame it on.

I was feeling, I admit, a bit jealous to hear her story, until she stood up. She was obviously in so much pain, slightly hunched over, limping and wincing with every step. She had a cane she was using but it was clear her movement was slow and painful. And then I felt so grateful because, despite both my hips being toast, I never was in the kind of pain this woman was experiencing. She said she's barely able to get around to do basic chores and she lives alone (although will have some help from friends post-surgery) and she's so eager for surgery as life is pretty unbearable for her at the moment.

So, while it is regrettable that arthritis has attacked both of my hips, I've been able to manage pretty well before surgery and while I do (and did) have a constant ache with hip pain, it is very manageable for the most part with Aleve one day every other week (my treat day!) and no assistive device needed. When I stood up at one point, to refill my plate from the buffet table, she looked at me longingly and said, "wow, it doesn't even look like you have any hip problem". So, just goes to prove that everyone is different and it doesn't pay to be jealous of anyone else's situation. We are all unique. I know, despite having to have two hips replaced, that I am truly one of the lucky ones---coping well before each surgery, loving husband at home to superintend my recovery, and a second (I'm convinced) relatively easy and smooth recovery to look forward to--and fully bionic in 2020! Here's to gratitude and a pleasant Sunday.
 
That's so nice that she was able to ask you question, I'm sure it helped put her mind at ease. Super sweet of you to help her out. I remember years ago someone saying that just because you can't see someone's pain does not mean they don't have it. It was way more eloquently put than that but basically you can't judge a book by it's cover. And I know it's been said on here many times this whole process kind of humbles us and makes us more thankful for what we have.
:angel:
 
Yup, @Elf1, it is a day of gratitude, and hope for better days ahead--and for you, that's going to be a reality starting tomorrow! Best wishes, chin up!
 
Well, after lurking around on the forums a bit for the last few weeks, I decided, with the first of June, that I'd officially hop back on as a participant now that I've got a date for a second hip replacement (left hip, August 19, 2019). For my first hip replacement, I found both the pre-op and post-op forums to be useful outlets for all my scattered thoughts and anxieties, and those who were posting as well as the administrators to be welcoming, kind and supportive.

I had my first hip replacement surgery September 26, 2018, and was so looking forward to having months if not years of comfortable, relatively pain-free living before I had to have my second replacement. Both hips were arthritic but the left one had given me no problems before surgery. Now I realize that is probably because the right was so deteriorated, a level 4 and bone-on-bone, that any aching and complaining was drowned out by the right hip's whining. But as recovery progressed after the first surgery, it became increasingly obvious that the left one was in bad shape, too. I tried PT, which certainly helped with regaining some strength and flexibility for my right hip, but the left hip's aches and pains kept getting in the way. They finally "fired" me from PT, saying that I had exercises which I could (and should) continue to do regularly to continue working on my right hip, but that until the left hip was replaced I was still going to have problems, particularly as it continued to deteriorate.

I had determined that I was NOT going to think about a second hip replacement until at least a year following the first surgery. But as my left hip grew ever more uncomfortable and achy, and my husband urged me to at least talk to my OS, I decided to go ahead with more x-rays and a consultation.

Surprise, surprise--NOT--but left hip is worse, now also at a level 4 and "severely arthritic". I've decided that rather than toughing it out for longer, I should go ahead and just get the darn surgery done. My recovery from the first surgery was fairly swift and unremarkable and I am earnestly hoping that Round Two will be similar. But, of course, I don't know that. I am sure there are those out there who are also facing a second surgery and I'm wondering about your reasoning for moving ahead and, if there are any post-op folks out there who might read this, whether your experiences the second time around mirrored your first replacement experiences or not?

I am feeling discouraged, as if my body has let me down, although I know that is foolish thinking. It is what it is, and I always knew that both would need replacing eventually. I just thought I'd have more time to enjoy a fully repaired hip #1 before looking at having to deal with hip #2. Argh... The only good thing I can say, as I try to pierce through the gloom and my own personal pity party, is that at least this time around I will have a better idea what to expect and will be, I hope, less anxious. I was so freaked out by the whole "sedation/spinal" last time, and now I know that isn't really an issue. Am I looking forward to surgery? Absolutely not! But I will get through it, just as I did last time and then--oh, I hope this is true--I really WILL have a chance to regain strength and flexibility and live without the incessant aching all the time. I really do want my life back.

Sorry this is so long, but if anyone has read my threads from hip #1, you'll know that brevity is definitely not my strong suit. Cheers, and happy Saturday, everyone!

Hi Barbara- you fit my story to a T! Has my right hip done last Aug 8, and just had the left one dine in June 28- 19 days ago! Had the exact same thoughts you did, and couldn’t believe I had to do it again so soon. After my 2nd cortisone injection in the left hip, it became quickly apparent that another replacement was inevitable. Had the very same thoughts you did, but this time I was able to make the decision much quicker. I’m just thankful it held out Long enough to allow the first one to fully heal first. Second surgery was very similar, although a little more painful than I remember the first few days afterwards. So best of luck to you, and no doubt the second surgery will be just as successful as the first!
 
Well, thanks @Small1014! It was good to read about someone who's in the same situation as me although I'm envious that you've already had the second surgery and on your way to a full recovery. I wanna be you! I did get a call in late May about taking a cancellation appointment on June 3, but I couldn't do that as my husband's office had planned a surprise retirement party for him and I simply couldn't do it. If it had simply my own schedule, I'd have taken the cancellation in a heartbeat but, no, it was not to be and I'm still scheduled for my original surgery date of August 19. I will have to hop on your thread and see how it's been for you with Round Two. I am very much hoping this surgery will mirror the other one, smooth and steady (too long, of course, but that is how it feels to everyone regardless). Not looking forward to surgery (who ever really does?!) but want to get it over and done with so I can move on with my life. Thanks for checking in on me, with your encouraging words!
 
Holy moly, Batman! Just got a call from my surgeon's office, and they have a surgical cancellation for next Wednesday, July 17! I paused, took a deep breath and said "YES". So, change my date from August 19 to July 17, I'm going in! I know it's the right thing to do--why wait when I can get it done earlier--but admit to feeling a bit breathless and nervous as the reality is starting to set in. Pre-op appointment is this Wednesday, and hoping to avoid going in for an EKG as I had one less than a year ago, prior to my first hip replacement surgery. Guess we'll need to haul that walker and the toilet riser down from the attic. Time to start doing the nonessential chores like polishing silver and organizing an underwear drawer to get ready for surgery!:shocked: Guess I'll need to cancel that manicure appointment for that afternoon as well.
 
Hey hey!! Great news @Barbaraj ! That still gives you some time to do a few preparatory things beforehand, and then you'll be ready to go! I know I loved getting in sooner and you will too! yay!!:dancy:
 
Thanks, everyone--I am happy to get this over with earlier rather than later. Still not exactly "thrilled" at the prospect of major surgery, but since it's inevitable, why not just get it done so I can hit the recovery road more quickly. I suspect I won't sleep all that great tonight as I obsess over "NOW IT'S REALLY GONNA HAPPEN" but I have done this before so nowhere near as much anxiety as last time. Think positive is my mantra moving forward.
 
Now it’s really going to happen! It’s clear you’re ready for this, and will do brilliantly! I am looking forward to learning from your excellent example!

One thing about compressing your timeline: it will keep you focused on the essentials now and your eyes on the target - both hips done (!) and a recovery that will return you to all you love about your life.
 
Thanks, @Ptarmigan and @mikeycat--always nice to get encouraging messages. I am still reeling a bit about this expedited date, but agree that getting it over sooner isn't a bad thing. Now, of course, I am trying to recall as much as I can how things went with hip #1, and trying to remember what it is that I need to think about in advance. Frankly, despite a real lack of preparation other than mindless cleaning chores (!) I didn't suffer too much last time from my appalling lack of planning. As I said, I will have my husband haul down the toilet riser and walker, along with the walking poles (which I intend to switch over to as soon as humanly possible--sheesh, I hated that walker). I need to make a short list of items to bring to the hospital, like a brush, lip balm and moisturizer (so dry in the hospital) along with my own toothbrush and paste--oh, and a charger for my cell phone! I suppose I should really think about food as well, although I can't really remember being particularly hungry for the first day or two. My husband can always run up to the store if I get a craving for something specific but I am sure we'll manage. With pre-op tomorrow, if there is something I've forgotten and need to do, I'm sure they'll remind you. They will tell me, I know, but I'll be a bit dazed still and will welcome the thick folder with instructions written down. Wow, it's really starting to feel REAL this morning. Despite my fears I'd sleep poorly last night, I zonked out around 10:30 and slept until just after 5:00 when the birds, irrigation system and my bladder decided it was time to wake me up. I will do my PT exercises this morning and hoof it off to the gym in late morning. Intend to try to go as often as I can up until surgery as post-surgery I won't be doing any real exercise for at least 6 weeks, per doctor's orders, plus I do recall that feeling of being exhausted all the time for at least the first several weeks due to energy drain.
 
Last edited:
For me it was the first 2 weeks. I didn't feel myself and felt like a zombie and ill then the turnaround. Didn't eat for those 2 weeks then I got hungry.I had made food for a month but I didn't want my stuff so hubby went out to get things. We have every type of restaurant here and gourmet so that is what I wanted.Those booklets they give you are daunting feels like a tome. Must have read everything 3x. How long do you expect to be there?
 
Hey, @mikeycat, if last time is repeated, I'll be out of the hospital the day after surgery, so next Thursday. I recall the morning after surgery being put through my paces by the OT and PT, walking up a few stairs and down, schlumping along a hallway with the walker, making an "independent" trip to the bathroom and figuring out a successful strategy for getting in and out of bed. I was released shortly before noon and happily on my way home, after a swing by the hospital pharmacy to pick up a ton of drugs for home use.

If I were a good person I would make meals now for freezing, but I'm not that organized and a wee bit lazy, husband swears he'll make me whatever I want (!), and I've surreptiously told friends I'd welcome a meal as I did get tired of canned soup and spaghetti after awhile. And, yep, the materials you're handed at pre-op can feel pretty overwhelming, but I'll look at them and so will my husband as I need him to be up to speed when I am a bit foggy headed.
 
Congratulations on getting moved up. It is a wonderful thing. Just think you will be out of pain and on your way to a pain free life of possibilities again and adventures.
 
:wave:Oh my stars... they bumped you up so you can get on this recovery road sooner and be in a good place in time for all the holidays :yes!:

New double hippy in the house next week:yahoo:
 
Yup, @Mojo333, I'll soon be a double hippy or, as my gruesome son notes, I'll be a genuine cyborg. But I am so ready for this to be over and done. Got a call from the hospital today, confirming some details and asking a few questions. Am thrilled to learn I can actually pop a Lorazepam before I head to the hospital. I have some to ease my white knuckle flying experiences, and they said the small dosage I take for that would be fine before surgery, pill plus tiny sip of water. It won't completely relieve the anxiety but it definitely takes the edge off so I won't be a total basket case of nerves before surgery. Whew... Pre-op appointment tomorrow and presumably some more X-rays. Things are really moving along.
 
@Barbaraj So happy for your new date, you short-timer! Have followed (and learned much from) your posts and you have such a wonderful attitude that I'm sure you will ace this. Will be thinking of you on the 17th and look forward to reading your recovery posts.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom