TKR Freedom's right knee<

@Floridagal, so true Amy Jo. And like you, I wish everyone of the mills could be shut down! Such sweet creatures should never have to exist like they do there.
 
@sistersinhim , awe thanks for those kind words.

Like most mill rescues, Tasha was initially afraid of everything. These dogs have never walked, let alone walked on gravel, grass, concrete, hiking trails. When first rescued, their feet are splayed, as they are used to standing on the caging. It takes about 6 weeks for their feet to heal and for those toes to close up again. And at first, any movement scared her - a bird, a squirrel, and she would back out of her harness and take off. I tried so many different harnesses, ended up with 2 on her, to keep her safe. After about 6 months, something scared her and instead of running away, she came to me and put her front legs up on my legs. What a breakthrough moment! Of course I picked her up!

That is an example of how the rules differ when you are working with a mill rescue. A normal pet dog, you are not supposed to pick them up, you let them learn to stay down, stay with you, it is alright. With mill rescues, you need to show that sign of trust is well deserved. Even now, she has been with me 5 years, and I will pick her up the moment she asks.

For mill rescues, it is a life long rehabilitation; they never completely get over those early years.

@Floridagal, the worst of the mills are run by the Amish. Just horrible, their religion teaches that they have dominion over all animals. The abuse their horses get is also terrible; they keep the local ACOs busy. (ACO = Animal Control Officer). And there are quite a few illegal puppy mills: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Missouri and Texas are well known for this. However, many mills are licensed! The Dept. of Agriculture licenses them, and they are huge concrete warehouses with stacks of cages, often 600 dogs in one site. Like any government agency, the Dept of Agr. is low on inspectors; the ones they do have are kept busy with facilities involved in the food chain, so the dog and cat mills seldom get any attention.

Even after all this time - 5 years - I still often tear up when I see my girl Tasha running free, big smile, happy, in an open field. To think all her puppy energy was confined to a small cage. Then I remember she is one of the lucky ones, and I smile as I watch her romp and enjoy life to the fullest. The way God meant her to be.
 
I rear up just reading about this. I wish I could do something about it, too, But I have no where for a dog. Maybe I can donate to something. You have really given me something to think about! I have donating to the SPCA and the Humane Society, but these mills need to be stopped!
 
Lucy - LTKR Jan 20. Ethel - RTKR Jun 1. Really can't see the 4.5 month difference any longer! Oh sure, Ethel still has some improvements to make, at 10 weeks she is not yet as flexible as Lucy. Lucy just needs to work on going UP stairs, everything else is great!


[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 
Hello All,

Things have been going well. I seldom think about the left knee. Right knee still has a sore area on the inside of the knee cap when I get up from a chair. Finally, I will be returning to the Y for exercises, next Wednesday. Was doing stairs ok, up with the good, LEFT being the good. And then Sunday arrived.

Well, since Sunday I have had major pain from the left hip. I think it is the hip. I can't walk properly, I limp, because I can't make the full extension of the left leg . .. serious pain on the upper inside of the leg. Sometimes pain goes up into groin area, usually not. Tried walking the dogs yesterday, had to give up and return to car, I could not stand the pain. The limping resulted in me also having horrible pain on the left back at the waist. This is definitely NOT to do with the knee, the pain is nowhere near the knee. I can't believe this, a THIRD replacement in my future???? I was going fairly well going up stairs, and now I can't. See, my right knee was Jun 1, so the left was the GOOD leg . . . you know, up with the good? Except since Sunday the left leg can't get me up at all the pain is horrible.. So I have to go up with the right first, holding both handrails and pulling myself up (right not quite strong enough yet, definitely improving). Putting on socks and shoes has become a challenge, for the left foot.

I've known this left hip had issues for almost 30 years. The hip is a ball and socket joint. Right moves fine; left the ball is never in the socket, it is too far back, so the entire pelvis moves. I was told never to do long distance running / marathons (not a problem! Ha haa).

Thing is, I did NOT fall, I did not do a thing, no idea what triggered this on Sunday!!!

On Monday, I have a follow up with my OS, for my right knee. At that time, I will discuss my left hip. I had stopped taking meds, for the knees. Now this. As of returning home from the dog walk yesterday, I am taking Tylenol ES and Ibuprofen, they help a bit. Will it be OK if I keep taking them till the appointment on Monday? Or should I stop, so the surgeon will see me in full pain mode? (I've already called my primary care physician's office, I have the referrals in with the OS, so they said just go and discuss directly with the surgeon, no need to see PCP first.)

So, can anyone tell me, does this sound like a hip issue? Do I now get to go post on the pre op HIP side of Bonesmart???
 
It sounds like hip to me. I'd wait before posting at the pre op hip side until the OS declares what is wrong. Hopefully, maybe it doesn't mean a THR. It's good that the right knee has made good progress and is not giving you a problem. It sounds like you have enough to handle on the left side. I'd take the meds. Why be in pain? I would hope your OS would believe you when you describe what is going on. If he doesn't maybe it is time to find someone else! Keep us informed on what happens at the appointment.
 
Freedom, I agree with Floridagirl, sounds like hip, especially as you've had a longstanding issue with it.since Tylenol and Advil clear the system fairly soon I would keep taking them if it helps and maybe stop 8 hours before your appt. I would think the pain will still be there when he manipulates your hip in exam. Using your left leg as the "good" leg probably just exacerbated a problem that was waiting to happen. An unintended consequence.

And, a bit off topic, I just read your postings about the puppy mills and I'm devastated that this goes on! Heartbroken for these creatures, didn't know about the Amish attitudes, and didn't realize how severely a rescued dog suffers from lifelong PTSD. SO Happy for Tasha, but there are so many others.
 
Hi @Freedom
I'm sorry to hear about your potential hip problem, especially after all your knee surgeries this year. Be thinking about you on Monday, hope you get answers. I don't know much about hips, but let's hope the surgeon can find out what's going on.
I was reading what you said about your rescued fur babies, and I too want to say what an amazing thing to do, your dedication to them really shines through. When we were looking for our new pup last year I looked at all the rescue organisations, and came across one in West Wales called 'Many Tears Animal Rescue' who mainly rescue dogs from the puppy farms in that area. I would ban them outright if I could. I read about everything you describe with your Tasha, how it's almost a lifetime rehabilitation for those poor little creatures. It takes a very special person to provide that kind of care.
Wishing you all the best.
Tabby xxx
 
Tabbycat, thank you for searching the rescue organizations.

Thank you all. I will update after Monday's appointment.
 
I love you knee-names!

Just wanted to say how much I admire you for caring about our furry friends. Wonderful.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Saw surgeon this morning. LTKR Jan 20, RTKR Jun 1. Do not have to return for 6 months! I seldom think about the left knee. The right is more recent so still a few "ouch!" yelps now and then, but getting better daily. We also xrayed my left hip as it is acting up again. OsteoArthritis, but too early to do much except meds. Which confused me as I am limping all the time due to the pain from the left hip.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (4) (Small).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 191
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (5) (Small).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 166
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (6) (Small).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 169
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (7) (Small).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 167
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (8) (Small).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 161
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (1) (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 175
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (2) (Small).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 172
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    2016-09-12 Hip n Knees (3) (Small).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 157
First day back at the Y, went this morning. I swear, someone should write a book of all the funny things we encounter!

I do circuit training, and as I need to strengthen my leg muscles, I headed over there first. Went through the leg machines, and then to the upper body machines. Getting in and out of some of them requires a bit of thought just now, but no big deal. Eventually, I was on the Lat Pull Down. Did my 10 reps, and . . . discovered I could not get up! I still need my hands / arms to get up. The weight I used was not enough to pull me up, and if I released the bars, the machine would slam down possibly breaking the weights. I had to holler for help! :heehee: A very nice man came over to see what the issue was, then once I explained, he took the bars and let the weight ease and not slam. I was then able to do what I'd been doing on the other machines, hold on and lift myself up.

Goodness, I better get these leg muscles in shape! I don't want to have to holler for help every time!
 
I can picture me doing the same thing. Maybe I will wait a while b4 trying that. Thanks 4 the warning!
 
I hope someone can answer this question. It is making me crazy!

I have pain in the right leg just below the knee. Ever since I saw the xrays back on Jul 12, I have it in my head that the lower part was put in at an angle, and that is what's causing this pain. I know they drill the bone, and hammer the part in, and that could be all I am feeling, and in time it will be less sensitive, will heal, and I won't have the pain any longer.

I seem to think (and I don't know why, I don't have any basis for this!) that the left, the stem/ post is in the center of the bone where there are no nerves for sensation, while the right, the stem / post is off center and into a part of the bone where there ARE nerves for feeling. I mentioned this to the surgeon once, at the last meeting on Sept 12, but I didn't explain it well, and he thought I meant that the bottom part has shifted, so his response was that it has not moved, it is fine. I didn't follow up (yes, I should have!)

The pain is constant, worse if I am on my feet than off, but always there. Of course at this point, I am very active, have been doing a lot of gardening digging holes and such (I've put in over 60 new shrubs starting Sept 3), along with being back at the Y. And at night if I am on my left side, so the right knee is on the top or in front of the left, I have this very strange feeling that the stem / post is pushing forward and going to push right through my leg - and it HURTS! I have to shift position. Does anyone know enough to be able to say this is all in my mind??? I don't mean the PAIN, that is real enough; I mean, my interpretation of the xray, that the lower piece of the implant is in 'wrong' at an angle which is going to cause pain for ever!. Thank you.

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 
Let's ask @Josephine if she will have a look at your X-rays. Do you have one that is taken straight on (AP view), from the front, not from the side?
 
Ever since I saw the xrays back on Jul 12, I have it in my head that the lower part was put in at an angle, and that is what's causing this pain
Having studied the xrays carefully and closely, I can assure you they are in correct alignment and soundly secured. What you see there is an optical illusion caused by a slight variance in the angle of the xray machine between the two knees. A frequent problem, I can assure you. But experienced readers of xrays learn to take that into account and see past it.
I know they drill the bone, and hammer the part in, and that could be all I am feeling, and in time it will be less sensitive, will heal, and I won't have the pain any longer. I seem to think (and I don't know why, I don't have any basis for this!) that the left, the stem is in the center of the bone where there are no nerves for sensation, while the right, the stem is off center and into a part of the bone where there ARE nerves for feeling.
Oh this bit made me chuckle! It does seem like your reasoning is perfectly logical but I can assure you that it has no basis in reality!
The pain is constant, worse if I am on my feet than off, but always there. Of course at this point, I am very active, have been doing a lot of gardening digging holes and such (I've put in over 60 new shrubs starting Sept 3), along with being back at the Y.
Digging holes, eh? And would I be I correct in assuming you are using your right foot to push the spade into the soil? I think that's the 'root' of your problem - pardon the pun! But in all seriousness, please consider that this knee is not yet 16 weeks out and thus a rather too early to be doing such rigorous stuff. So my recommendation is, stay out of the garden! (of course, with autumn gaining momentum, I expect you will anyway!)
 
Whew! Oh my THANK YOU yet again, for saving me unneeded anguish!

Digging holes, eh? And would I be I correct in assuming you are using your right foot to push the spade into the soil? I think that's the 'root' of your problem - pardon the pun! But in all seriousness, please consider that this knee is not yet 16 weeks out and thus a rather too early to be doing such rigorous stuff. So my recommendation is, stay out of the garden! (of course, with autumn gaining momentum, I expect you will anyway!)

I AM right dominant, but have been alternating (using the left up on the shovel) for this reason. Guess it is not enough. Well, the project is just about done.

I am xeriscaping 3/4 of my yard - no more grass to mow, fertilize and water! Putting in native drought tolerant plants, and mulch. The only grass will be in the fenced in back yard -- I enjoy sitting out there, and the dogs are out there. So is the shed, where I keep the lawnmower, so I will be able to take it out, mow, and put it away in 10 minutes or less. That is the plan, anyway! Oh, and all the new shrubs are dwarf varieties, so I do not have to climb a ladder to prune them once they mature. My remaining task is to water everything and get them established -- need the roots to get down deep before winter frost. The watering will have to continue all through next Spring - Summer - Fall as well.

I have a company coming in to put down the mulch, as I need about 32 cubic yards!

I will say, I have improved ROM a LOT with this project, digging, hauling bags of cow manure, peat, and compost, shifting the wheelbarrow, and so on.
 
I'm so relieved that your fears were unfounded, thank God for Josephine and her expert knowledge! Your garden project sounds great, and making everything manageable is very sensible. I hope your knee pain eases up soon.
Tabby xxx
 
Thanks @Tabbycat the knee surgeries have been a wake up call, I am not getting any younger. This way I won't have to spend as much time on the lawn. Can do other things. Add in climate change, and it made sense to do this, for me.

Yes, Josephine specifically and Bonesmart community in general have been a wonderful aid for me several times!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom