Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom's right knee<

Well when you're out cold the muscles won't resist in pain as they're stretched. I didn't have an mua but I know I had pulled muscles after my surgery. They test the implant through its range during the surgery--but I had years of limited ROM pre surgery so those muscles weren't used to stretching that much.
 
LTKR Jan 20th. RTKR Jun 1. Left lost some flexion while recovering from second surgery, which is normal. Less use, and when it was used it was compensating, picking up more of the job, so it swelled more. ANYWAY, I want to say this: Every day I discover something else I can now DO! I have not used my leg lifter in some days. Finally, when I shower, I am able to lift leg over tub without it! I get in and out of bed without it!

I don't use the walker now at all, and seldom use the cane! I can get up from the one chair I use, easily! Have not tried the recliner as yet (I was stuck in it, first night home from rehab, couldn't get up, weak leg muscles). Inhome PT had helped me set up one chair in the living room so I could sit and get up on my own.

I am a stomach sleeper. I woke at 2 AM Saturday (for a bathroom trip) . . . on my tummy!!! First time since the second knee was done!

This is a very exciting time! Stamina also increasing, though still get tired sooner than would be normal. Sunday I even tried getting up off the toilet without using my hands on the arms. Ouch! Not ready for that just yet. I still have the commode over the toilet so I have a raised seat with arms, I will keep that in place a while longer.

A friend of mine responded: "Isn't it amazing how we do things thinking everything thru first before actually doing it?! Then the time comes when we do something and all of a sudden we are aware we just did it without thinking about it?! That's called progress!!! " I tried sleeping on my stomach twice, once week 4 (ouch!), again week 5 (uncomfortable). Then it just happened! I would plan each and every trip out of bed - to the bathroom and back, to the kitchen, to let the dogs out, whatever. Now, I just do it - no thinking, no planning required.

I am just about 7 weeks post op for the second knee. It takes TIME. We all need an extra large helping of PATIENCE during this recovery. IT HAPPENS!
 
Oo, boy! Since you can do it, I'm going to try sleeping on my tummy, too! If I can do that, then I can work on my extension by handing my legs over the side of the bed on my tummy! You have given me encouragement to get off my back! Good for you @Freedom! You are so right. It's the little things that are finally being doable!
 
Then it just happened! I would plan each and every trip out of bed - to the bathroom and back, to the kitchen, to let the dogs out, whatever. Now, I just do it - no thinking, no planning required.

So happy to hear how well you are doing @Freedom! I loved the above- 'Then it just happened'. That's exactly what I experienced at about 5wks. One day I felt like a victim of major surgery, the next- I'm moving around without pain, doing things inside and out without even thinking about it! It's amazing!

Thank you for sharing your success with us! You are so inspiring!!
 
@Freedom I love reading about your progress, it's such a great feeling when we get a little bit of ourselves back, sometimes it feels like our knee is holding us hostage, we have to do everything on her terms, and it's definitely a victory when we can say,see I did it, I'm taking my life back and soon you will have no control little knee, enjoy it while you can.

Enjoy your success and keep us posted!!!
 
Question. How do you know when to moist heat, and when to use dry heat? I know "feed a cold, starve a fever," is there something to tell you when to use which form of heat? @Josephine

Showers. I am still using the bench, I can lift my legs over the tub fine. I have the hand held shower and use it while seated (eventually I will be standing and leave it in the holder as a regular shower). The last 3 times, I have made a point of putting the warm water over both knees, the sides, the backs. I do that a few times while I am letting shampoo sit, conditioner, etc. I notice both knees are VERY comfortable and bendable getting out of the tub, and for at least 2 hours. I think I want to use heat, not cold!!! Would I use a warm water bottle, rather than a heating pad? Would it matter? Is it just, "try and see what works for you?"

If I could, I'd be in that shower 3 times a day just now, just to warm the knees and loosen them up, it feels SO good when I get out!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted that question to Josephine on my thread, where I go for PT, there is a gentleman, he is a radiologist, his surgery was at the same time as mine, he said he applies gentle heat and it helps him with the stiffness on his knee. I can't wait to read Josephine opinion.
 
I have NO idea what I did. :chinstroke: About 7 PM, right leg started with shooting pain, from about 2 inches below the knee, on the outer side, shooting up to the knee cap. About one every 7 minutes, brought me to tears every time. I took 3 Tylenol ES and 2 Ibuprofen. No help. I tried ice and elevate. 3 pillows, 2 pillows, one. On left side, on right side. Finally got to sleep after 3 AM. Naturally, had to get up at 4 AM to pee. :gaah:

More tossing and turning and shooting pain, finally dozed off around 5, only to have the dogs wake me at 6:30, "gotta go out!" GRRRR. I am exhausted. :mcoffee: The shooting pain has stopped, but there is a lingering soreness. Knee is a bit more swollen than it has been.

We are in a heat wave (3 or more consecutive days of 90 F or higher / 32 C). Nice morning, I really wanted to get the dogs over to the park :doggie: for a run, as they've not been in 4 days and they are antsy. Don't know if I should -- for ME -- but know I should for them. And getting them tired and calmed down makes life easier on me.

Well, that's my vent for the morning.
 
For me, I think those shooting pains are nerves reconnecting. Thankfully, they have never lasted very long for me. They are most uncomfortable.

If you don't have TED hose but want something to provide support, look for thigh high support pantyhose. They can help.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I'm sorry you had such a rough night, I hope today is much better and the pain is gone all together.
 
@Freedom That sounds just like the tendinitis I was dealing with a couple of years ago. Excruciatingly painful when you get those spasms. I'd say close to 10 on a scale of 10.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You may be right, FlaGranny. The description of the pain lasted much longer than the reconnecting nerves I was thinking of.

Freedom, I hope you're feeling better this morning.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I took the dogs to their park, they had a grand time! :egypdance: Dropped them off at home, then went to Lowe's, Home Depot, and the supermarket. Just got back, all unpacked, dogs have had lunch, and all of us are now ready for :sleeep: NAPTIME!!! I will ice :ice: and elevate initially. The pain seems to be gone! :thumb:
 
I had something very similar about 2 weeks ago. I had terrible shooting pains which lasted for a couple of hours or so. I blamed it on a storm that came through. A few nights later we had another storm and my knee was fine. I've not had another occurrence and I hope I don't! It was awful pains and nothing relieved them just time!
 
We did have a storm come through, between 7 and 8. WHY the pain lasted almost all night I don't know, can't blame the storm on that. But I'm with you, sure hope this doesn't happen again.
 
Yesterday, "someone" completely forgot :bignono: she is barely 8 weeks post op. :wowspring: In a way, I guess that is a GOOD thing, means I was (key word, past tense) feeling great. I normally take pain meds morning and night just now, so I took my morning ones. Then, I went out to a store and walked around. :happydance:Up to now I've only done the "HAVE TO" trips - like grocery shopping. Then I drove to another store and . . . walked around. :happydance: Next I went to a garden nursery, asked questions and . . . walked around. :happydance: On the drive to the supermarket, stopped in at the Dollar store and . . . walked around. :happydance: Then to the supermarket for a weekly shop; first time I've done a WEEKLY since Jun 1 surgery. Up to now, just been doing the short lists, every few days. :happydance: Stopped for gas (involves getting out the car :driver: and back in) before heading home. Put groceries away. Ice :ice: and elevate followed by a nice nap. Yesterday evening, I watered the perennials, front AND back yards (I have been doing front one night, back the next night). Realized had to get the trash out to the curb. Took my nighttime pain meds. And off to bed.

Woke at 4 AM in the WORST pain I've had in WEEKS! :oyvey: So bad it took me 15 minutes to be able to THINK and take :idea: pain meds. :chillpill: Took an hour for them to kick in completely. Pain all down my right side, from hip to small toe and everything in between. Also the shin hurt. The dogs :dogsniff: - who all sleep on the bed with me - were very concerned, light kept going on, I was crying :bawl:and :groan:groaning, tossing pillows about under legs, on top of legs, they ended up snuggled next to me :puppysmooze: touching various areas of my body. AND . . . then they let me sleep :sleep: till 8 AM! Normally they need to go out for a pee at 6:30 AM.

I feel good now, :yes: definitely taking an easy day today though. :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, you became a member of that dreaded ODIC! It's no fun, is it? At least you were able to sleep in! You might find that you need at least a couple of days to get over yesterday. I does me. Baby that knee all day long. Ice and elevate! It's good that you're feeling OK now. Just don't overdo for the next few days! You knee will get back at you if you do!
 
Sorry, it's the Over Did It Club. You do not want to be a member of that one! I've been a member a couple of times, and I never want to go back!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom