TKR Freedom's right knee<

Josephine, @Celle kneeper and others: Saw this notation in the vet's 4 pages of instructions, and it fits in well with the Bonesmart Way! "Rest is important for recovery, Tissue at Rest Heals the Best!"

I do not start the PT with Frankie until after suture removal, 2 weeks post op. Between now and then I am to focus on pain control, intake (food, water) and output (pee, poop) and get him on a daily routine of rest, trips outdoors (bathroom trips!), meals and meds, and some little walks to handle all of that. I really like this! MUCH better than the aggressive PT we have for humans!
 
I'd rather have a good vet than a people doctor any day. They really have to listen to the symptoms and be good diagnoses! Even animals need the BS way!
 
Been some time since I was on here. Today I saw my PCP. Going to have an MRI or a CT scan of left hip.

Left hip has been a problem since August - 5 months. I did 'something' to it while recovering from the right knee surgery. Background:

They say to get in bed surgical leg first. This would have required me to move the nightstand with the clock radio, shift the dogs from 'their' spots, so I did not do this. I continued to get in bed left leg first. I would sit on the bed, get both feet up on the chair next to the bed, then swing my left leg onto the bed. At this point I am at least at a 90 degree angle. Then I would get the right leg onto the bed. At first I was using the leg lifter but later I was just swinging the right leg. And that is when, a few times, I did something to my left hip which caused me to scream. I have no idea what I did.

At this point my left leg is much weaker than my right. I go to the Y and ride the bike, use the weight machines. Getting on and off the bike, in and out of the machines, is what hurts. Using the equipment does not hurt. It is something to do with moving my left leg in and out. I can use the leg press at 110 pounds, no issue. But getting on and off that bench is torture! Also hurts stepping in and out of the tub -- you know at some point, you are standing with one foot in and one foot out? That is the position that really hurts.

In addition, I walk with a limp, as I can't extend the right leg from the hip. Too much pain. Yesterday I was miserable and convinced I have some sort of hernia. So called this morning and saw primary care doc today. Of course today, that particular pain was not bothering me. As I walk, often my left leg gives out on me, and I sort of stamp the right foot down to prevent a fall.

I realized I am spending lots of time in bed because of this pain. Hey wait, that is why I had the knee surgeries, I should be pain free by now! Finally, light dawned on this marble head. Can't figure out why it took me so long. And now I am mad at myself for the delay; I had NO deductible on my health insurance in 2016, but in 2017 I have a $1500 deductible.

I stopped going to the Y and walking the dogs for 2 weeks, with no change. So I started both again, though I am not doing either daily. And I find I can't do both in the same day, either. I was doing both in the same day in July and August, and a bit of September.

First thing PCP said was that it sounds like arthritis. Told her I had the hip xrayed Sept 12 at a routine check of the knees, and the surgeon said there is no arthritis there.

I've tried ibuprofen, it makes no change to the pain. (Doc asked what I tried at today's appointment.)

Well, that's my update. Knees are FINE, right leg is fantastic, no issues. Thanks for reading.
 
I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble with your hip. I wonder if some of it isn't from your back as well?

I hope that the scans reveal what is the problem.
 
Quick update: I need a new left hip. So I am now on the hip forums here on Bonesmart.

Also. Someone mentioned that, if you are cremated, your implants will not be reduced to ashes. The Funeral Director will ask family member what they want done: implants in a box and returned to them; disgarded; other. Who even THINKS of these things! LOL
 
Oh no, that's something I never thought of until now! Too bad we can't donate them.
 
That's not something l would have thought of either. Don't know what l would like to have done with mine afterwards - framed and hung on the wall, perhaps?! The way the NHS is going, perhaps l ought to bequeath them!
 
When I had my revision from a PKR to a TKR, I asked to have the original implants returned to me.
It was interesting to look at them at first, but they aren't a thing of beauty - certainly not worthy of framing - and I eventually threw them away.
 
Hello, here I am, 2 years and a month post op on left knee; which was my first of 3 joint replacement surgeries.

I had a hard time with this knee immediately post op. I swear, there is something wrong. It still swells - in fact when I wake in the morning it is usually about the size of a soft ball. Pre op I had the feeling of a water balloon being wrapped all around my knee; I still have that feeling. When I lie on my back, legs straight and together, this left knee goes much flatter . . . almost but not quite bending backwards. And pain? On a pain scale it is only a 2, but it is constant. Never stops. When I am upright and walking, I look down and, this left leg is not right. I am not looking straight down the leg, as I am with my right. The leg curves inwards, and out again, it curves at the knee. It is slight, but obvious. I can't walk 2 miles yet! And forget standing still, even shuffling my feet I can't stand long as the pain does increase.

Just not sure what to do at this point. Return to the knee surgeon? I'm not due to see him again until June of 2020. Discuss w/ my hip surgeon? I see him June of this year; he also does knees, did not do mine. (The surgeon who did my knees does not do hips.) I already told him once, "I have two right legs!" He said the bend was at the knee, nothing to do with him. He also said it wasn't possible, the parts are pre shaped, right and left. Dropped it as I was there for my hip check up, so continued on with that discussion.

I am wearing New Balance sneakers which are built up on the inside, for pronation, 12 mm. And STILL my weight as I walk is pushing my ankle in, a LOT, because my weight is not going straight down the leg properly.

Right knee is FINE; left hip is good. Muscles in upper left leg are still weak. I'm beginning to think that may also be somehow related to the knee.

Ideas how to proceed? I am so sick of surgeries and recovery times. Yet all I can imagine is a revision surgery to solve this. Ugh.
 
Great idea, thanks @Pumpkln . Sorry it took so long; I live alone, so had to figure out the self timer on my camera lol. I took 3 photos, and cropped them, and looked at them. Now I am REALLY upset!!! I don't see the knee surgeon again until Feb 2020; don't see the hip surgeon again until June of this year. I guess I need to see someone sooner. I know I have to get referral from my PCP, but who do I go to first? Do I just start searching for a revision specialist? OMG I just can't believe this.

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    knees angle left 003 A.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 184
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    knees angle left 005 A.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
OK @Pumpkln the sneakers are not prescription, they are just what you find in the store. I thought they were 12 mm but I was wrong. The green ones are the model 1260 with 8 mm and the silver / blue pair are model 940 which has a 10 mm drop. You can go to the website for New Balance, and put in 940 in the search box; or put in motion control if you want to see all the models for pronation. I just tried on a few and got what I liked. Edit to add: pre op, I was quite bow legged, both legs.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    knees angle left 011 A.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 157
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    knees angle left 012 A.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 182
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
    knees angle left 014 A.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 183
Well it does show and when I measured it, there is a 10 degree angle from knee to ankle there but I can't tell if it's from the knee or the hip. Might even by both

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 
Thanks, @Josephine . OK so . . . what do I do, at this time? Go to the knee surgeon? Or the hip surgeon? Or someone else? Can't the knee doc say, "not my issue, something happened when you got the hip replaced." and can't the hip doc say, "not my issue, not from the hip." I'm at a loss how to proceed.

I have another surgery in my future?
 
I wish I could tell you, Freedom. I really do. But I am also at a loss because it's complicated. Perhaps you should find a surgeon who does both hips and knees (most of them do) and get an independent opinion from him. You could even take that picture to show him.
 
My hip surgeon does both. And I do like him. Maybe I will start there. To find another surgeon, one who does both, and, I guess who is not in either of the practices where I have been . . . . it gets awfully complicated with our insurance, here.

I will have to work on it. This has been helpful!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom