Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom's right knee<

I understand your drive to get your yard work done. I'm right they with you! But, I have yet to step on a shovel. I don't have that much courage. We are forecasted to have nice cool weather this week and I intend on being out there starting around project. But, I hope there's no shovel involved yet! What helps me is to work about 45 minutes then come in and ice for an hour. These seems to keep the pain level lower. You might want to try that.
 
Hi me again.

Things continue to improve! I am at the Y, using the upright bike, the Expresso bike, again! Have the seat at my normal setting! First quarter mile is still awkward and jerky, then I get rolling.

About 2 weeks ago, I lowered the commode; I have the commode over the toilet, as my insurance would not cover a raised toilet seat with arms, but did cover the commode. Remove the bucket, set it over the toilet and voila a raised seat with arms. Anyway, so I lowered it to the seat level. OK. Next step:

Yesterday I sat down (lid closed) to see if I can get up without using my hands. And I sat there, and sat there. NO idea what to do! Did they mess with my brain? Ha haaa. I can rock forward and back -- that is a hip movement. But stand? NOTHING works, no idea how to get up. Finally used my hands and left! Wonder how I start this to get up from seats, toilet and so forth on my own.

FINALLY: I will see if I can find another place to post this, so it gets a wider audience:
Someone on another support page posted about this. For folks with limited ROM, this attaches to the bike in 10 minutes (so they claim!) and allows you to pedal a bike.
https://www.orthopedal.com/

Really a neat idea!
 
@Freedom liked your posting on toilet heights also. I've thought about having the raiser taken off mine that my husband put on, but it does make it easier to get up and down. A few times I've went into the master bathroom to go and that doesn't have the raiser on it and have forgotten when I've sat down, what a shocker, that difference in height. and I know at work I struggle a bit getting up off the low toilet. I will view handicapp bathrooms in a different light for people with disabilities after going thru this tkr. ( thanks for the chuckle, totally understand. )
 
I also had the commode over the toilet and removed the bucket.
I finally got rid if it but I have a fairly high new style toilet. I still have problems in public restrooms without handicapped stalls. I was in one just a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get myself up for the longest time. It took a lot of concentration and effort. I was afraid I'd have to yell for rescue. The ultimate in humiliation.
 
To help with getting up off the toilet, it would help if you practice getting up from a chair without using your hands. Start with a dining chair. When you can do that, try to find a lower chair.
@Pumpkln may be able to suggest an exercise that will help.
 
The best way to practice sit to stand is find a chair with arm rests and a straight back, a little higher than your toilet.
Scoot to the front of the chair, feet under your knees, sit up tall, lean forward, stand up as you feel your weight go into your feet. OK to use your arms to learn.
Be sure to look straight ahead or a little up, where you look is where you will go.

To break it down:
Scoot to the front of your chair, sit tall, lean forward until you feel your weight in your feet. Repeat a couple of times until you increase the awareness of the weight in your feet.
Then progress to standing when you feel the weight in your feet. OK to use your hands during the learning phase, it is all about timing not strength.
Start with hands on the arm rests to push up, then try one hand on same side thigh, then both hands on thighs to help push up, eventually you will reduce the dependency on using your hands.

The people who you see bouncing in their seats at restaurants are trying to stand up before they shift their weight to their feet.
 
"Lucy" is 9 months old today! HOORAY! First knee done, was my left, Jan 20. I seldom even think about it now! I did pull the adductor muscle in the left leg in September, while recovering from the right (that would be "Ethel") so I still have some pain but it is NOT knee related at all!


AND the landscaping project was completed Saturday, the mulch is down, now just sit back and see how my garden grows.

AND my pup Frankie has his first surgery Nov 1 . . . he has bilateral luxating patellas. Frankie will be age 2 on Oct 24. I've been reading the post surgery recovery, oh my, parallels so much of what we go through with a TKR! And I have to be his Physical Therapist! First 2 weeks, limited activity, only on leash, short walks to do business and back to bed rest. Ice for 5 minutes 3 times daily, increases over time to 10 minutes. Bandage will be on for 2 weeks, comes off and stitches are removed (no staples, thank goodness as I didn't have them either). I have to massage the knee, and then gently bend and straighten it. Then we progress to longer walks on flat surfaces, still limited to on leash only - no running, jumping, playing with the other dogs permitted. About week 4 he should be putting all his weight on it at times, by week 6 post op he should be walking properly. Then week 12 post op, he has the other side done. Oh my poor puppa! By next summer, he and I will BOTH be healthy and running and smiling!
 
All the best to Frankie for his surgery on the 1st November. I'm sure you will make a wonderful nurse.
Tabby xxx
 
You can certainly sympathize with what Frankie is going through. Dogs are so stoic. I know he will receive a lot of TLC from you and that will help his healing.
 
Thank you Tabbycat and Floridagal. I am getting more and more nervous as we get closer to his Nov 1 surgery.
 
I understand your nerves. Three years ago my cat Max had to have emergency surgery for a bladder blockage (which can be fatal in male cats), and was at the vets for nearly two weeks. I was out of my mind with worry, there were so many possible complications. But he pulled through, and has been fine since, even though he is now anatomically a girl.
 
Wanted to update on a few things.

1. @Josephine we were talking in the Al Roker thread, but it was off topic. I messed up . . . I confused the quad sparing with the minimally invasive. THAT is what I asked my surgeon for way back when, and THAT is what he said he is not trained in, yet. My mistake.

2. Friday at the Y, I FINALLY was able to get up off that lat pulldown weight machine all by myself, did not have to holler for help. I expected it to take me 4 weeks; it took 6, but I got there! Not a normal 'stand up and get off' as yet, but being independent is a huge improvement!

3. At this point, my biggest problem is my left leg . . . NOT the knee, but the hip pain. When recovering from the second knee, the right, I did not swap sides of the bed; I continued getting in with the left leg first. To swap sides would have upset the dogs, who have their spots and Willy has a melt down if he can't be in HIS spot. Plus it is a full size bed, the night stand is on the side I use most often. Anyway . . . . I would start with both feet up on a chair, move my left (at this point the 'good' knee) on to the bed, now I am sitting in quite the 'split' position. Then I would use the leg lifter to get the right leg on to the bed. Several times I had extreme pain in the left hip, while doing this - pain to the point I would scream.

I had the surgeon xray the hips at the Sept 12 visit, he said it is all fine. To me, this means what I've done is soft tissue damage, which I figured would heal in time. Well, I guess it IS better than it was, but wow it is still quite painful. I can't straighten due to the pain. In other words, I can't lie flat on my back, or on my stomach. I can't walk without a limp, as when the left leg is supposed to be extended behind me, the pain prevent full extension - FROM THE HIP. Again, nothing to do with the knee.

I can reach my right foot, put on socks and shoes, clip my toe nails. Can not do that with the left, do to this left hip issue. I am quite annoyed with myself! The pain is a constant ache as I sit doing nothing, and becomes sharp the moment I decide to move and do anything. It is holding me back from improving my knee ROM, getting back to life as normal, prepping the yard for winter, very frustrating. Since it IS improving, I guess I just need to keep waiting.

Interesting point - it does NOT hurt when I use the weight machines or pedal the upright bike at the Y. Now, getting on and off the bike, in and out of the machines, oh yes then it impedes what I am doing. But the actual exercise, nope, no pain.

So that is my update.

I will close with this: we entered a Halloween costume contest on Saturday; they said if you dress up along with your pets, you get bonus points. Well: WE WON! Frankie is spiderman, Belle is a Butterfly. They tied for 3rd place, each has a ribbon. Willy is the pirate Jack Sparrow, he tied with a Yorkie team (they were R2D2 from Star Wars). 2d place received a ribbon and a huge bag of treats. Tasha is wearing a costume called 'Punky Dog.' Finally, Riley is the Good Witch - she won FIRST PLACE! A ribbon and a $10 gift certificate!

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's right knee<
 
I could just squeeze those adorable dogs. Let me try dressing up my cats. Not a chance! Congrats on your winning! About your hip...have you tried BioFreeze or Tiger Balm rubs on it? Also, I found Flex All helps my other knee that's misbehaving right now. What about heat or ice? I'm sure you have tried all these, but just in case not, I thought I'd suggest them. I hope you have a very much painless day!
 
I will deliver hugs from you, @sistersinhim ! LOL

I can't be bothered with heat, ice, etc. I take the Tylenol ES and Ibuprofen when I am going to the Y, but that is all. And since those don't stop the hip pain, just annoys me.
 
Sorry about your ongoing hip pain, that is no fun. I hope you can find some relief, or that it gradually improves in time.
Great costumes by the way, you deserved to win. Your little doggies are darlings.
"Willy has a meltdown"- that made me crack up!
 
To me, this means what I've done is soft tissue damage, which I figured would heal in time. Well, I guess it IS better than it was, but wow it is still quite painful. I can't straighten due to the pain. In other words, I can't lie flat on my back, or on my stomach. I can't walk without a limp, as when the left leg is supposed to be extended behind me, the pain prevent full extension - FROM THE HIP.
Interesting point - it does NOT hurt when I use the weight machines or pedal the upright bike at the Y
All due to accumulative tendinitis or muscle pain. Just because you THINK it doesn't matter doesn't mean it doesn't! When you use these machines, the negative effect will probably not show up until after you've rested a while. Then it's about a 10 on the Richter scale!
 
Thinking about you today as Frankie has his op. Hope everything goes well and that your experience with the TKR will help you with his rehab.
Tabby xxx
 
Aww thank you so very much @Tabbycat Frankie is being especially adorable this morning; or maybe that is just MY attitude. His recovery will be 10 to 12 weeks. I have sheets of all I am to do - icing, flex and extend exercises, add in heat, short walks of 3 minutes, building up to 20 minutes by week 6 post op. Carry him everywhere first week, no stairs, start with walks on a flat non-slippery surface with NO turns, work up to turns and figure 8'sthen add inclines . Should be putting all his weight on it by end of week 3 to 5 as each dog varies in recovery - yes it is all VERY familiar!
 
I like the animal stories, but don't let them take over the thread. (Best wishes for Frankie's surgery, by the way.)
Did you ladies know that we have a thread in the Social Room, where you can talk about your pets and post pictures, to your hearts' content?
Pets and our recovery
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom