TKR foodiex2's Recovery thread

When is your post-op appointment with your surgeon? It's worth mentioning,to him/her, but probably isn't significant.
Meanwhile, try not to touch where it's sore.

When did you have your surgery? So we can see what you had done and when, without having to go back to your first posts, please will you create a signature, in which you put you surgery and its date?
So there's no confusion over the date, please write the month, like this: TKR 26 October, 2015.
Here's how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi all...another follow up today because of my complications I see Ortho every two weeks for now. So status today at 3.5 weeks is Rom 77 that's not good. Super stiff!!!! I excercise often through out the day in 10 minute increments 4-5 times. The sensitivity on the skin he believes n nerve entrapment of some sort... Didn't write down the name. I will as soon as I have appt with pain Mng ment dr. Injections in the back. Might help. This has been so hard. I keep praying it gets better. Today has been very hard.


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
Wow, so sorry. Someone else here was having a recent problem with some kind of "nerve entrapment", but I can't remember who. Sometimes that ROM comes back slowly, so don't despair. I hope you'll feel better soon.
 
.another follow up today because of my complications I see Ortho every two weeks for now. So status today at 3.5 weeks is Rom 77 that's not good. Super stiff!!!! I exercise often through out the day in 10 minute increments 4-5 times.
Actually, a ROM of 77 at 3.5 weeks isn't too bad. My surgeon doesn't expect 90 until about 6 weeks and you're well on the way to that. He also forbids any formal PT for a month after surgery, and all his patients do well.

Can I suggest you cut back your exercise and concentrate more on rest, elevate, and ice ? The ROM is already there in your knee, but the swelling is preventing it from showing itself.

Don't get trapped into thinking that you have to work harder. For this recovery, Less work = More results.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!

You don't have to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after surgery.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR .
 
It sounds like you might be exercising a little too much. The swelling held me back. When I used ice almost constantly my ROM started to increase.
 
I am sorry. I don't have any answers, just my prayers for a better, more peaceful time. Could you give me some more info on your signature about the Xarelto? I am on that also. PA thinks I had a reaction (I am EXTREMELY sensitive to medications) and that the Xarelto caused a reaction and I had excessive bruising and swelling behind my knee. It also turned red like an infection. I am now on Keflex (antibiotic) for that. If it is too personal, I understand. Thanks.
 
@Timetolive
Xarelto is a blood thinner (it slows down blood clotting) and it's possible that it could contribute to increased bruising. However, that wasn't a reaction to it, just cause and effect, the same as any other blood thinner could have created.
 
@Timetolive xarelto is a blood thinner and I did have a reaction to it. My dr. Called it xarelto leg . I developed a huge hematoma as result. Re admitted to the hospital flushed with IV liquids and put on aspirin, elevated and wrapped leg from toes to groin.


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
@Celle . Thank you my tears have not stopped all day. He was already talking Mua and I just can't literally can not take any more pain at the moment . Both emotionally or physically. I am built pretty tough but this is so hard. I'm going to try to be more positive. Xo


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
((((((((((foodiex2)))))))))) :console2:

I'm sorry you're feeling sad. Unfortunately, that's part and parcel of this recovery journey and you're right in the thick of the "darkest days". It will get better. Allow yourself to cry, because tears are healing.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I think that any talk of a MUA is premature. It's still less than a month since your surgery and your knee had the setback of the haematoma, so it will need to be allowed a bit longer than usual.
In any case, there really isn't any need to try and rush. As long as your knee is making progress, even if it's only a couple of degrees, you are doing all right.

IMHO, doing a MUA before at least 6 weeks is rushing things and expecting too much of a wounded knee.
While it may bring quicker results initially, your knee was probably going to get there in the end anyway, without the added trauma of a MUA:
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)

So, if your surgeon suggests having an MUA next time, tell him that you want to wait for a few more weeks, to see if your knee can improve without intervention. After all, it's your knee and your choice and only you can say what will happen to it. No one can force you to have an operation without your full consent.
 
I'm so sorry because of all you're going to. Cry as much as you need to. I hope you are feeling better soon. :flwrysmile:
 
Awwww...hate to hear you are feeling so down and having a rough time. I agree that the suggestion of a MUA sounds very premature. The extra trauma of the hematoma hasn't helped at all with the swelling, in fact probably set you back a good week!
Please rest and ice! My knee has done surprisingly well and I do absolutely nothing exercise wise in between my twice weekly PT sessions. I do elevate in recliner and ice.
Cry away, it is very therapeutic.
 
Just stopping by to say "good morning" and wish you a day of calmness filled with less pain. Would it be wrong to just take this day and pamper yourself? Just do some gentle movement to keep the knee loosened up and try to rest. Not only have our bodies been assaulted physically, but our hearts and minds have been through so much also. The anxiety leading up to, the fear of the morning, the uncertainty upon waking, the confusion getting meds sorted out, not to mention the new interactions with our family and friends as our roles change. You are prayed for. :console2:
 
Hi @foodiex2 - just stopping by to say I hope you have a better day today. I am a planner too, and was ready to "work hard" to recover fast. That doesn't work in this case - recovery from TKR is a sort of zen experience! I learned that I kind of had to sit back and observe, and let it unfold. This is of course an immense challenge for most of us!

Please be reassured that all your emotional highs and lows are normal, as is the pain, swelling and stiffness. At 10 weeks out I am finally able to look back and note my progress. Please hang in there! :SUNsmile:
 
Oh how I understand how you are feeling! It wasn't until this week that I finally saw some improvement. This past weekend I told my husband that I didn't know how much more I could take. Not like me at all.

THEN it happened....pt was helping me with the dreaded heel slide to get ROM, I told her I do better sitting. Once in a solid chair I could stretch out that knee and bend it with a better ROM. I went from 80* to almost 95* in a week. Maybe you could try sitting on a dining room type chair to see what kind of ROM you get.

Hang in there.
 
Timetolive, New England Librarian, webbie73, Glamg1979, and all my other bone smartie friends. There are no words to express my true heart felt gratitude for your messages and kindness. You all speak my language and these days it seems no one else does...even though they try they can't. Roles do change and that is so hard to wrap my head around,being so dependent is such an emotional challenge. I hope I can make a difference to future bone smarties as much as you all have made to me. Still at a lousy 77 today, was a bit disappointed because I thought it was a bit better but I am not going to get down about it today. I worked hard today at being happy and stretched as much as I felt I could, I also got permission to massage scare with vitamin e and enjoyed that a lot. I feel next week will be my week 80 here we come!!! Hugs to you all!


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
pt was helping me with the dreaded heel slide to get ROM, I told her I do better sitting. Once in a solid chair I could stretch out that knee and bend it with a better ROM. I went from 80* to almost 95* in a week. Maybe you could try sitting on a dining room type chair to see what kind of ROM you get.
That's a very good suggestion.
There's no need to dread heel slides.

I always found that heel slides while lying down are hard to do and very uncomfortable. Sitting in a chair was much better for me, too.

There's more than one way to do heel slides and each way is as effective as any other, so you can just find the way that works best for you.

This article shows several different ways. Heel slides and how to do them
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom