TKR foodiex2's Recovery thread

Yes, I liked the heel slides in the chair better. In sock feet I'd just a couple of times a day sit in a kitchen chair and pull my leg back. You can also use your other foot or a helper to hold it there for a couple of seconds as you can tolerate if you want. I didn't do many at a time--5-10 at most.

One thing to remember is you probably won't notice gains by days--but week by week you may notice some.

I was a slow "bender." I slowly went from about 70-80 and then stalled out under 90 for a couple of weeks--the swelling was stubborn. I got the old MUA "scare talk" from the PT around week 5.

(Even I, the old hand with one tkr behind me, had my moments :unsure: and came here for reassurance at that point). But with lots of ice and a moderate approach to exercises and activity, lo and behold I broke the magic 90 barrier around week 6 and then continued to gain after that.
hang in there.

I used to do my heel slides when I was sitting on the toilet. Our bathroom floor has tiles and I would judge my progress by seeing how far back from a certain line I could make my knee bend. So, at first, I only did heel slides when I went to the loo.

Later, as I progressed to sitting in front of my laptop for short periods, I would pull my foot back under the office chair. That, and short walks, was all the exercise I did for my knee - and I now have full extension and a bend of 125+ degrees.

One week of trying to be more relaxed about pt . More often but less reps more icing which I still do a ton of. Massage of scare tissue 6 or more times a day. Gentle stretching... Letting leg hang but I can't get past 77 I am looking for any advice... I just can't think about a Mua it puts me in tears every time. My pain is minimal unless we try to bend further then it is enough to put me into hysterics. Mind you I am no stranger to pain and have delt with lots of therapy in the past with chronic pain. And have been told by all my docs and therapists I have a high pain tolerance. I own a restaurant and have worked many hours in pain and this is the most difficult thing ever! Any recommendations welcome! Thank you! Trying to stay positive but losing hope.

Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015

One little exercise that I did was to sit in an office chair and put my feet flat on the ground. I would roll the chair gently forward until I felt some pressure---and I would hold it there---then I would scoot back and do it again.

Others have done the same thing by using a rocking chair, too.

I just found this picture. It seems appropriate for people making slow progress:
tortoise getting there.jpg

I found it helpful to do the heel slides while I was sitting on the bench in the shower. I'd let the warm water get my knee relaxed and then I would put the other leg in front of my ankle and gently push it back and forth along the wet tiles. Initially I could only bend so far but every day it got easier until pretty soon I could get my foot all the way under the bench. You may want to try this - there's something about that warm water that relaxes you and makes it less stressful.

There is times when we all seem to get stuck and we feel like we aren't getting anywhere. It is very hard to stay upbeat. I know you've heard hang in there but it will get better. I actually used the electric seats in my car. I got in and slowly let my chair move me forward allowing my knee to bend a little more each day. Also sitting on a bar stool so my leg didn't touch the floor allowed my leg to slowly move towards 90 degrees on its own just using gravity. That was really the only ways I could flex my knee since all my muscles were atrophied from years of no use and I couldn't move the knee on my own.

I did the rolling chair thing too. Another exercise that worked for my first knee was this: I placed a dining room chair sideways next to my sturdy dining room table, put my foot out a comfortable distance, and carefully lowered myself into the chair, with my hand on the table for support. Then I stood up, moved my foot about a half inch closer to the chair, and sat down again. Move slowly, and just do this maybe five times every other day. Don't let it hurt you. Should just feel a stretch.

Editing to add a detail - when I first started this, I put a cushion on the chair for some extra height, as I am tall for a girl - 5"10".

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I've said this to other BoneSmarties having trouble with ROM, but not sure I've said it here. After my infection I wasn't allowed to bend my knee at all and wore an imbolizer for 4-6 weeks. Four weeks constantly (24 hours a day) and two weeks off and on. At every appointment I'd ask whether my knee would bend and he always replied it would bend when we told it to bend. When my OS finally said I could begin non-aggressive bending he said he'd be happy with 90 degree bend. But I just started with walking with a bend in my knee as opposed to straight legged and then gentle heel slides with icing/elevating when I wasn't doing those things. A few weeks into non-aggressive I started riding the bike, just rocking back/forth and that did the trick, 6 days after I started I could go all the way around. This was almost three months after my TKR, so there is hope you'll achieve a better ROM.

Hi all , well I am wishing everyone a very happy thanksgiving and want you all to know how grateful I am for all of you, I might be in a ward if it weren't for all of your encouraging words. So I asked my PT not to measure me for a week this week. I want to visualize where I want it instead of worry about where it is, as I have been stuck at 77 rom . This week I began some treatments with a therapist I trust very much... After adding some ART and laser as well as ultra sound and grastin some gentle manipulation and massage to help with adhesions and scar tissue he got me passively to a bit past 90 I could only get to about an 80 on my own but I'll take it!!!! Praying for 15 more in next couple of weeks so Mua is not needed....but all and all best day yet. No tears today:)

Happy Thanksgiving! Keep the positive attitude going!

Keep up the PT level your comfortable with and you will get ROM back

Slow & steady is better than pain any day.

Two days of zero tears.... Mua will likely be recommended on Thursday . 5 weeks this week and I think my rom in in low 80s . I do feel I made a bit of progress . After sifting through tons of information and trying many things I believe I have discovered slow passive gentle stretching often through out the day seems best . Breathing into it. Having someone assist with gentle resistance or bend. I think I might have gained a little rom. I told my pt I don't want to know the measure everyday... I ll let her know. I'm trying to figure out what right for me. The unknown some days is unbearable. I try to focus on the future and where I want to be or where I see myself. I am a slow bender... I believe it will come slowly and gently. Mua ? Opinions?

I am glad you have come to a place of peace with your ROM and gentle ecercises. Congratulations on your two days of calm. You have been through a lot - it is hard to gain that positive view when things go so wrong. You are in my prayers for wisdom in your treatment going forward.

Hmmm....don't known if I could jump into MUA if I was in your shoes. I like your idea of multiple times per day stretching & breathing.

I hit 10 weeks tomorrow and have not improved flexion much the past two weeks. I have forced additional ROM myself & all it did was cause more pain. Took two days to loosen back up. Granted I am beyond 120 but hit a wall recently.

Check out @tigz thread. She had an MUA with success, but was farther out than you I believe. I gained ROM slowly a year after my TKR. Originally my OS said he'd be happy with 90 bend ( I had complications & a 2nd surgery a month after TKR) I'm not sure what I have but it's enough to squat in the water.

I think it's too early for a MUA.

Honestly, all this stressing to get ROM isn't doing you or your knee any good.

Instead of trying different things at PT to get ROM, can I suggest you cut right back on everything and especially on the exercises and PT? Give your knee a complete rest for a couple of weeks. Do lots of rest, elevate, ice .
Just walk around a little bit and do a few (very few!) Heel slides and how to do them .

What you've been doing so far hasn't worked, so you have nothing to lose by trying something different.

@foodiex2 it seems extremely early for an MUA. I agree 100% with @Celle to just relax. I am a month out at 115 flexion and honestly I did nothing other than rest, ice and elevate and trips to the bathroom, I mean I did zero!! I trusted in the many experienced souls on here that had been through it all. I did the hospital PT which was basically to get me functional, went home and didn't start in home PT for another 10 days. Only time my knee got a workout was with therapist and if they pushed too hard I canceled my following appointment until the swelling went down. Please give it a try before even considering a MUA.
PT pushed for 3-4 sessions/week and I would only agree to 2. Give your knee time to recover from all the trauma that was done to it and PT continues doing.
Good luck!

My OS was looking for 90 flexion at 6 weeks out but I didn't have a large hematoma that you had. It took extra time for that to go away. I think you seem on target. I hope everything goes well from this point out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom