TKR foodiex2's Recovery thread

Thank you my friends... I can not begin to express my gratitude to all of you for being there to answer me with advice and encouragement. I am so used to having a plan, working hard = results this just seems so out of my control. I am trying and most days to succeed in patience, I strive for grace and thinking in a positive manner with faith... It seems about a day or two a week I just have such a melt down and hope is hard to find with the people who have no idea what you are actually feeling. You have all saved me from hopelessness today, and many others. I am going to strive to be more positive and try to let go of the control. Thank you friends. I will do my best to help any and all I can as well. Much gratitude. Juls


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Awwww @foodiex2 I know what you are feeling, but reading your last post it seems like you are doing some better and that is a good thing. I seem to remember you own or manage a restaurant so you are probably a very driven person and it has been hard losing your independence. The tears of frustration are going to come and you can expect more, but the tears will help relieve stress and frustration. I had my surgery 2 days after you and my knee is swollen and has poor flexion due to some aggressive PT on Thursday. All weekend I have done nothing but rest,elevate, ice and get up to the bathroom. No exercises and will most likely cancel Tuesdays session. Most importantly you are not doing anything wrong, be patient and kind to yourself.
The hematoma was very irritating to your knee tissue and having to be readmitted must of been scary and traumatizing. I think a good cry or two is in order!! It's gonna be fine
 
@Glamg1979. You are so thoughtful. I appreciate the advice and kind words more than I can say! I've been so worried and not sleeping well. I need one good night sleep. That would do wonders. You sure are kind if you need anything you be sure and let me know


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Meltdowns will happen, but truly the best thing you can do is rest the knee and do some gentle heel slides. In a few weeks you'll be able to use an exercise bike and feel a sense of accomplishment. I needed a schedule because as a teacher, my whole day is on a schedule. So a time was set aside for stretching, heel slides, showering and after a few weeks I could dust, make small meals and by week four I put chicken in a crock pot! TKR recovery is long and it's best to look for results after a week rather than a day. I also relied on my faith and spent a good deal of time praying. Sit back today and enjoy the view from a window or a football game. Deep breaths...
 
@KarriB thank you I am a believer and also pray a lot... And being from Green Bay today is a Great day for football! I found that the more I use my walker to just do laps around the house and driveway before stretching it seems a bit easier to get a better bend. I'm just trying to take all the advice I get and see what works for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@foodiex2, we are about on the same time line with our new knees and to my surprise this has not been easy! I had one very agressive PT in rehab you decided how much my knee should bend and bent it! OMG I didn't even have a chance to stop her. Now that I am home I have a fantastic group working with me to get my muscles and rom. In a very gentle way.

I have meltdowns for no reason. Frustration and having others do things for me drive me crazy.

I am never pain free and have a broken sleep pattern but I am seeing improvements!! They are slow.

Hang in there
 
Enjoy the game today. I'm watching my Steelers and taking some Tylenol because I fell on Friday night and now my whole body aches, including both my knees.
 
Thinking of you and best wishes again, @foodiex2 . I want you to know that your openness and honesty is probably going to help a lot of people reading this in the future. I have gotten so much from all the support people are giving you and trying to take it to heart. I hope it may help ever so slightly to know that by sharing yourn journey, you are and will probably help many many people. Send healing energy your way!
 
@foodiex2 I am a male and had a number of lows the first 3 weeks that included tears.

99% of us experience the sleepless nights, fatigue, naseau, bad day after a good day etc.

I am at 8 weeks & working but still have bad days that seemingly come about for no reason.
 
I agree that the blues are a very real part of recovering from anesthesia and major surgery. But, this is a good time to look at recipes and think about cooking. You can spend some time exploring other cuisines!!
 
I just wanted to stop in and wish you a restful night. I also appreciate your candidness. When someone else has gone through the same or similiar thing you are dealing with, it makes it less scary. May your dreams be filled with the peace of an Almighty God that has His healing hands on you.
 
I hope you start to feel better every day. It truly is a roller coaster ride. I've had ups and downs but the ups eventually start to outnumber the downs. We've all been there. You seem to know what's best for you. You elevated your knee and had ice on it from the beginning. We can't will our knees to get better, but it will on its own schedule. So hang in there!
 
I keep forgetting to mention this--sorry, I am old!!---but several people on the forum have mentioned that they take Tylenol PM at night and that it does help them sleep.
 
am so used to having a plan, working hard = results this just seems so out of my control.
This is something that take many of us by surprise---that we find out that hard work, in a TKR or a BTKR recovery, does not equal success----and it often equates to setbacks and more pain. It is frustrating, because it is contrary to how many of us have lived our lives, so it is something that is 180* opposite of what we believe.

Please take a look a this:
Lose the Work Ethic While You Are Recovering!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @foodiex2! Just wanted to pop in to see how you are doing. Hope you are getting some much needed sleep. I had one of those nights last night, no sleep! Got to see the sunrise. Leg not in a lot of pain but it just felt so tight and crampy and then the anxiety set in. :scaredycat:
Here's hoping we have sleep and a restful night. :angel:
 
@referee54 wow! How true!! Thanks for sharing, I equate it to when I first opened my restaurant in 1999 my dad would say if you "want it bad enough" you will work! For years I thought that meant 14 hours a day everyday, no time for family...friends or fun. About 5 years ago I decided if that's what it meant I didn't want it anymore. I at that time chose to work a reasonable amount of hours but try very hard to be my best self each day! I would try to enjoy it more and find what I loved about it again, this time including family, friends and fun in my life. Kinda like knee recovery, sometimes we have to let go and let God. This has been a whirlwind of emotion, more than I ever could have imagined but I have already learned so much about myself and I look forward to being able to do things I love without pain again. I have faith it will come. One day at a time. Much love to you all my bone smarties, without you my outlook would not be so positive! Thank you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Does anyone notice their skin around the wound is so incredibly sensitive and hot to the touch ? Suggestions? It is so painful / burned feeling


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom