TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

I found it and merged your two recovery threads together---that way, we can see where yo have been and what issues you have had, as well as what is going on now---the idea is for us to get you the advice that you need as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
I believe most of the pain is coming from my it band. I looked in the library here and researched online. What I don't understand is why it has been ok for months and only recently started hurting. I'm taking ibuprofen and icing every night. Does anyone have ant experience with this
I had IT Band issues well into my recovery from my BTKR---I had to do stretching and I used ice massage---I used Dixie cups and filled them full of water---then I froze them.

I would then apply the ice directly to the affected area, and, as the ice melted, I would peel the paper away. The stretches that I did were these:
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems

[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I had forgotten that my physical therapist had mentioned the ice therapy with cups. I'll try that. Thanks, too for the stretches, I'll add that to my routine.

A special thank u for merging my posts. I know it's best to use the same one to have all the history.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Which leg goes in front. Stupid question I know. Lol


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
To avoid losing your thread you can click bookmark at the bottom of the page, your thread will then appear when you click my bookmarks. I do this to find other people's threads easily too.
 
thanks. I use an ipad most of the time and the bookmark option did not show on there. Now I'll use my desk top. I did book mark. Thanks very much for the tip. Much appreciated
 
I did try the ice in a cup idea. How long do you massage. I only managed about three minutes and it was so cold I had tomstop


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I found it and merged your two recovery threads together---that way, we can see where yo have been and what issues you have had, as well as what is going on now---the idea is for us to get you the advice that you need as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
I had IT Band issues well into my recovery from my BTKR---I had to do stretching and I used ice massage---I used Dixie cups and filled them full of water---then I froze them.

I would then apply the ice directly to the affected area, and, as the ice melted, I would peel the paper away. The stretches that I did were these:
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems

[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
[Bonesmart.org] Five months post tkr and still have problems
I appreciate your help


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is my unscientific answer to your question, I had somewhat the same experience. My PT explained that when our muscles are weak the IT band contracts to help us hold up the leg. As our muscles become more toned, there is sometimes a little war between the IT band which has contracted and the muscles which now want the IT band to relax!! IT band stretches do help me---also I have found that yoga helps keep my muscles, tendons and whatever stretched out and toned. We do have an articles in the library:

ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments It does take some time to stretch out the muscles surrounding the IT band. The band itself is a thick, fibrous band and it takes a lot to make it stretch. Mostly I work on elongating my quads and hamstrings and that seems to help quite a lot.

Perhaps you are back at work and living life and have not bothered to stretch your muscles out after a hard day?
 
Its good to know I am not the only one with this issue with the IT band. Supposedly I'm done with therapy but I may call and try to be seen for a few more visits. I have long had problems with the hip on that side and have had many cortisone injections. Does the it band run all the way up to the hip? Last night I used the ice massage and tried the stretching exercice described in the library. It just annoys me that I was doing so well, here it is 7 months later and now I'm having pain. It doesn't seem to bother too much walking or sleeping. Stairs are an issue as is a lot of walking. I am going back to the silver sneakers exercise class which focuses mostly on stretching in hopes that will help too.

Again, I must say this site has provided me with more information than the physician or even the PT. It helps to realize that others face the same struggles and are willing to share their wisdom. SO thank you to everyone
 
@Blueslady I use an iPad all the time for bonesmart correspondence, the bookmark button is the very right hand side one below the last message. It should appear below my message when you get it. Hope this helps. I am still having problems with tight muscles 8 months after one knee and 15 months after the other, because I lost an awful lot of weight after knee 2. You are not the only one.
 
Which leg goes in front. Stupid question I know. Lol
No such things as a stupid question---not at all. I was taught to put the sore leg in front of the leg that is not in pain. By putting the affected leg in front, you are putting a tiny bit of tension on it when you stretch. Just try to hold the stretching for 30 seconds---gently stretching, and do not bounce during the stretch.
 
thanks for the response and for not making me feel really dumb. I appreciate the information and willl try the stretch this afternoon.
 
thanks for much, I'm sorry you are having problems, but it's helpful to know others are in the same situation. Best of luck to you. I wish I had lost weight, I did but have gained most of it back
 
I have also had problems with the left side---I have had bursitis there too. the IT band is a thick, fibrous band that attaches at the hip and then again at the lateral knee. It is a great support for the knee and hip joints, but it does contract and then the problems begin.
 
And beyond. Next to the quads, it's the biggest structure in the body

Look in these articles and they will tell you all!
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues
Trochanteric bursitis
Josephine, I have had the trochanteric bursitis in my R hip long before the RT knee was replaced. Now the hip is very painful as is the IT band. I've been trying the ice massage and the stretching, do you think another cortisone injection into the hip would help both areas? You are such a help to everyone here. I hope people realize how great this site is and recommend it to their friends.
 
MY IT Bands were in stereo, and they were pesky little boogers. Again, take it gently and easily---stretch and ice, and be patient.
Thanks. I can see it's a problem for many. I will keep using ice and trying the stretches. I'm also doing senior exercises


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have also had problems with the left side---I have had bursitis there too. the IT band is a thick, fibrous band that attaches at the hip and then again at the lateral knee. It is a great support for the knee and hip joints, but it does contract and then the problems begin.
Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping the stretches help. I had been pain free for awhile and it suddenly really started bothering me. Getting in and out of my car is painful too


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did end up seeing an OS and getting a shot of cortizone in my bursa. If you feel your hip on the side---the greater trochaner, the bursa is right over it. If that is really sore then think about a shot of cortisone to get pain relief. I had a PA do the shot, so there was not long wait to see the doc.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom