TKR Five months post tkr and still have problems

Hi! Just wanted to encourage you a bit.... At 3 mon I was grumbling with swelling and no energy. At 4 mon, swelling has all but disappeared ( when I do too much, it returns! ) and energy is coming back also. This is definitely a long term recovery. Patience is one of the most important yet most elusive keys to handling it!
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
I'm doing well, but my dad fell, broke his hip last Thursday and had a partial hip replacement. Head over to my thread if you're curious. :yikes:
 
Hope you're doing well and those stomach issues have stayed away.
 
So now I am four months post tkr. The knee is coming alon, still some swelling and pain on the outside, but over all doing well. Still struggling with diarrhea on occasion. My biggest problems are both my hips and my back. My therapist thinks it's from walking different for so long. I seldom sleep well as I can't lay on either side and my back begins to hurt if I lay on it all night. Also, going down stairs is fine, coming back up is painful no matter which leg I lead with.

I'm faithfully doing the home exercises my therapist gave me in hopes things will improve.

I wanted to see how everyone is doing. Reading of everyone's difficulties as well as their successes helped me a great deal in the first few months

Happy new year


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Blueslady, Do you have a recommendation for getting a good nights sleep?




Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
I have used a pillow under both my knees which has helped. Also when I'm able to lie on my side I place a pillow behind my side. I have also found light covers make it easier to move around. Early on I spent many nights in my recliner. Hope this helps. It seems difficulty getting comfortable enough to sleep is a common problem


Good luck


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm doing well, thanks for asking. My dad's hip replacement recovery has taken a few turns so it's taken some concern and time. He was on a ladder, which he had promised he wouldn't do when he fell into concrete. My dad is a very independent 84 year old and has balked at everything to do with the hip replacement, including insisting on leaving the hospital, then falling out of bed his first night at home and suffering a seroma two weeks ago. You can read about it on my thread if you like, I don't want to bore you. But I've been trying to learn about hip recovery to help him even though he's undergone 2 TKRs.
@Timetolive has been struggling with problems similar to yours, so I've been thinking of you and hoping you're doing well.
 
Good morning. I have been back reading your thread. I am suffering from diarrhea and was wondering what you are doing to help it? I read that you thought it was your NSAIDs, but now see you still have it sometimes. Are you taking a probiotic still? Have you found anything that helps or sets it off? I am sorry you are still having this problem. I have had it for 2 weeks now.
 
Hello all. I've not posted in a long time and could not find my thread. I had tkr in sept and was doing well. Lately I've been having pan in the back of my knee especially in bed. I've tried sleeping with a pillow under my knees. Any one else had this so long after surgery
 
Not uncommon to have pain in back of the knee per my OS. I've had it with both surgeries. Eventually goes away when swelling goes down in back of knee
 
Thanks. I'm still icing, but not the back. Maybe I should ice or elevate



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You can Ice and Elevate at the same time. Here is an article on how to elevate your leg. Elevation is the key
The back of the knee can be a major source of pain after TKR, hope the ice helps.
 
Thanks. I have not been elevating, but will try it again as I ice each evening. Appreciate the advise


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
And you can ice the front and the back of your knee at the same time.
 
@Blueslady, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Thanks for your help. Appreciate everyone who offers help, suggestions, or just listens


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I forgot how to locate my previous posts so perhaps someone would be kind enough to combine them for me. I had tkr in September and was doing quite well. Thought the worst was over. Surprise, it's not. I've been having quite a bit of discomfort lately. Getting in and out of my car is difficult. Walking is not too bad. I believe most of the pain is coming from my it band. I looked in the library here and researched online. What I don't understand is why it has been ok for months and only recently started hurting. I'm taking ibuprofen and icing every night. Does anyone have ant experience with this


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom