Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fire wolf recovery<

Thank you for the information @Josephine. It definitely eased my mind. Thank you to everyone else for the support and well wishes. :friends: My OS recommended no dental procedures for 6-9 months post-op which is also partly why I pre-medicated. I am glad I did just because of the fact that I did end up getting a root canal. Was able to sleep last night, and mouth is just a little sore today. I am certain that ice cream will help that! :yes:
Thank you for the kneeversary wishes, @kmak81230! :) :-) (: I am utterly exhausted today, but do have a long weekend of rest ahead of me. I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow, but beyond that, nothing planned, so will just see how I feel.
Was working on a 4 month update, but it was getting super long, so will have to modify it.
 
Happy (?) 4 month Kneeversary @Fire wolf! I'm so glad to hear you managed to get some sleep last night; yay!:happydance:I'm also glad to hear you don't feel too much tooth pain today and have a LONG weekend to rest! Be a total bum!:friends:

I did inquire for you today about dental procedures with the PA at my surgeon's office. He said they used to recommend pre-medicating with antibiotics, but no longer; haven't for about a year. However, if one has an active infection, obviously antibiotics are needed, before and after. He also stressed the importance of addressing any infections quickly, faster=better, so you acted promptly and have done the right thing in his opinion.

The surgeon who did my hip 5 years ago (different doc) told me I'd be taking antibiotics for life before any dental work. The dentist agreed with him. And now? I'm going with the opinion of my fab knee OS, for a million, valid reasons. He's "The Man," as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you have gallons of ice-cream on hand, some good books and television shows lined up and perhapsmore than one nice bottles of wine! Make this weekend all about nurturing you! :flwrysmile:
 
@Pheebs52, thank you for inquiring at your visit today, and congrats on the fast track status!!:running: I am a bit behind on everyone's threads, including my own, but was just a tiring week. I do have some Netflix to watch on my tablet (I don't currently have regular tv), as well as some reading I would like to do. Ice cream is a definite, but chocolate milk is as strong as *adult beverages* get for me. So you can feel free to have my allotment of wine! :cheers2: And it is a happy 4 month kneeversary for me, as there is much about this whole journey thus far that I am grateful for. If I look at it from the right perspective, even falling on it the night of surgery showed me that I can handle whatever comes my way and that I could get up off of the floor myself, even at that point, if I needed to. :yes!: I measured my ROM today, and I am 0°-143°, which is a gain of 5° in flexion since I finished PT a month ago, and I haven't done any additional exercises, just going to work every day. :yay: So my goal of 150°-155° is still within my sights. There is still swelling that needs to go away, but all in due time. Going to crash early. Have massage in morning and I am wiped. Hope to do some catching up here over the weekend.:wave:
 
You deserve a good sleep tonight so I hope the sleep fairies are with you! Hopefully with no tooth pain.
Update us when you can!
 
wowza Fire wolf ~ you're flexion is amazing as is your extension. get some rest this weekend, especially being on antibiotics with your dental issue.
 
4 months and counting:

At 4 months out should I still be having energy drain? :chinstroke: Well, I guess it doesn't really matter if I *should*, because I am totally wiped out. :yawn: I had a nap last night, went to bed early, had another nap this afternoon! :bored: Not really what I want to be doing, but I guess it's what I need. And things can certainly be worse.

So where do things stand with Bionic Spence. Well, I am no longer wishing that I never had this done. I can look back over the past 4 months and see alot of positive stuff.

I am able to walk up and down stairs foot over foot with no need for handrails, and when Spence gets in the mood, he can go up steps 2 at a time, can lightly jog up the steps, and lightly *hop* down them, in a light jogging way. He can even come down from standing on a chair by stepping down with good leg first.

I have been able to go to work and get through both the commute and the work day, and each week has become easier. No limping or assistive aides, even when toting 30-40 pounds on my shoulder. I have had to get creative at times when doing things to accomodate Spence. For the most part, however, I don't think too much about Spence and what he can and can't do. It seems as though he can do whatever he decides that he wants to do. Walking long distances seems good as well. So as long as I am not too tired, I feel as if Spence can handle anything that comes along.

I still have some swelling and tightness, and ice is our daily companion, but at this point just at night. I am very happy with my ROM and gait, as those were 2 things that were a focus of mine early on. I do have some recurring pain, perhaps nerve pain, that comes and goes in my upper thigh, and while it is annoying and bothersome, I can deal with it

I am generally taking Tylenol every morning and night before bed, but not always during the day. I am also spending far less of my time thinking about Spence throughout the day, which is great. And Spence is looking more and more like a *normal* knee each week.

So overall, despite the fact that the universe hates me, I guess that I am doing ok!:loll: Looking forward to more progress in the next few months!
 
:wowspring:You are an inspiration! You are doing everything that I wish I could do, and can't quite yet. I wish I could walk a good distance, but unfortunately, my foot is killing me. I wish I could go up and down stairs like you too, and most of all, I envy you're not thinking about the little imp Spence all the time. I think my day is consumed with thoughts about Bob, and what I can and cannot do. I, too, still get wiped out after moderate activity and yearn to do more. But you seem to be taking everything in stride (no pun intended) and I am so very happy for you. It will just get better and better, and I am hoping I will follow in your footsteps. :yes!:
 
Thanks, @Lil Cyborg. Bob will get there at some point as well. It has not been an easy journey so far by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been very committed to Spence and his recovery.
 
Fire wolf ~ you are doing way more than okay, you are doing amazing. i'm not surprised at your energy drain since you work so hard, physically and mentally, all week long; it's good that you are taking naps on the weekend, especially since just 4 months post op and on top of that your dental issues. i experienced the energy drain today after the "pack walk", not the walk itself but the 2 hour drive there and 2 hours back with the sun in my face; had to take a 3 hour nap! most of us have the swelling, tightness and recurring pain ~ remember it's a year long recovery at best and you're only a third of the way there. continue to take care of yourself when you're off work.
 
Marie - what a great 4 month report. You are doing a LOT and doing it well!
You will get over that spent tired feeling eventually I am sure and if all the other aspects of getting Spence to behave are working then you are golden!
I will be happy if I can get Nellie to bend a little more in the coming months!
 
What a great report and great bend! I think we are alike. I want it all and I want it now....I don't have patience with myself. By this time next year this will just seem like a bad dream and we will have all our function back. Month by month we see the difference!
 
Spent most of the weekend sleeping. Sleeping in, taking naps, going to bed early. :sleep::zzz: My hope is that Bionic Spence will be better behaved this week as a result. Still having some medial pain, and some mild swelling, but nothing too terrible. I wish that the scar would lose it's redness and sensitivity already.
Yes, @becticu, we are quite similar. I have very little patience with myself, and this recovery has not really helped me gain too much patience either! :nah: Probably the worst thing I found was the goniometer app! After I finished PT, I always wondered how my ROM has been progressing, and now I can track it regularly! I know that shouldn't be a focus, but it is for me. I blame the athlete in me! :wink: Yes, functionality is very important to me, and I am aware of how that continues to improve. Will I still push the envelope at times, but of course, but I am also well aware of the potential repercussions of those things, and it's generally, for me, nothing that ice and Tylenol can't fix. At this point in time, it's a *risk* I'm willing to take, as I know that Spence is solid, and I probably can't hurt him, just the surrounding tissues and stuff. By no means will I be training for a marathon or anything, just trying to get normal life back.
 
oh gosh, now I need to go look for that app! I'm a numbers kind of girl. I swear I obsessed over my knee yesterday. Wore my mental brain out. I had out my meter a few times measuring in different positions. 115-127 lol.
 
Just chiming in on measurements and how different we all are! I have NEVER been measured and quite happy to go by function.
I'm not an athlete but really want to get back to hiking in the woods.
Last week on a trip I was able to go a mile.... Yay!
When I'm in bed reading, I lie on my back with knees bent outward and down. Each week my heel creeps up farther in my inner leg. That' s my measurement! My new knee is ALMOST to where my other knee is, replaced 2 years ago so I'm happy.
We all get there one way or another :)
 
I cannot, will not get that app. If I could measure often, I would obsessively do so. It would consume me. But perhaps an app is helpful to you. It will provide reassurance that your knee is progressing. Just be careful to not overdo the exercise. More is not better in most cases!
 
My OS was not interested in numbers or measuring, but I am sure that is bc he knew that I was! Even PT didn't look to measure often, I generally requested it. I am super happy with my functioning overall. When I was able to spend all day walking an amusement park with no assistance, 20,000+ steps, at 11 weeks post op I was thrilled. That was a goal of mine to be able to take my niece and nephew for our annual trip before I returned to work. So in the weeks prior to that I would head out for walks in the neighborhood, starting with 10 min and slowly working up from there, making sure to include hills so I would be ready. This is definitely a different recovery for everyone, as we all have different goals and ways of measuring our progress towards them. Even so, we all seem to share similar struggles throughout.
 
@SusieShoes, fortunately I haven't been obsessive with the app. Just wanted to have an idea of where I am at, even though there are other ways for me to check, like bending both knees together and seeing the difference. I haven't added any exercise in yet, just getting through my work days offers enough at this point, but I have done some things that have been normal for me in the past liking taking the stairs 2 at a time, until I realize what I am doing or if Spence complains. I really worked on giving him lots of rest this weekend which has felt very good on many levels. I know that I am only a third of the way through this recovery, give or take, so I am not going crazy just yet. My basketball remains in the back of my vehicle for now. :sad:
 
20,000 steps at 11 weeks is indeed thrilling! I think I will start using a daily step goal in my program. My fitbit died a few weeks before my surgery. Tried to charge it up again , no go, and company has folded.
What do you use @Fire wolf ? Today I used my smartphone. Just don't like to always be carrying it.
Oregon air quality is hazardous right now from wild fires so I saw many people mall walking. I even did a bit of shopping which is rare for me.
 
@Hopetohike, York is a few hours south of me. I am in Northeast PA, in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area. I have been using the Jawbone with Up app for about 5 years now. I liked it because it tracked my sleep in terms of different stages, etc. I haven't looked into any of the other fitness trackers on the market recently, however. There may now be one that suits my needs better. I do like the slim design of it though.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom